Another one about the rule changes and CBA

David Puddy

There's a nice list at the end for those who don't like lots of words.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Art...TPSports/Hockey

Bettman's challenge: Improve the NHL

GMs want to reach agreement first on what areas of the game to tinker with, ERIC DUHATSCHEK says

Now that the glitz and glamour of the annual all-star game weekend is over, the real work can begin.

The National Hockey League general managers moved from St. Paul, Minn., to Las Vegas last night for one of their more ambitious meetings in recent history.

After watching the league's average goal scoring drop to 50-year lows, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman instructed the GMs to ponder what, if any, structural changes could be made to enhance scoring and improve the overall look of the game.

In the three days that they're assembled, during which they'll also be updated on the state of talks for a new collective labour agreement with the NHL Players' Association, GMs are not expected to recommend a massive overhaul of the game. Instead, they will try to frame a debate that would continue into the summer and try to achieve a consensus on what areas of the game they should tinker with, in the years to come.

"It's not an easy thing," said Colin Campbell, the NHL's senior vice-president and director of hockey operations. "In the past five years, I've wanted to just let the game play for a while to see what's broken and what's not broken. "Now, we've got tape, we've got examples, we've got everything. The GMs are going to meet in groups and vote on things, and our vote will tell us what we're going to recommend, if anything, to the owners."

Campbell wants GMs to come to the meetings with an open mind because the time is right "to review a lot of questions that the public is asking and that hockey is asking. I'm telling them: 'Let's ask some hard questions and, as a manager, have an open mind. Even if you have personal views on it, don't come in and say, 'I've never believed it and I'm not going to believe it and I'll never, ever accept it.'

"It makes sense to do this now. This is a summer when there's going to be an economic review of our game because the CBA [collective bargaining agreement] is over."

Under scrutiny is a list of proposals: reducing the number of games on the schedule, enlarging the ice, reconfiguring the zones, widening the bluelines, using a shootout to eliminate ties, awarding three points for a regulation win, adopting the tag-up rule, adopting no-touch icing, changing the two-referee system, amending the instigator penalty, and eliminating the red line.

Some of the changes would simply restore hockey to the way it was played in a previous era. Others would give it a radical new look.

"The key here is, how do we best improve the game with the most minimal amount of surgery?," said Vancouver Canucks general manager Brian Burke [aka Lou's apprentice!], who was Campbell's immediate predecessor in the NHL's hockey operations department. "I've been beating this drum endlessly. But to my way of thinking, obstruction is the biggest culprit. It's the biggest barrier we face because it's the best equalizer for non-skilled teams. In my opinion, every rule change we look at should be balanced against, 'What would this game look like without obstruction?' We don't need radical surgery. Let's take what we have in the rulebook now and enforce that and then see what we have."

Beyond that, Burke suggested the Canucks were interested in discussing two items: Limiting a goaltender's handling of the puck; and continuing the eight-game experiment conducted in the American Hockey League last month with wider blue and red lines.

According to Burke, the ability of an NHL goaltender to play the puck "is a key in diminishing the entertainment value in our game. It reduces hitting, it reduces fore-checking and it increases the likelihood of trapping. We think, if all he can do is stop the puck behind the net, that is something we could look at it. [You're not helping Lou here, buddy. Remember who made you what you are today!]

"I liked the wide lines in the American League. I think that had some potential. . . . Once the players are coached to the new standard, if we pick up seven or eight plays a game that save a two-line pass, you're taking eight whistles out of the game. And I'm interested in that.

"But those, to me, are tweaks, not major rule changes. Enforce obstruction, do those two things and I think the game would be dramatically better. And I think it's in pretty good shape now."

The plan is to forward the GMs' proposals to a blue-ribbon hockey panel for review over the summer. The idea would then be brought to the NHL's board of governors for approval in early September.

Traditionally, the league's 30 GMs represent all elements of the philosophical spectrum, meaning a consensus is often difficult to achieve. How does Campbell expect to get one this time?

"Experience helps," Campbell said. "We break off into groups for a day and assign a number of items to each group. We want them to discuss it, beat it up and even if they don't come to a consensus, tell the rest of us what your group honed in on and where you think we should go on this recommendation."

