Time for LL to make some Major Changes..

redruM

The only reason it's hard to buy into the "this team just isn't good enough" theory is that other teams who have less talent find a way to win. Not consistently season to season - but they find a way to go deep in the playoffs. The 2003 Devils didn't have the aray of talent this team has IMO. They had a lot of 4th line scrubs to be frank.

Stevens wasn't a force to be reckoned with then either - he didn't have to DO much in the leadership dept -the guys just knew how to run with what they were given.

i dont like all these winning season - I never had... I had hoped Jacque woudl knwo how to snap these guys out of the second half slump because what causes that is the same thing that causes the playoff folding.

2003 was Pat Burns is the thing -- and it was a mental thing and it is STILL a mental thing that no one knows how to deal with ...

So what Pat knew... what Pat knew was that you can have eager talented young guys all with heart and character guys you "can't ask anythign more of" who are "doing all the right things" Guys who are in a good heart place but still aren't winning - and he figured it out - he's been able to bring so many teams there that he just saw it -- he saw how to keep them engaged, how once the kool aid was downed and everyone was asking for seconds --- how to say no NO KOOLAID FOR YOU! and make the guys work for it. For every other coach -- it's the kool aid that's the rub and to seriously have these guys addicted to it like they are is just unheard of..... no coach knows how to deal with what comes next --- even Scotty Bowman served up something different. It's very difficult to motivate guys who are completely motivated and completely willing. Making them feel unwilling just isn't the right way -- so a Keenan, a Tortorella -- that's not the answer. A RObinson is a freaking NIGHTMARE I cannot even beleive you guys....

It's such a shame Stevens .. he just can't -- well he CAN if Pat is not too sick, maybe Pat Burns would really love to leave this amazing legacy with someone. As a Quaker, You know, I'd kind of think this was God telling me to go talk to Pat because it's what HE needs -- it's not selfish, it's a last gift you give to Pat - the chance to really deliver that message. Hockey is beautiful and it's not a trite message - it's beautiful and I woudl NEVER EVR have the balls to step up and give Pat that chance to pass this on - cause I'm big fvcking coward. but this knowledge -- it's like Pat's child - just, this last playoff series - it's like it's OK it's wonderful and all but you sort of wish your child was a little further on his way before you leave him, you know? :blush: no you don't :urg:

So I wacked out --yeah but sometimes I think I have to leave those stupid pycho posts so -- I'll just leave that and slink away...

I realize I'm stating the obvious here but.... the results show that changes need to be made. The question now is: how close are the Devils to getting over that hump? That's probably the most frustrating thing about this team - they are thisclose to being contenders versus pretenders. There are some pieces in place with Parise, Zajac, Martin and Clarkson. Players like Zubrus and Greene are excellent in supporting roles and guys like PL3 and Fraser do offer some value. I've been really disappointed in how little Elias, Langs and yes, Brodeur, have produced. It might not be a bad idea to have a changing of the guard, so-to-speak, by bestowing the 'C' to Zach. As for offseason moves, I can't really say which ones are the ones Lou should make. Obviously, shedding the roster of Pandolfo's and Rolston's contracts (among others - Why give Peters a TWO year deal? White a no-movement clause?), will go a long way towards moving this team in the right direction. I'd like for Kovy to stay at a 'Devil Discount,' but that ain't happenin'. Mottau is an excellent 4 - 6 defenseman.

Bah. Too many considerations to ponder.

Here's to winning 3 in a row. :koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

OK just quick -- why Stevens -- because he has a very specific understanding of communication without ..uhh words? Psycho yeah yeah -- but he does .. I think the root of that and why he would hear Pat is that Stevens has a gift which he cannot articulate (hitting) -- yet can convey the gist, can make himself understood wordlessly to the team and... and he can hear too is the thing -- he can here what is being said to him wordlessly. I think it's that he can hit and knows that it can't be taught you get it or you dont at the end of the day. How do you do it? You DO IT! BUT -- he knows it can actualy be communicated and if you dont get it it's because you can't do it, which sucks for you -- or you just can't hear what he's saying or what can't really be said -- which also sucks for you.

