2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

Man, it seems the Yankees don't like me. I got to know the rules of baseball and watched some games and shows last year and bang! - for the first time in God knows how many years they missed the playoffs. This season, even though they win a lot, everytime I watch them they lose. I'm a casual fan and I rearely catch games, but I have yet to see a full Yankee win this summer. :blink: A brutal 5th inning tonight with the Yanks allowing seven freaking runs. From that point nothing really went their way defensively. More errors, silly mistakes and the Angels ran away with it, even though NY came back within two in the top of the 8th.

On the good note, Hinske amazes me. I happened to watch him tonight and in his Bronx debut and he makes it happen all the time. His first game was awesome, too, despite him being struck out in the 9th inning to lose the game. Well, you can't always hit a homer...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know the stats on any of those prospects but if they could get it done without giving up talent on their major league roster they could go for it, although it would really deplete their farm system. However I know the Jays could get a better package.....................

One thing against the Phillies getting him would be the fact they're probably bringing in Pedro. They may not want to get rid of any of those prospects for a 32 year old Halladay unless they find themselves in a slump or something going into the deadline. I would think it's almost certain that no matter where Roy goes, he's going to want an extension before signing off on it. I dunno if the Phillies would be up for that. The Dodgers would be a good fit, but I think the same thing applies.

I think he ends up in Boston or (either) NY team, if anywhere. I don't think there's any other team that will pay him what he feels his value is and its certain that both the Sawx and Yanks are on his list of teams he'd accept a trade to. I dunno about the Mets.

There's also the issue that he may want to stay in the northeast and may not want to go to the NL.

If the Yanks can get it done without Joba, Montero, or Betances (in other words they probably cant lol), I say go for it. I don't think Hughes should be off the table. Jackson has been playing like crap for the past month, so even he may not be off the table, but I'd rather not deal him.

I wont be surprised one bit if they can't get anything done. Its literally a rerun of the Santana crap, or we'll see some team on the fringe that deals for him just for the remainder of the season, ala the CC to Milwaukee thing....and he ends up in NY or Boston next offseason lol.

Edited by ghdi

One thing against the Phillies getting him would be the fact they're probably bringing in Pedro. They may not want to get rid of any of those prospects for a 32 year old Halladay unless they find themselves in a slump or something going into the deadline. I would think it's almost certain that no matter where Roy goes, he's going to want an extension before signing off on it. I dunno if the Phillies would be up for that. The Dodgers would be a good fit, but I think the same thing applies.

re: Pedro - I really dont think that effects Halladay. Pedro is a #5 at best now, the Phillies still lack a true #2 starter.. I have no idea why they are even signing him in the first place, hes gonna get killed in that bandbox in philly.. and he doesn't help the Phillies' rotation at all, he just gives them another #4/#5 guy and they have a bunch of those - Happ, Blanton, Moyer (with the way hes performed this year), Lopez, Park.. If they seriously believe Pedro is going to settle their rotation problems, they are terribly wrong.

re: trade - If Philly doesn't want to pay the price in prospects and $ for Halladay they could always settle for a smaller option like Erik Bedard whose having a quiet but nice year for Seattle, although I think hes injury prone.

I think he ends up in Boston or (either) NY team, if anywhere. I don't think there's any other team that will pay him what he feels his value is and its certain that both the Sawx and Yanks are on his list of teams he'd accept a trade to. I dunno about the Mets.

There's also the issue that he may want to stay in the northeast and may not want to go to the NL.

If he goes to Boston or Yankees I gotta believe Toronto will want more from a division rival than they would from say an NL team. As for the Mets, I'd be very shocked if they make a trade for Halladay, they've already come out and said they are hanging onto their top prospects, and again Toronto could get better packages elsewhere.

If the Yanks can get it done without Joba, Montero, or Betances (in other words they probably cant lol), I say go for it. I don't think Hughes should be off the table. Jackson has been playing like crap for the past month, so even he may not be off the table, but I'd rather not deal him.

Im not all familiar with Yankees' farm system but I saw that kid Montero's stats and they are pretty sick.. Yankees should hang onto him IMO.

I wont be surprised one bit if they can't get anything done. Its literally a rerun of the Santana crap, or we'll see some team on the fringe that deals for him just for the remainder of the season, ala the CC to Milwaukee thing....and he ends up in NY or Boston next offseason lol.

If the Yanks' really wanted rotation help they could use a mid-rotation guy (but this depends on how they feel about Wang and Joba for the rest of this season), and they wouldn't have to pay a ton in prospects. Is Hughes the 8th inning guy for the Yanks now? I was going to say maybe they should look into acquiring a quality setup man to help their bullpen, but if Hughes is doing well maybe they don't.

Edited by nmigliore

So this morning Boomer & Carton were talking Roy Hallady to the Yankees, and the core of the trade talks was something to the effect of:

Yankees Get:

Roy Hallady and Vernon Wells

Jays Get:

Joba Chamberlain, Melky Cabrera, maybe Phil Hughes, maybe Johnny Damon

It apparently makes sense from a Jays standpoint because Hallady and Wells make a combined $36MM and Wells' contract is apparently an albatross. Would you discuss this trade, considering the Yankees would probably have to throw in 1-2 prospects as well (Kennedy?)

So this morning Boomer & Carton were talking Roy Hallady to the Yankees, and the core of the trade talks was something to the effect of:

Yankees Get:

Roy Hallady and Vernon Wells

Jays Get:

Joba Chamberlain, Melky Cabrera, maybe Phil Hughes, maybe Johnny Damon

It apparently makes sense from a Jays standpoint because Hallady and Wells make a combined $36MM and Wells' contract is apparently an albatross. Would you discuss this trade, considering the Yankees would probably have to throw in 1-2 prospects as well (Kennedy?)

