2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

thats fair, but Arroyo? a better back-of-rotation option would be doug davis whose contract expires after this year. a nice front-end option would be erik bedard but the damn guy cant stay off the DL and the mariners would want the world for him even though even though hes just a rental.

I have no idea why they were thinking Arroyo. Sounds like penny pinching. I would hate to see him in pinstripes.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea why they were thinking Arroyo. Sounds like penny pinching. I would hate to see him in pinstripes.

Not penny pinching, since he's owed something like $20 million for the rest of this year and next. probably just that it wouldn't cost them anything

Hey, do you CC how overpaid I am?

I understand the frustration but I like the take that Mike over on RAB has regarding Sabathia. We all know that free agents get way overpaid, thus leads to really high expectations, but so far Sabathia has worked out well for the Yankees.

On an unrelated note, I didn't watch the game tonight since I have been doing a ton of studying but I had it up on gameday so I could glance at it. At least it looks like Melancon pitched well, especially since he has been sitting for a while. That's something positive to take out of tonight's game. Hopefully the Yankees take this series tomorrow.

EDIT: Not shocking news but you have to feel bad for Wang...as per Pete Abe he is going to have season ending surgery.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Not only Wang but now Aceves is complaining about his shoulder. Cashman needs to do something.

Also, lots of national TV Yankee action coming up!

Tonight @ Tampa Bay ESPN

Tomorrow @ Chicago MLB Network

Saturday @ Chicago, FOX (Regional - Braves vs Dodgers GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

And then....

next Thursday vs Boston MLB Network

next Saturday vs Boston FOX

next Sunday vs Boston ESPN

Edited by PeteyNice

I'm really hoping Aceves is just tired and not actually injured. He claims that this is just normal pain but who knows what is going on. If Cashman could get a fair deal I wouldn't mind acquiring Washburn.

I got mlb.tv since I knew I was going to be in Tennessee for two months so that's how I've been watching the games, but for national games, that means I should get them, except anything that is on FOX since those are regional correct? mlb.tv is good stuff but the internet connection where I am staying can get slow so if I could watch a game on normal tv I'd much rather do that.

I'm really hoping Aceves is just tired and not actually injured. He claims that this is just normal pain but who knows what is going on. If Cashman could get a fair deal I wouldn't mind acquiring Washburn.

I got mlb.tv since I knew I was going to be in Tennessee for two months so that's how I've been watching the games, but for national games, that means I should get them, except anything that is on FOX since those are regional correct? mlb.tv is good stuff but the internet connection where I am staying can get slow so if I could watch a game on normal tv I'd much rather do that.

If the game is on Fox you are blacked out of MLB.tv. Depending on where in TN you are you may get Yankees/White Sox as the game. More likely though you will be enjoying Braves/Dodgers like me. The Fox game against the Red Sox you should get. The only other game is Angels/Rangers.

Philly gave up a lot of guys for Lee.

Edited by PeteyNice

If the game is on Fox you are blacked out of MLB.tv. Depending on where in TN you are you may get Yankees/White Sox as the game. More likely though you will be enjoying Braves/Dodgers like me.

Guys that haven't done anything yet. From Philly's perspective, its a virtual steal. They have a deep farm system and didnt have to give up Drabek or Dominic Brown.

What it does is it really hurts the Jays leverage w/ a Halladay deal.

Edited by ghdi

they gave up basically nothing.

I don't know. I'll be the first to admit that outside of heavily hyped Yankee prospects I don't know anything about the minor leagues but Baseball America has all four of the guys in Philly's top 10:

Carrasco (2)

Merson (3)

Donald (4)

Knapp (10)

For comparison:

NYY:

Montero (2)

Brackman (3)

Romine (4)

Bradley Suttle (10)

I would not make that deal. Not with Montero.

NYJV:

Wilmer Flores (2)

Jonathan Niese (3)

Brad Holt (4)

Ed Kunz (10)

Would you make that deal?

Guys that haven't done anything yet. From Philly's perspective, its a virtual steal. They have a deep farm system and didnt have to give up Drabek or Dominic Brown.

or michael taylor.. or JA Happ (who toronto wanted).. very smart move of them to say 'no' to toronto for halladay and then get a very established front-end pitcher in cliff lee AND (somehow) OF'er ben francisco without giving up anything too important

Wilmer Flores (2)

Jonathan Niese (3)

Brad Holt (4)

Ed Kunz (10)

Would you make that deal?

lol no way. im giving up a potential #2 starter (holt), a #3/4 starter (niese), a groundball reliever (kunz, but im not high in him anymore), and a potential miguel cabrera 2.0 (flores) for cliff lee, which makes it 2010 champions or bust.

edit: that top 10 list was at the beginning of the year.. drabek has surpassed all of their pitching prospects and Happ has jumped up that list a ton.. michael taylor and dominic brown are their best positional prospects. also dont forget with rollins being their SS they have no use for donald (who is over-hyped anyway.. have you seen his stats this year in AAA as a 24-year old? they are crap).

Edited by nmigliore

lol per Buster Olney's twitter:

Sources close to the negotiations indicate Blue Jays want Lester, Buchholz, and prospect. No formal offer by Red Sox.

WTF! I would love the Red Sox to do that deal, they never would, but holy crap Riccardi is smoking something. Halladay has one more year left and he sure as hell won't be re-signing in Toronto.

more tweet from that twit:

Yankees balk at dealing Hughes, Chamberlain for Halladay.