A meeting of minds

National Hockey League general managers will meet in Las Vegas, from today until Wednesday. Aside from a report on the state of negotiations for a new collective labour agreement and a briefing on composite hockey sticks, the majority of the agenda will be devoted to rule changes that could be adopted as early as next season.

The ideas under consideration:

1. Shootouts to break a tie. If adopted, the GMs would consider awarding three points for a victory, two for a shootout win, one for a shootout loss and zero for a regulation defeat.

2. Larger nets. The GMs will consider three prototypes: one, six inches larger than the current 6-by-4-foot configuration; the second, four inches larger; and the third, two inches larger. Adding height to the net would make it more difficult to play the butterfly style of goaltending.

3. Introduction of a "neutral-zone pass line" at the top of the face-off circles in a team's defensive zone. It would enable players to make a pass beyond the red line before they reach their own blueline.

4. Limit goaltenders' handling of the puck to stopping it behind their own net, theoretically making it easier to fore-check.

5. Redraw the rink's on-ice dimensions to reflect its pre-1990 configuration of 10 feet behind the goals and 60 feet between the two bluelines. The current configuration is 13 feet behind the goals and 54 feet between the bluelines.

6. Adopt a no-touch icing rule.

7. Reduce the number of games on the regular-season schedule.

8. Widen the ice surface.

9. Eliminate the red line for purposes of a two-line pass.

10. Amend the fight-instigator rule.

:yawn: (WHY ISN'T THERE A YAWN SMILEY? :angry: )

Edited by David Puddy

That's the one I hate the most. How about 4-on-4 and THEN a shootout?

It's a silly way to decide games, but I hate ties.

How about goalies shooting for the other net? Or fastest skater contests?

4-4 then a shootout is way better!!

also btw..

whats with these new rules??

im thinking.. if we dont use these rules.. no NHL next year?

1. Shootouts to break a tie. If adopted, the GMs would consider awarding three points for a victory, two for a shootout win, one for a shootout loss and zero for a regulation defeat.

There's too many columns in the standings already. You shouldn't need a mathematics degree to figure out who's going to the playoffs. Just go back to the old 2-1-0 system and stop worrying about ties. Either that or play OT until someone wins.

2. Larger nets. The GMs will consider three prototypes: one, six inches larger than the current 6-by-4-foot configuration; the second, four inches larger; and the third, two inches larger. Adding height to the net would make it more difficult to play the butterfly style of goaltending.

Funny how they don't mention goalie equipment...

3. Introduction of a "neutral-zone pass line" at the top of the face-off circles in a team's defensive zone. It would enable players to make a pass beyond the red line before they reach their own blueline.

No need for another line. Either eliminate the two-line pass rule or change it to a three-line pass.

4. Limit goaltenders' handling of the puck to stopping it behind their own net, theoretically making it easier to fore-check.

Ah, the "Martin Brodeur Rule". It's all playa-hatin', I tell ya...

5. Redraw the rink's on-ice dimensions to reflect its pre-1990 configuration of 10 feet behind the goals and 60 feet between the two bluelines. The current configuration is 13 feet behind the goals and 54 feet between the bluelines.

Finally, the first senisble proposal I've heard all day.

6. Adopt a no-touch icing rule.

Sounds like a plan. While you're at it, fix the hurry-up faceoff rule. 30 seconds seems reasonable.

7. Reduce the number of games on the regular-season schedule.

Maybe go to 80 games like the AHL. Anything lower than, say, 75 games is too much.

8. Widen the ice surface.

Is this technically possible in all 30 arenas? Will there be grandfathering of older arenas that don't make the cut?

9. Eliminate the red line for purposes of a two-line pass.

See #3.

10. Amend the fight-instigator rule.

I'm with Puddy... if by "amend" they mean "eliminate", go for it.

And here's a suggestion they forgot aboout:

11. Call the penalties by the book!

`A couple of these differences will make a major difference to the way the game is played,'' New York Islanders GM Mike Milbury said as the day-long meeting ended....

When you see a Mad Mike quote, man that is downright scary...iceberg dead ahead!!!!