Young Devils Coming on Strong

Devil Dan 56

I can't get terribly excited about guys like Jon DiSalvatore (b. 1981) and Chad Wiseman (also b. 1981)...basically, the Craig Darby-types. Rob Pelley isn't going to get me going either. It is nice to see Bergfors finally taking a step forward though...hopefully in a couple of years he can somehow nail down a job at the NHL level for good. Also good to see that Frazee has played well.

I like that 7 out of the top 15 point-getters are rooks...and that they're not stuck in the losing environment that the Devils' AHL squad has been stuck in for some time now.

Good read, especially for those like myself who don't necessarily follow the L-Devs as much as the big team.

Although not a rookie by AHL definitions, defenseman Anssi Salmela has had an impressive debut coming over from his native Finland. He has 23 points in 36 games with Lowell while also contributing three assists in 15 NHL contests with New Jersey.

Not bad. Anyone think he'll be up later this year or is he stuck in Low-hell?

...and can anyone explain what's going on here?

10 Petr Vrana 14 5 4 9 -4 6 3 0 21 0.238

11 Stephen Gionta 25 0 6 6 -3 20 0 0 49 0.000

Well Stephen Gionta isn't that good so I would guess he's getting a lot less ice time then last year. He's never been a viable prospect though so it doesn't matter.

Vrana's numbers aren't that much different than last season and he had an injury so that can explain some of that. Also probably hurt by the team being better and being in a playoff hunt so he's less likely to get all the best offensive time.

Well Stephen Gionta isn't that good so I would guess he's getting a lot less ice time then last year. He's never been a viable prospect though so it doesn't matter.

Vrana's numbers aren't that much different than last season and he had an injury so that can explain some of that. Also probably hurt by the team being better and being in a playoff hunt so he's less likely to get all the best offensive time.

Also, I'm pretty sure Gionta was hurt earlier this year. Broken leg maybe? They must like him as a minor league leader, though. He was Lowell's captain last year. Keeping him on to help the youngin's maybe.

Good read, especially for those like myself who don't necessarily follow the L-Devs as much as the big team.

Not bad. Anyone think he'll be up later this year or is he stuck in Low-hell?

...and can anyone explain what's going on here?

10 Petr Vrana 14 5 4 9 -4 6 3 0 21 0.238

11 Stephen Gionta 25 0 6 6 -3 20 0 0 49 0.000

Vrana started in NJ for the beginning of the season, then played for a few weeks in Lowell and broke his leg and is out for the year.

Edited by DevRickus

Ah I didn't know Vrana broke his leg. That's too bad. Tough year for him.

Shame about Gio, too. He was awesome after coming off BC's run to the Frozen Four in '06. You're right though, he really isn't a viable prospect. More than one undersized guy on your team is a liability.

Ah I didn't know Vrana broke his leg. That's too bad. Tough year for him.

Apparently Vrana also had an agreement to go home and play in the Czech Republic for the rest of the year right before he broke his leg, so he really had some bad luck. Here is Shtikl's post with some info.

Sutter liked Zharkov in camp this past year, I think he'll get a decent shot next year to make the big team.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Also, I'm pretty sure Gionta was hurt earlier this year. Broken leg maybe? They must like him as a minor league leader, though. He was Lowell's captain last year. Keeping him on to help the youngin's maybe.

well, he still has a contract down there too. i can't imagine he's here next year, especially with his brother likely out the door.