The question needs to be put to Pat and once he gets going on the answer - you just have to hear it and listen and Stevens can not only listen but he can understand, rub is, he can't ask :noclue: so all is indeed lost. And that's ok too :)

OK now seriously -- enough of that now I'm really done now. :whistling: yes I DO realize I'm a jackass :noclue:

Face it no matter what happens up front the Devils are still in a tailspin from losing Stevens, Dano, Nieds, and Raffi.

The Devils didnt have to be an offensive threat to win cups or playoff rounds back then. Give the Devils 2 goals and they could pull out alot of games. The D isnt bad now but they just dont have that "presence".

A solid dead on no questions asked numero uno d-man go could a long way on this team. I really think it could be as simple as that.

Martin is not a number one d-man. He is the new version of Raffi, a great number 2 right hand man, the solid jab to a great cross.

Put a stud on the top line with Martin, Greene and White on the second line, Salavdore and Mottau as the third pairing and sprinkle in the rookies and good things could happen.

Just look at Raffi, Nieds left and Raffi's play fell off a little when he was supposed to be the number one guy. Enter Detroit and Lidstrom and Raffi plays well and looks comfortable again.

I realize I'm stating the obvious here but.... the results show that changes need to be made. The question now is: how close are the Devils to getting over that hump? That's probably the most frustrating thing about this team - they are thisclose to being contenders versus pretenders. There are some pieces in place with Parise, Zajac, Martin and Clarkson. Players like Zubrus and Greene are excellent in supporting roles and guys like PL3 and Fraser do offer some value. I've been really disappointed in how little Elias, Langs and yes, Brodeur, have produced. It might not be a bad idea to have a changing of the guard, so-to-speak, by bestowing the 'C' to Zach. As for offseason moves, I can't really say which ones are the ones Lou should make. Obviously, shedding the roster of Pandolfo's and Rolston's contracts (among others - Why give Peters a TWO year deal? White a no-movement clause?), will go a long way towards moving this team in the right direction. I'd like for Kovy to stay at a 'Devil Discount,' but that ain't happenin'. Mottau is an excellent 4 - 6 defenseman.

Bah. Too many considerations to ponder.

Here's to winning 3 in a row. :koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

here here

:cheers:

There are reason for and against any and every change - I do NOT envy Lou this position, I tell you, Thank goodness it seems Vanderbeek isn't as nuts as lots of our posters! I mean that fondly, guys :whistling:

This team is not very well constructed up front. Too many left wingers. Not enough centers. Kovalchuk is a bad fit, playing the same position as Parise.

They seem to have no plan for scoring goals, except to attack the net and hope to sneak in a rebound. Find some players who can pass the puck and move the goalie side-to-side.

Face it no matter what happens up front the Devils are still in a tailspin from losing Stevens, Dano, Nieds, and Raffi.

The Devils didnt have to be an offensive threat to win cups or playoff rounds back then. Give the Devils 2 goals and they could pull out alot of games. The D isnt bad now but they just dont have that "presence".

A solid dead on no questions asked numero uno d-man go could a long way on this team. I really think it could be as simple as that.

Martin is not a number one d-man. He is the new version of Raffi, a great number 2 right hand man, the solid jab to a great cross.

Put a stud on the top line with Martin, Greene and White on the second line, Salavdore and Mottau as the third pairing and sprinkle in the rookies and good things could happen.

Just look at Raffi, Nieds left and Raffi's play fell off a little when he was supposed to be the number one guy. Enter Detroit and Lidstrom and Raffi plays well and looks comfortable again.

how many "number 1" dmen are there in the league?

maybe 10. maybe. and half of them are past 32.

this is the hardest thing to find in the NHL. you either have to be incredibly lucky like Nashville with Weber or suck like LA and draft a guy like Doughty or massively overpay a talent like Boston did with Chara (something that really will likely never happen again because guys like this don't get to UFA anymore).

so... center... what have we got out there for a center... ohhh gad I just want to CRY thinking about this sh!t... :evilcry:

:evil: Make lemonade out of lemons... how does Lou DO THIS!?!?!?!? how can anyone even think he's at fault.

