It was 30 years ago today! "Potvin Sucks"

Schenley

Who knew? It was 30 years ago tonight that the "Potvin Sucks" chant was born.

Here's an article about it:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/9256608...162&ATT=142

I just read through the entire (admittedly a little long) story. I'm surprised that even though the Devils were mentioned, the author didn't mention the "Rangers Suck" chant that we stole from them. I thoroughly enjoy that chant at the Rock and even more the addition of "Gomez Blows" afterwards.

I did learn the name of the song that precedes the "Rangers/Potvin Sucks!":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jwbt1K50Y

Funny stuff.

Jason Greenberg, a 27-year-old Islanders fan from Bellmore, N.Y., is a prime example of that.

"Life was so much better before the Rangers won that fluke of a Stanley Cup in 1994," he says. "The way they cringed when we did the '1940' chant is how it should have been forever. Now, they use that one year as a reason to somehow be smug towards us. Of course, if you take a look at the past 59 years, we've still got a 4-1 edge on them. POTVIN SUCKS!? No, no, no. The Rangers suck. They suck mightily."

SPEAK THE TRUTH BROTHER :dance:

I heard an interview once with him, and when asked about the chants he simply replied "Oh. They were sating Potvin sucks? I thought they were saying "Potvin's Cups!" "

Nice. I catch him twice a week on XM radio during my ride to work (Hokey this morning show) and I actually have come to like Denny.

So we have finally found the lone tradition that qualifies the New York Rangers as the storied franchise that they always sell themselves as: The constant re-living and dumbing down of a clean hit delivered by a four-time Stanley Cup winning, Hall of Fame defenseman on a "might've been but never was" forward.

That's pretty pathetic.

So we have finally found the lone tradition that qualifies the New York Rangers as the storied franchise that they always sell themselves as: The constant re-living and dumbing down of a clean hit delivered by a four-time Stanley Cup winning, Hall of Fame defenseman on a "might've been but never was" forward.

That's pretty pathetic.

Would you expect any less?

Who knew? It was 30 years ago tonight that the "Potvin Sucks" chant was born.

Here's an article about it:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/9256608...162&ATT=142

I just read through the entire (admittedly a little long) story. I'm surprised that even though the Devils were mentioned, the author didn't mention the "Rangers Suck" chant that we stole from them. I thoroughly enjoy that chant at the Rock and even more the addition of "Gomez Blows" afterwards.

I did learn the name of the song that precedes the "Rangers/Potvin Sucks!":

Funny stuff.

Gomez blows? You mean Gomez swallows

I've seen footage of the hit. Nothing the least bit dirty about it. Potvin was going for a clean shoulder to shoulder check and Nilssons leg must've gotten caught in a rut or something. Ended up bending awkwardly...but it was a totally flukish injury.