Oilers Sutton Suspended 5 Games

Quinn01

Edmonton Oilers defenseman Andy Sutton has been suspended, without pay, for five games for delivering an illegal hit to the head of Colorado Avalanche forward Gabriel Landeskog during NHL Game No. 138 Friday night in Denver, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Sutton will forfeit $57,432.45. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

NHL.com

Shanny says it best when he says, "Brushing of Landeskog's shoulder, the head is the principle point of contact and the head is picked by Sutton."

Its still a questionable suspendable offense. Penalty sure suspension....I dont know.

Edited by Quinn01

This falls into the "the player receiving the pass is as responsible to watch out for his own ass as the hitter is" area.

Landeskog turns around and looks behind him, I mean, come on now. That's ASKING to get railed.

Both parties are at fault here imo

Edited by Devilsfan118

I think the NHL got it right here...while I don't personally feel shoulder to head checks should be banned...the NHL does have this vague "targeted" rule and it's pretty clear to me that Sutton targets Landeskogs head exclusively

Edited by '7'

This falls into the "the player receiving the pass is as responsible to watch out for his own ass as the hitter is" area.

Landeskog turns around and looks behind him, I mean, come on now. That's ASKING to get railed.

You make it sound like he isn't allowed to be hit at all. It's pretty darn easy - just don't hit him in the head. Sutton is an expert, he should know.

Banning head shots and dangerous boarding plays isn't outlawing hard clean checks. How hard is it to not target the head? Pretty simple. Keeping ones head up isn't the issue nor should it be in my opinion. The rule is that the player making the hit needs to eliminate contact with the head; that's on the player making the hit, not the player who got hit.

Banning head shots and dangerous boarding plays isn't outlawing hard clean checks. How hard is it to not target the head? Pretty simple. Keeping ones head up isn't the issue nor should it be in my opinion. The rule is that the player making the hit needs to eliminate contact with the head; that's on the player making the hit, not the player who got hit.

While I agree that hits to the head should be eliminated from the game, I don't think its as easy as you let on. The game is very fast paced and one player can be 6 inches or so taller, making the shoulder about the height of the opposing players head.

I agree with the suspension, not sure about the length of it though. Watching it in slow motion it is a bit surprising Landeskog wasn't more seriously injured, but you never know with these hits. I'm glad the kid isn't hurt.