Ohhhhhh gggawd :argh: times like this I feel so Dr. Smith from Lost in Space -- "oh the pain, the pain"

the Flyers forecheck is crushing our D and exposing their inability to clear the zone. IMO, this is the biggest issue to address, next a center, then jettisoning the older & slower guys (Nieds / Pando)

Right on. I mentioned that in another thread yesterday.

Once that malfunction gets taken care of, the answer up front seems kind of simple to me... bring the kids back.

Look at it. The first half of the season the Devils roster was filled with a bunch of eager rookies that brought a ton of energy and passion, and helped lift the older guys on the team. Halischuk was great. Sestito played a hungry game. Pelley brings a lift to the team. Zharkov continues to play well and once he finds the back of the net he'll be a force.

Everyone thought that once the Devils were "healthy" again, they would be unstoppable. Well, look what happened. The slugs made their way back into the lineup (Exception: Clarkson) and it all went to hell. I agree with the feeling that guys like Pandolfo and Niedermayer need to go and this will open up spots for the kids. Rolston -- I don't know. He's lackluster during the season but he seems to always bring it in the playoffs. Even last year he had a strong series. That might make him worth keeping around.

Next year I really hope to see more of the youth movement. Their time has definitely come.

all i have to say is, we better come back in this series and repeat history. The only problem i see getting in the way of that is.... FCKIN LEMAIREEEEE. his stubbornness irritates me beyond all hell. "I thought we played well." Every fckin time we lose. seriously? basically he's saying, "We didn't get our lucky bounces."

I didn't know our strategy was based on luck.

Anyone with half a brain would have stopped changing the lines and stuck with what was working, when it worked! Going into the playoffs without solid, consistent lines was never going to work. subbing in Peters, Leblond, Pelley, Zharkov, Fraser, Skoula, Salmela, Pando, etc etc every other damn game..

Why hasn't been Nieds been subbed for?? HE'S TERRIBLE!

I'll pass on Rolston, cuz at least he hits the net somehow.

Colin White? Useless! He doesn't enforce, he doesn't move the puck well, he's just... well.. he's just there.....

ughhh sit all the people who don't give a sh!t, and play the rookies who actually move their feet. It's not like we're gonna mess up any lines that we have, because no one is used to playing with each other anymore. It's game 5, and I guess it takes a losing season to fire a coach, rather than seeing all the clues that led up to now.

I think Souray has been injured a lot this season/last season? But yeah, the possibility of trading Jamie and getting a good veteran defenseman would be a good tradeoff, but I don't want to let rumors and media say what's been bothering him. Maybe it isn't the sitting out, and just a personal frustration of not scoring/getting points? Hopefully it's a personal issue, and not something that has spread to the team.

whether we win or lose, I don't have any faith in Jamie as a captain anymore. He's been on his period ever since Lemaire sat him out against Carolina. As captain, you have to set an example for your team and just getting all pissy for about a month over basically nothing is not how to act like a captain. I wouldnt care at all if Lou traded Jamie at the deadline so Zach can be captain. we might be able to get something good for Jamie, like maybe Tomas Kaberle, Sheldon Souray, or Alex Burrows. I have my reasons for all of those players being possibilities if your curious.

IMHO the need is 2 dmen, not 1, and certainy a center, but more importantly, we need to get younger, this team is too old, and picking up 30 something pieces to fill holes is not the answer.. Hockey has become a young mans game, you need to skat e and hit everyminute you are on the ice and the Devs donot do that..

LL will have the answers I have no doubt, LemAire is not 1 of them, his constant line shifting is killing this team, and some of the player decisions really make me question his goals.

Anyone up for a Broduer for Duncan trade??