2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

Hughes has made 7 starts. He got absolutely destroyed in one start vs the Orioles and that skews his starting numbers badly. Hughes' k/9 as a starter was very good and Hughes doesn't walk anyone.

Joba is throwing "plenty hard" compared to say Jamie Moyer but not to 2007 Joba. He sits in the low to mid 90s. He does not hit 96-97 consistently like he used to.

But if hes getting strikeouts/general outs whats the difference how hard he throws?

I just dont get the consensus that throwing hard = you are good. There are plenty of guys who dont hit mid to high 90s with their fastball and are very successful starting pitchers.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if hes getting strikeouts/general outs whats the difference how hard he throws?

I just dont get the consensus that throwing hard = you are good. There are plenty of guys who dont hit mid to high 90s with their fastball and are very successful starting pitchers.

It doesn't. But when you were throwing 96-97 consistently and are now coming in at 92 there are questions that need to be asked.

It doesn't. But when you were throwing 96-97 consistently and are now coming in at 92 there are questions that need to be asked.

I may be wrong on this, but perhaps thats an effect of him starting every 5th day and tossing 100 pitches opposed to pitching 10 or so pitches every other day out of the bullpen?

I dont know if Joba threw hard as a starter in the minors or college, but thats what you would need to find out to tell if something is wrong... maybe he even toned it down as a starter to avoid blowing out his arm?

But even so... again, if hes getting outs and pitching well, and its just the walks that are a plaguing him, i dont see the problem with him throwing lower than what he would out of the bullpen.

edit: I guess you could have a gripe if he was throwing hard as a starter last year.. then there could be something wrong.

Edited by nmigliore

A-Rod is back. That smell is the rest of the AL sh!tting their pants.

Joba and velocity, here is a nice piece on that:

http://riveraveblues.com/2009/07/getting-u...mberlain-13954/

His velocity is way down. There is smoke there.

At the end he says, "As I said, I have no answers. I don’t even know if we should worry about it, per se. It’s something to watch as the season drags on, and if, by the end of the year, the velocity hasn’t returned, then we can start to wonder about the long-term implications of Joba Chamberlain’s Amazing Disappearing Fastball."

He basically says it best -- its something to watch as the season drags on, but thats about it. i mean im sure if joba had ANY sort of shoulder issues the yankees would know about it.... unless their medical staff was as bad as the mets' med-staff <_<

this is gonna sound stupid, but, has anyone actually asked joba about this? again maybe its something he implemented to try and get better control or to keep more stamina as a starter.. or maybe hes worried of running into shoulder problems if he tries to dial it up to the mid-90s with every fastball he throws as a starter.... just throwing out ideas

Edited by nmigliore

I like this team a lot, definitely more than past years, but does anyone else feel that it could all fall apart at any instant?

I really like getting Hinske for some reason though and I wonder if Cashman has got anything up his sleeve for the deadline.

I like this team a lot, definitely more than past years, but does anyone else feel that it could all fall apart at any instant?

yea. i feel like losing any of the core guys in our lineup could cause the whole offense to shut down, they all feed off of each others success.

that goes for the pitching staff too.

I really like getting Hinske for some reason though and I wonder if Cashman has got anything up his sleeve for the deadline.

I truly believe this team is capable of going all the way and there is no doubt in my mind that they will make the playoffs. However, I do get this vibe that they could easily go cold at the worst moment and throw there season away in the ALCS or WS just as much as I envision them winning it all. I don't know that's just my gut feeling.

I trust Cashman so I'm not worried about what may/may not happen at the deadline.

I'd still like a decent OFer (Damon scares me) and another bullpen arm. With Wang hurt now another arm becomes vital.

Also, someone who can back up 2B capably so Cano can get some days off. He is just brutal right now.

Yankees winning in spite of their poor situational hitting this homestand which is nice to see.

