2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

clement was a top 10 prospect as recently as last year and could never play for an extended period with Johjima in front of him. He hasn't shown much however, but is still worth more than a mediocre shortstop and possible middle reliever

i know, thats why i said he (snell) might not be worth it. then you add in 3 minor league pitchers and its a great deal for PIT who had no use for wilson and snell who was probably in need of a change of scenery.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know, thats why i said he (snell) might not be worth it. then you add in 3 minor league pitchers and its a great deal for PIT who had no use for wilson and snell who was probably in need of a change of scenery.

and now the pirates robbed the giants blind getting Alderson for Freddy freakin' Sanchez. Two good trades for them

and now the pirates robbed the giants blind getting Alderson for Freddy freakin' Sanchez. Two good trades for them

i wouldnt say its a robbery; san francisco needs any offensive help they can get and sanchez is great doubles hitter. and like i said, i see their rotation being this in a few years: lincecum-cain-bumgarner-?-zito .. they can always fill that back-end rotation hole with someone from free agency or with another pitching prospect, which makes some of these other guys (barnes, alderson) expendable.

yeah I guess since they have bumgarner, alderson's value isn't high enough to make him untouchable, I just think they could have gotten somebody better for him in the offseason but since they're going for it now, if I was a giants fan I could live with it

This trade, on its own, is pretty good. Hairston is ultra-flexible defensively, hits OK, and is semi-fast. Definite bench improvement.

What concerns me, however, is the fact that no one knows who our third starting pitcher is going to be in the playoffs. I _GUESS_ they're saying Joba or bust, but with 110 innings on a presumed 150 IP limit, how are we going to get to the playoffs with our #3 starter needing days off in the stretch? I suppose they call up Hirsh when the rosters expand, and he takes some starts. Whatever. *shrugs*

I understand the need to be cost-conscience (which I believe is why the Yankees didn't pull the trigger on trades for Washburn or Bannister) but this team is probably one starter away from locking up the playoffs. Plus, your closest division rival (Boston) made huge (albeit desperate-looking) moves to improve their struggling offense, and they have two lockdown pitchers in Beckett and Lester.

Unless someone is less healthy than I am led to believe, our only pressing need was a middle-to-back of the rotation starting pitcher, and we failed to deliver on that.

I don't think Hirsh will ever pitch for the Yankees. Scranton was running a 4 man rotation since we called up Mitre and with all of the double headers and make ups they are playing since their field is a mess that could not continue.

It seems it will be Joba or bust. The Yankees have a fair amount of off days at the end of the season so they could skip Joba to rest his innings. I am not optimistic about a quality pitcher making it through waivers either.

Great call on sticking with Mitre for our 5th, cashman. A starting=pitcher getting out of the 2nd inning is SO overrated nowadays.

hey hey he got the first 2 guys out pretty easily :P

Edited by DH26

I would say that they should replace Sergio next, but my god only one man lurks behind him: AAA Superstar Kei Igawa!

Cash please get a warm body in here fast (even though they have won 3/4 of Mitre's starts)

I would say that they should replace Sergio next, but my god only one man lurks behind him: AAA Superstar Kei Igawa!

Cash please get a warm body in here fast (even though they have won 3/4 of Mitre's starts)

PLEASE GOD NO! He is the definition of BUST.

PLEASE GOD NO! He is the definition of BUST.

Chad Gaudin I guess is a warm body and nothing else. can't be worse than Mitre even if he did have a 5+ ERA in the massive petco park. but for a player to be named, you can't really do anything. hopefully a holdover until somebody else. He wasn't bad last year, but he's not that good

Chad Gaudin I guess is a warm body and nothing else. can't be worse than Mitre even if he did have a 5+ ERA in the massive petco park. but for a player to be named, you can't really do anything. hopefully a holdover until somebody else. He wasn't bad last year, but he's not that good

Despite the high ERA, Gaudin actually has an FIP of 3.68 which suggests he isn't that bad, and hes certainly a better option than mitre.

(in case you are unfamiliar with FIP .. "FIP removes defense from the equation by only looking at three factors that a pitcher has demonstrable control over - walks, strikeouts, and home runs allowed." .. "You will get more accurate win values for a pitcher using FIP than you will ERA or RA.")

Edited by nmigliore

Gaudin's whip is 1.5 though which obviously isn't very good but he's only allowing a hit per inning which isn't terrible and a strikeout per inning but some of those fly ball outs in SD are going to fly out of the launching pad in the bronx

Gaudin's whip is 1.5 though which obviously isn't very good but he's only allowing a hit per inning which isn't terrible and a strikeout per inning but some of those fly ball outs in SD are going to fly out of the launching pad in the bronx

he'll be better than mitre and im sure thats all the yankees care about.

Wow, that game had to be the baseball game of the year.

-Burnett and Beckett head to head shutouts

-bullpens barely allowing any hits and people like Bruney, who had been terrible, coming up huge

-even with the lack of hits, with the walks and knowing that one hit could potentially win it kept you on the edge of your seat

-the play by JD Drew and Melky's ball going just foul and V-Mart just missing the HR off of Bruney

-the clutch players, youk, pedroia, jeter, tex, and melky coming up small and then the consummate choke artist A-Rod winning the game off of the Sox last pitcher

-and just the life of the teams on the bench, joba playing the drums, aj and cc always about to come over the railing, paps's rally cap and crazy eyes, just a great game

WOW. What else can you say?

On June 21 after losing to the Braves, the Yankees stood at 38-32, in a virtual tie with Toronto and 5 games out. They had lost 5 of 6 including 2 of 3 to Washington and Florida. Wang again did not look strong that night as Tommy Hanson and the Braves beat the Yankees 4-0 at Yankee Stadium Southeast.

Since that time YOUR twenty-six time World Champions are 30-10. Let me repeat that. 40 games. 30 wins. Obscene. 60% of those losses were @ Anaheim and @ White Sox. At The Stadium? 17-3.

This team is not perfect by any means. They are very fragile and can unravel once they get knocked off the beam. But it has been a long time since the Yankees featured starters capable of what AJ and CC did the last two days.

Oh, and the cherry on top?

New York 68-42

Los Angeles 67-44