I think Hughes (right now) is more valuable than Joba. I'd do a Halladay only if its only one of those two in any package. The only name I see as off limits on the farm is Montero.

Joba/Hughes - Romine + 1 or 2 other guys, depending on who, is the most I'd go. At the very least I want to see the Yankees drive the Red Sox off the table. I'd rather him stay in Toronto.

I had no idea Doc was a mormon lol. That made me laugh for some reason.

Edited by ghdi

lol per Buster Olney's twitter:

WTF! I would love the Red Sox to do that deal, they never would, but holy crap Riccardi is smoking something. Halladay has one more year left and he sure as hell won't be re-signing in Toronto.

more tweet from that twit:

I think Hughes (right now) is more valuable than Joba. I'd do a Halladay only if its only one of those two in any package. The only name I see as off limits on the farm is Montero.

Joba/Hughes - Romine + 1 or 2 other guys, depending on who, is the most I'd go. At the very least I want to see the Yankees drive the Red Sox off the table. I'd rather him stay in Toronto.

I had no idea Doc was a mormon lol. That made me laugh for some reason.

I wouldn't. I would have traded one of them for Santana but not Halladay. The problem Riccardi has is that he is trying to trade the face of the franchise. If he trades him within the division and does not walk away with a ton then he will rightfully be fired. Texas set the bar when they sent Teixeira to Atlanta. I think it is clear by now that no one will meet Toronto's price. However, this is when they have the most leverage. So I predict that they will either deal him now or take the draft picks after 2010.

Yea, its clearly a division tax. Still though, the thought of both Lester AND Halladay together in the playoffs (hell, just the regular season) is absolutely frightening.

Riccardi is going to get canned for not making a deal. Halladay may be the face of that franchise, but that team has been a flounder for 15 years.

Halladay is better than Santana though, espc in regards to the AL East. Age is negligible, Santana is only 2 years younger.

Joba/Hughes together is madness, but one of them is easily digestible.

also on the phils prospects - carrasco and donald have lost their value since that list was published (like i said, those lists were put out before the 2009 season began).. carrasco has sucked in AAA this year and is definitely not their top pitching prospect anymore, and donald, along with being useless to the phillies since hes blocked by rollins, has been bad in AAA as well.. marson would have been nice to for philly to keep, same for knapp.. but they needed a front-end guy badly, and they got one whose under contract for the rest of this year and 2010(lee has a cheap $8M club option for 2010) and ben francisco.. and they get to keep their 2 best hitting prospects in brown and taylor.. along with their best pitching prospect in drabek.

check out this list.. its Baseball America's top 25 overall prospect list updated mid-season (july 9th): http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=5456

brown is #17, taylor is #23, and drabek is #24.. donald, marson and carrasco aren't on that list nor are they even on that 'Other 25' list... like I said, the only true prize they gave up was Knapp.

Edited by nmigliore

If the game is on Fox you are blacked out of MLB.tv. Depending on where in TN you are you may get Yankees/White Sox as the game. More likely though you will be enjoying Braves/Dodgers like me. The Fox game against the Red Sox you should get. The only other game is Angels/Rangers.

I'm literally right outside of Nashville, so I'm probably getting the Braves. I really hope I get the game against the Red Sox (of course I will be watching that one on mute). Thanks for the help and heads up!

Ugh. Rumors circulating that the Yanks still have their hard-on for Jarrod Washburn.

Even if they still want him, the Mariners are going for it, trading for Jack Wilson and Ian Snell (who couldn't even make the Pirates). They've basically gotten lucky off cheap pickups like Branyan and Aardsma, but they don't have a snowball's chance in that division. maybe if they were in the central...but not the west

Even if they still want him, the Mariners are going for it, trading for Jack Wilson and Ian Snell (who couldn't even make the Pirates). They've basically gotten lucky off cheap pickups like Branyan and Aardsma, but they don't have a snowball's chance in that division. maybe if they were in the central...but not the west

Snell isn't that bad, hes got good stuff but has struggled to put it all together (and walks have always been a problem with him). the only reason hes in the minors is because he requested to be put there, and hes been dominant there; so he really should be on the big league team. if he continues to struggle as a starter in the majors though, they could make him a reliever where some people think he might be better off (some think he can be a closer).. though im not sure giving up clement and 3 minor league pitchers (along with SS ronny cedeno) was worth it.. jack wilson is nothing too special either, hes a career .269 hitter who doesn't draw many walks and has only put up a slugging% over .400 twice in his 9 seasons.

Edited by nmigliore

Snell isn't that bad, hes got good stuff but has struggled to put it all together (and walks have always been a problem with him). the only reason hes in the minors is because he requested to be put there, and hes been dominant there; so he really should be on the big league team. if he continues to struggle as a starter in the majors though, they could make him a reliever where some people think he might be better off (some think he can be a closer).. though im not sure giving up clement and 3 minor league pitchers (along with SS ronny cedeno) was worth it.. jack wilson is nothing too special either, hes a career .269 hitter who doesn't draw many walks and has only put up a slugging% over .400 twice in his 9 seasons.

clement was a top 10 prospect as recently as last year and could never play for an extended period with Johjima in front of him. He hasn't shown much however, but is still worth more than a mediocre shortstop and possible middle reliever