Kim Jones has no idea how to react to the pie. It is kind of funny.

the one thing i noticed (via pitchFX) about joba that has changed quite a bit this year is how much his changeup has developed compared to 2007/2008 ..

changeup in 2007: horizontal movement: -1.5 , vertical movement: 1.8

changeup in 2008: horizontal movement: -3.0 , vertical movement: 1.2

changeup in 2009: horizontal movement: -8.8 , vertical movement: 4.9

and for peteynice's sake - this velocity chart which shows how much joba's velocity has dropped (on his fastball):

2692_P_FA_20090705.png

(chart and data from fangraphs.com .. excellent site for pitchFX and other in depth data)

Edited by nmigliore

Apparently, Toronto is taking offers for Halladay. Who's gonna bite though? I'd want the Yanks to get involved, but I fear what would have to be given up.

I was listening to that on ESPN 1050 this morning, and it seems that most experts believe the conversation starts with two top-level prospects and, if it happens, will resemble the Johan Santana deal.

I doubt we have the pieces to do this. We definitely have the cash to PAY Hallady (he's probably going to look for 5-6 years in the neighborhood of $20mm per on a contract extension), but getting a hold of him might be a tricky proposition.

If the deal is going to get done this year, I think the Phillies are desperate enough to pay Toronto's price for him. MAYBE Los Angeles, but more than likely Philly.

I think Philly will end up with him.. I think Toronto would demand back talent that is already on LA's roster (ie: Kershaw) and the Dodgers wouldn't do that... the Dodgers are probably more likely to pick up a rental like Bedard.

Edited by nmigliore

I'd love to get Halladay but I don't think it would make sense considering what they would have to give up. The Jays would want at least one of Hughes, Joba, Montero and then probably 2 of the likes of Jackson, McAllister, Romine, etc. It's too big of a gamble to mortgage parts of the future for a great pitcher that could start to decline and have health issues down the road (I'm assuming he gets an extension in a trade). I'd rather rely on keeping the kids and hoping CC and AJ can carry this staff down the stretch and in the post season.

If Cashman wasn't willing to give up those pieces for a younger Santana, he won't for Halladay. The Yankees certainly have the prospects to get it done if they wanted to.

In other news, after losing the first 5 games of the season to the Yankees including a blowout last night, the Twins wised up. Glen Perkins, who the Yankees chased in the first inning earlier this year, has been scratched tonight. Instead the Twins are going with Yankee kryptonite, a pitcher they have never faced. Something called Anthony Swarzak gets the ball for Minnesota. Expect 7IP, 4 H 0ER.

If Cashman wasn't willing to give up those pieces for a younger Santana, he won't for Halladay. The Yankees certainly have the prospects to get it done if they wanted to.

jeez, if the yankees got halladay they would be easily instant favorites to win the world series. plus, since they are such big spenders, they probably could pull off re-signing him after 2010. if i were part of the yankees brass i would heavily consider it.

but according to joel sherman, yankees officials told him they wont trade for him because of the salary and they dont wanna give up prospects.

i still have a bad feeling (bad from a mets fan standpoint) philly will get the deal done.. according to Jon Heyman, one of the pieces the Jays want is a SS, the Phillies have an MLB-ready SS in Jason Donald, as well as other pretty good pitching prospects like Carlos Carrasco, Kyle Drabek, Antonio Bastardo, Jason Knapp, and J.A. Happ.

Edited by nmigliore

jeez, if the yankees got halladay they would be easily instant favorites to win the world series. plus, since they are such big spenders, they probably could pull off re-signing him after 2010. if i were part of the yankees brass i would heavily consider it.

but according to joel sherman, yankees officials told him they wont trade for him because of the salary and they dont wanna give up prospects.

i still have a bad feeling (bad from a mets fan standpoint) philly will get the deal done.. according to Jon Heyman, one of the pieces the Jays want is a SS, the Phillies have an MLB-ready SS in Jason Donald, as well as other pretty good pitching prospects like Carlos Carrasco, Kyle Drabek, Antonio Bastardo, Jason Knapp, and J.A. Happ.

he was money for the blue claws when they won the SAL Championship.

anyway...i think the Dodgers will end up getting Halladay and become the favorites for the WS.