I really don't want to include Joba in any deal. The rest is all easy to stomach. Damon is in the last year of his contract and I doubt he gets re-signed by us next year, so that deal may be enticing to the Jays.

Obv prospects will have to be included, just as long as they're not named Montero or Betances. If it came down to Joba or one of those two, I'd be more willing to give up Joba.

I'd gladly do it for Damon, Melky, Hughes, and Kennedy + lets see if they'll take Igawa as well.

The Jays are said to want a shortstop though. I think the Yanks only get him as a last resort option (for the Jays meaning) or if the Red Sox get involved.

Edited by ghdi

I love this team right now. Three straight 2-1 wins? And a visit from the pie man tonight? Just awesome. The lack of non-homer offense is a little troubling but as long as it wins. I know it is dangerous but I am starting to believe. Of course something called Sergio Mitre gets the ball for the Yanks tomorrow so that could change. If Wang is going to be out for an extended time, and he had a setback today, I want another starter. I don't want to see the bullpen broken up.

To top today off, the Rangers are making old man Smoltz look old. Three HRs in the 6th for Texas.

Don't forget, this is also free preview week on Extra Innings.

I love this team right now. Three straight 2-1 wins? And a visit from the pie man tonight? Just awesome. The lack of non-homer offense is a little troubling but as long as it wins. I know it is dangerous but I am starting to believe. Of course something called Sergio Mitre gets the ball for the Yanks tomorrow so that could change. If Wang is going to be out for an extended time, and he had a setback today, I want another starter. I don't want to see the bullpen broken up.

To top today off, the Rangers are making old man Smoltz look old. Three HRs in the 6th for Texas.

Don't forget, this is also free preview week on Extra Innings.

I have to tell you, since I started religiously following the Yankees in 2004, [before then I was too young to be hardcore] I have never felt this in love with a Yankees team. I'm just so elated by this team right now. And thanks for the Extra Innings heads up :thumbsup:

A 9-1 home stand. Very nice. Losing Gardner hurts. I am not a fan of Melky. Also, Mitre has been lucky to face two poor hitting teams. I am not confident he will be able to deliver when he faces a real team.

Looking at the standings it amazes me how much the Yankees record vs Boston has kept the Red Sox in it. If the Yankees were 4-4 vs Boston (nothing crazy) the AL East standings would be:

1 - New York 64-34 -- (best record in baseball)

2 - Boston 53-44 10.5

3 - Tampa 54-46 11.0

Talk about running away and hiding. The Yankees are 60-30 against the rest of baseball. That includes their poor record vs Anaheim.

A 9-1 home stand. Very nice. Losing Gardner hurts. I am not a fan of Melky. Also, Mitre has been lucky to face two poor hitting teams. I am not confident he will be able to deliver when he faces a real team.

Looking at the standings it amazes me how much the Yankees record vs Boston has kept the Red Sox in it. If the Yankees were 4-4 vs Boston (nothing crazy) the AL East standings would be:

1 - New York 64-34 -- (best record in baseball)

2 - Boston 53-44 10.5

3 - Tampa 54-46 11.0

Talk about running away and hiding. The Yankees are 60-30 against the rest of baseball. That includes their poor record vs Anaheim.

Yeah, and people will tell you things like "oh, the Sox will make it up when they sweep New York next month" but honestly, its two completely different teams. The Yanks that lost 8 in a row to the Sox are long gone; the team in the Bronx right now will be more than capable of handling the Sox, even in Boston.

Bronson Arroyo is owed $11M in 2010 with a $2M buyout in 2011.. the Yankees could probably get Cincy to eat some of his salary but I dont understand why they would bring this flyball pitcher in to such a HR haven (even more-so than Great American Ballpark).. he gives up alot of hits (nearly 10 hits per 9 IP) and he nearly averages giving up 2 HR/9IP... no to mention hes playing in a much smaller market, although he did come up with Boston..

But still, why on Earth would the Yankees have any interest in him?!

But still, why on Earth would the Yankees have any interest in him?!

Mgmt doesnt think that we have enough arms.

I can't say I disagree with that entirely.

They're going to get someone before Friday. I just hope its not Jarrod Washburn (and thankfully wont be Arroyo). I say go for Roy or stand pat.

Mgmt doesnt think that we have enough arms.

I can't say I disagree with that entirely.

thats fair, but Arroyo? a better back-of-rotation option would be doug davis whose contract expires after this year. a nice front-end option would be erik bedard but the damn guy cant stay off the DL and the mariners would want the world for him even though even though hes just a rental.

(edit: i just noticed bedard went on the DL, again, just yesterday.. yeesh)

but if the yankees got halladay they can pretty much bank on a world series win though...

Edited by nmigliore

thats fair, but Arroyo? a better back-of-rotation option would be doug davis whose contract expires after this year. a nice front-end option would be erik bedard but the damn guy cant stay off the DL and the mariners would want the world for him even though even though hes just a rental.

(edit: i just noticed bedard went on the DL, again, just yesterday.. yeesh)

but if the yankees got halladay they can pretty much bank on a world series win though...

Arizona was talking about extending Davis and Milwaukee's been after him for months with nothing going on so that's probably not going to happen. They probably just remember how good Arroyo was for Boston 5 years ago and are waxing poetic about that.

If they had to give up Joba AND Hughes for Halladay hell would have to freeze over before they make that deal. especially if they have to give up Montero, the best catching prospect in baseball (unless you count Wieters still)