If you live in the States we dont get to see the 2

Satans Hockey

Like gina said, you can get the free preview on espn broadband. The picture and quality is first-rate and comes in very well. Very impressed. The best part is during breaks, you get to hear what the 'casters are saying as they talk about what they want to say when they comeback live.

This has been a whale of a game. That was one of the most entertaining periods so far in the tournament. Finland came out strong getting a quick 2-0 lead. But Sweden cut it to 2-1 on a perfect PP setup for Modin. Finland came right back when Koivu potted a rebound on his backhand. But after a key cross-checking call on Tuomu Ruutu, the Finns took another careless penalty and gave Team Sweden a two-man advantage. They capitalized. Sundin setup Lidstrom for a perfect one-timer by Kiprusoff to make it 3-2. Then Johnsson made a brilliant feed to Modin on the doorstep for a tip-in. So, basically, all three Swedish goals took perfect plays on the man-advantage to beat Kipper. They have the best power play so far in the tournament.

Now they're interviewing Teppo Numminen. He talked about how they have to stay disciplined and not take those penalties. And how it's like a playoff game.

I guess neither of these teams wants to face the Czech Republic in the quarters. LOL

Of course, I'm still stuck with no broadband connection. It's good to hear that Finland's playing well, though.

The second saw the Finns strike early when Jokinen took advantage of a sloppy turnover. He used Norstrom as a screen to beat a shaky Tellqvist. I don't know why Sweden insists on playing him. He's been inconsistent this whole game. They really should put Salo in. At least he has experience. Really, Henrik Lundqvist should be dressed. The 'casters were saying when they showed his pic on the board in Stockholm it got the loudest ovation :lol:. Doesn't say much for the other two goalies.

Finland killed off a short two-man Swedish advantage late in the period to hold onto the 4-3 lead. Kiprusoff made a few good saves too.

So, it's 4-3 heading to the third.

They interviewed Modin between periods and he said they move the puck well on the power play. That's why it clicks. They're 7-18 in the tournament.

A couple of cool notes about this year's world cup:

-The team that scores first is a perfect 9-0 thus far.

-There have been no lead changes.

Exactly what you said NJDevil. This was an awesome game. Sweden pulled their goalie with a power play and they setup Forsberg on the doorstep to tie it. So, all four goals they scored were on the power play. The Czechs might want to stay out of the box when they meet in what should be a great quarterfinal.

The best part was seeing Sweden pull Tellqvist in OT because of the goal differential. Great stuff.

I actually would have looked into the Sweden-Finland game (even with commentators that would put me to sleep normally, the game wouldn't have), I'm not sure if I get the free preview here in Jersey. I guess I'll have to look see if I see the other game on anywhere :P

It would actually be a (gasp!) good idea of ESPN to give out a free preview during these games.

EDIT: Eh, broadband means over the computer, doh :P Oh well my comp probably wouldn't be able to handle it anyway, and even if it did I couldn't stay on the line for three hours straight.

it works for me in NY, i think this is pretty cool, i wish i knew about it for the earlier game. im having some sound trouble with the game right now tho, the commentators voice is really low, not that i want to hear them, but i dont wanna hear them slighlty murbling either... anyone know how to fix this?

0-0 after 1. Canada outshot Russia 9-6, but Russia's 6 were of higher quality than Canada's 9.

Mario got a knee to the head and then a boot to the head (skate blade cut his cheek). He's okay.

Great game... I turned it on at the 18:00 mark, but I'm pretty sure that 5 minutes later the period was over. It's that quick. Very few whistles. And the play is so fast you can't stop to think about anything....

Man-o-man.... maybe I'm just being a homer when I say that Madden is better than Draper. He's playing a whale of a game. He and Doan are the best two on the ice tonight. They are fighting for the puck, creating opportunities and just plain out-working the opposition.

Since I can't spell either goaltenders name (I'm lucky if I spell Brodeur right), I've cut and paste this from TSN:

"In a surprise move, Russia opted to start Maxim Sokolov in goal even though Ilya Bryzgalov was stellar in Russia's opening win against the United States. Sokolov responded with a good start."

Sokolov has been good. Very good in fact.

Game over, man. Game over.

Brodeur looked like the club goalie on that last goal. That was pathetic. That was actually beyond pathetic. But, eh, he saved the other 20+ shots thrown at him so, eh, I'll forgive him. :P

I still don't like the tournament format. Less now than before.

Canada can go 3-1 in the tournament and be out. Slovakia can go 3-3 and win the whole thing. If we want to win the tournament we have to go undefeated (6-0). That's a tall order.

Edited by Don

I watched most of this game on the broadband and it was very good. The score was a little misleading. As Don said, two key Russian turnovers at the blueline (on same power play) cost them two goals. The first one, Gonchar made a bad read and Gagne came with Richards two-on-one. Gagne made the perfect cross-pass and Richards didn't miss. Shorthanded goal. I should also mention it was Draper that chipped the puck by Gonchar to create the play.

Then, as the power play was expiring, same kind of thing happened. Not sure who the D-man was but they got caught. Canada came in with three attackers and maybe it was Doan that got the initial shot which Sokolov saved. Then Kasparaitis had a chance to clear it but partially fanned on it. Draper just stuffed in the rebound for a 2-0 lead.

Not too long after that, Canada was on a power play trying to make it a three-goal cushion. Sakic just missed on the doorstep and they had a couple of other close calls.

Then, finally Russia came the other way shorthanded. Niedermayer got caught on it and I forget who setup Frolov. But it was a hell of a pass. Frolov walks in and fires but Brodeur stacks the pads. It was the save of the game. They score there, maybe it's a different game. Basically, if Frolov hits the top corner, he scores. He didn't and then slammed his stick in frustration afterwards.

Shortly after that, the Russians started to play better and force turnovers. They had some other decent chances but missed on them.

Third period was much the same as the second. Both teams flying up and down the ice creating chances with their speed. Big turning point was after a Canadian turnover in their own end. Someone found Datsyuk and he was in and had Brodeur down. But his deke shot just missed.

Canada cameback the other way and Mario with one hand on his stick centered a shot off the Russian backup Sokolov and he gave up his only bad rebound right to Sakic. He put it home for the 3-0 lead.

To their credit, Russia didn't go away. Another bad turnover led to a routine blueline shot from Gonchar which surprised Brodeur. Bad goal.

Then the Russians nearly cut it to one. Brodeur made the initial stop on a shot and Kovalev had the entire net to shoot at but fanned on it. He scores there, it's a one-goal game with 5-6 minutes left and it gets interesting. He didn't.

Once again Afinogenov looked good for the Russians. He went inside-out on Niedermayer and got a good shot on Brodeur from a close angle which was stopped.

Kovalchuk looked good too as did Datsyuk. Kasparaitis played his usual mean game drawing a penalty. Other than his fanned clear attempt, he played well.

On Canada's side, Richards was flying all night long as was Gagne. Draper was terrific. On D, Foote and Regehr stood out defensively. Niedermayer had a couple of opportunities as a third man in on 3-on-2's but missed.

This was a good game. If anyone does get a clear picture on this broadband, i'd suggest checking out a replay of the Sweden-Finland game from Helsinki. It was terrific.

Ovechkin did not play again :(. The Russians play Slovakia tomorrow. I hope he plays.