Anyway how did Aceeves pitch? I forgot the game was on.

he was money for the blue claws when they won the SAL Championship.

anyway...i think the Dodgers will end up getting Halladay and become the favorites for the WS.

for some reason i cant see LA getting him though.. they have alot of young talent on their current MLB team like Troncoso, Kershaw, Broxton, Billingsley, Loney, Ethier, and Kemp.. Im unfamiliar with their farm system, so maybe they have some gems on the farm that could lead them to pulling it off without giving up any of the talent on their current roster.. but its hard for me to imagine why Ricciardi (Jays' GM) wouldn't want one of those guys listed (ie: Kershaw) with some other prospects in return for Halladay.

edit, heres a quote Baseball America had on the dodgers farm system (written in january):

With so many players reaching the majors or being traded, the Dodgers are thinner at the upper levels of the minors than they have been in recent years.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...009/267509.html - its at the bottom of that article.. it also says 6 of their top 10 prospects are from last year's draft; thats alot, and sort of points to the fact their farm system is weak.

Edited by nmigliore

for some reason i cant see LA getting him though.. they have alot of young talent on their current MLB team like Troncoso, Kershaw, Broxton, Billingsley, Loney, Ethier, and Kemp.. Im unfamiliar with their farm system, so maybe they have some gems on the farm that could lead them to pulling it off without giving up any of the talent on their current roster.. but its hard for me to imagine why Ricciardi (Jays' GM) wouldn't want one of those guys listed (ie: Kershaw) with some other prospects in return for Halladay.

edit, heres a quote Baseball America had on the dodgers farm system (written in january):

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...009/267509.html - its at the bottom of that article.. it also says 6 of their top 10 prospects are from last year's draft; thats alot, and sort of points to the fact their farm system is weak.

something along the lines of

James McDonald, Chris Withrow, Ivan DeJesus Jr./Devaris Gordon and a middle of the road prospect should be enough to get it done. You think yeah im giving up some of my better prospects...but like the article says you have a thin minor league system which means your window of opportunity is open right now. And LA is a big market they can go out and add pieces through FA. Either way its going to be interesting. I would love to see a NLCS of LA-Philly.

And for the record i dont see Halladay ever coming to the Yankees or even Boston for that matter because of the size of the parks the teams play in. I remember last year after opening day when Melky hit a YS HR he cursed off the ballpark right after it got over the RF wall.

And for the record i dont see Halladay ever coming to the Yankees or even Boston for that matter because of the size of the parks the teams play in. I remember last year after opening day when Melky hit a YS HR he cursed off the ballpark right after it got over the RF wall.

Money talks. Theres very few teams that can afford him.

something along the lines of

James McDonald, Chris Withrow, Ivan DeJesus Jr./Devaris Gordon and a middle of the road prospect should be enough to get it done. You think yeah im giving up some of my better prospects...but like the article says you have a thin minor league system which means your window of opportunity is open right now. And LA is a big market they can go out and add pieces through FA. Either way its going to be interesting. I would love to see a NLCS of LA-Philly.

I dont know the stats on any of those prospects but if they could get it done without giving up talent on their major league roster they could go for it, although it would really deplete their farm system. However I know the Jays could get a better package of prospects from a team like the Phillies, who have 3 prospects that were ranked in the top 25 by Baseball America (here - http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=5456) .. out of that list, the Dodgers have no prospects in the top 50 (while the Phillies have 4, with 3 of them in the top 25 as i said)

Its also worth noting they are going to eventually need rotation help in the future too, which is why they may want to hang onto some of their pitching prospects.. Billingsley and Kershaw should be there for awhile (and should be their #1 and #2 for years), but after that its pretty empty (Randy Wolf is a free agent after this year, Hiroki Kuroda is 34).. so if they do make that trade they better have plans to re-sign Halladay.

Halladay, Billingsley, Kershaw is a pretty formidable 1-3 though.. even if its just for the rest of this year and all of next year.. but they would be even more set if they could lock him up after that

Edited by nmigliore