Last night's Philly-San Jose game

Colorado Rockies 1976

This game was on HDNet last night...I caught the last half of the third period, when San Jose scored two quick ones (42 seconds apart, I believe) to take a 3-1 lead...a score that the Sharks would later win by.

Things of note:

Philly fans are now booing Daniel Briere every time he touches the puck. I'm guessing it might have something to do with his team worst (by far) -24 +/- rating, as well as the fact that he's not going to come anywhere near the 95 points he put up last year. The fans booed long and loud when the game ended.

The Flyers got outshot by a 40-27 margin by a road-weary team that had played the night before, and according to the commentators were dominated for much of the game. The Flyers also were clearly frustrated by the end of the game, as two of their players took bad penalties at the end of the game, killing any chance they might have had to come back.

Not only have they not won in 9 games (notching just a single point), they haven't scored more than three goals in thirteen games.

They've lost their last 9 games that went to a shootout. Biron's save % in shootouts this year is around 43%...ouch.

They now sit 10th in the conference, and the Islanders...the ISLANDERS!...are just a point behind the Rangers for 8th.

I wanted to see this game but it's blacked out in my area, but yes the fans are not happy.

IMO Stevens is not the type of coach who can motivate a fragile team to mount a comeback.

And I am even happier I did not send in my playoff deposit. If they have any chance they

are going to have to make a splash before the TDL and fire Stevens. I would think

that they made need to move Biron to free up enough $$.

I was flipping back and forth between the ATL-CAR and the PHI-SJ games. Philly looked really sluggish and lackluster, and the fans were unusually quiet for the most part...Meanwhile I was amazed that Atlanta let Lehtonen get shelled in the first period 22 shots to 5 or something like that.

Not just Briere's +/- is among the leader in the golf scoreboard, but his play also equals and he is not making the special team better. Most Flyers fans think Briere cannot excel without good players and he is not the same in the Flyers system.

As for Biron, he was good last night, he mads 37 saves but rarely stealing a game for the team. Anyway, the loss was unacceptable since the Sharks were playing their fourth game in FIVE nights (that is correct). If the league put the game on Friday, Nabokov could be the starter against NJ and we had a possible chance to lose that game.

but the flyers way overpaid for briere, given that he came off the highest scoring team in the league. hopefully GMs don't figure it out that briere and drury were the most overpaid players in the league, simply because they came off such a great team.

Actually, everyone here should know that those big UFA signing backfires most of the time and this year is no exception. Gomez, Drury, Bertuzzi and Briere are decent in their first year but they fail to meet expectation. Rafalski, so far so good and the surprise to me is Roman Hamrlik (22M/4yrs), he is great defensively and he is their unsung hero for the Habs so far.

I think Flyers fans should be happy that the team waited until after the All-Star Break to completely tank it and fall out of playoff contention. Usually this happen in the first 3 months of the season, but the Flyers fans got a treat to have false hope for a much longer period than usual.