Gulitti: Devils STILL a Mickey Mouse Organization

HellOnICE

They should have said something to the fans.

The idea to broadcast the MSG feed was probably the simplest/best solution.

True, but TG went overboard with the hate for the organization. In the history of the NHL how many times has a lighting problem been an issue. Both the Devils and the league didn't really have a contingency plan (maybe they should have) so I can understand the haphazard way of dealing with the issue. Everyone was scrambling to fix the lights. Relax Tom, your article makes you sound like an overreacting ass.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to create a culture of diehards, of people who are as knowledgable as anything - these guys will help that. It takes very little effort to do it.

Pre-game and intermission videos don't make casual fans into diehard fans. They'll entertain and maybe inform to a degree. But the only way someone becomes a diehard, IMO, is to go home and put time into it. Look at the numbers, check out what players have done in the past, check out upcoming prospects, etc. I think someone is more likely to do that if they see a great game on the ice, not good videos on the jumbotron. But that's just my opinion.

If you're talking about attracting casual fans, not creating a culture of diehards, then upping the entertainment value is certainly a solid avenue to pursue. Butts in the seats are butts in the seats. Revenue streams don't take into account diehard vs. casual fan dollars.

Pre-game and intermission videos don't make casual fans into diehard fans. They'll entertain and maybe inform to a degree. But the only way someone becomes a diehard, IMO, is to go home and put time into it. Look at the numbers, check out what players have done in the past, check out upcoming prospects, etc. I think someone is more likely to do that if they see a great game on the ice, not good videos on the jumbotron. But that's just my opinion.

If you're talking about attracting casual fans, not creating a culture of diehards, then upping the entertainment value is certainly a solid avenue to pursue. Butts in the seats are butts in the seats. Revenue streams don't take into account diehard vs. casual fan dollars.

I have to think that most teams attract alot of casual fans on any given night. I cannot see many teams in this league having a large army of "diehard" fans. (yes some original 6, Canadian teams etc) But for the most part I think the league is dealing with more casual fans. I am sure at any given night at The Rock if you surveyed 100 people aged 25 or older (anyone younger would skew the results of this survey) and asked them to name 10 members of the 1995 Stanley Cup Team....you might get 20-25 that could do it. I could be off, but I don't think so.

I have to think that most teams attract alot of casual fans on any given night. I cannot see many teams in this league having a large army of "diehard" fans. (yes some original 6, Canadian teams etc) But for the most part I think the league is dealing with more casual fans. I am sure at any given night at The Rock if you surveyed 100 people aged 25 or older (anyone younger would skew the results of this survey) and asked them to name 10 members of the 1995 Stanley Cup Team....you might get 20-25 that could do it. I could be off, but I don't think so.

I'm not arguing that. While I think hockey has a higher diehard-to-casual fan ratio than the other major North American sports, I also agree that there are a higher number of casual fans than diehards.

I got the impression that HOI was implying that the Devils need to focus their efforts on building a core of diehards. I disagree with that. I think that if the Devils were gonna focus on anything concerning their fans and/or their fanhood, it would be attracting more of them, not converting casual fans into diehards. But if this culture of diehards was the focus of the Devils, I don't think pre-game and intermission videos would be the way to go. Putting the best team on the ice as possible would be the way to go, and that's certainly what Lou's been doing for the past two decades. But, again, that's just my opinion.

I'm not arguing that. While I think hockey has a higher diehard-to-casual fan ratio than the other major North American sports, I also agree that there are a higher number of casual fans than diehards.

I got the impression that HOI was implying that the Devils need to focus their efforts on building a core of diehards. I disagree with that. I think that if the Devils were gonna focus on anything concerning their fans and/or their fanhood, it would be attracting more of them, not converting casual fans into diehards. But if this culture of diehards was the focus of the Devils, I don't think pre-game and intermission videos would be the way to go. Putting the best team on the ice as possible would be the way to go, and that's certainly what Lou's been doing for the past two decades. But, again, that's just my opinion.

That was my position from the beginning. We need the "casual" fan to go to a few games a year to put asses in the seats. I do not think that attempting to create diehard fans would do much for the team in terms of attendance and $$$. Many of these fans cannot buy season tickets due to time/financial barriers that would not allow them to attend 41 home games. I am sure alot of these fans would have season tickets if they were able to swing it. I think marketing to the new/casual fan could go a long way in increasing attendance throughout the year.

Edited by ThreeCups

I think NOT having discount deals like college nights and a black Friday sale, so that you know... the actual loyal STH get access to the best ticket discounts avaialble in the arena.... hey THAT might be a neat idea ya?? :P

Why hate on college night? It's actually one of the better things the Devils have done in recent years, they get students who have limited income in the building with cheap tickets for a select few games a year. The five to ten college nights per season (usually against non-marquee teams on a weekday) aren't exactly devaluing anyone's season tickets.

I don't really pay attention or care about the other discounts, though I know they don't offer them for the several biggest games of the season or playoff games, which sth's do get. Plus they've lowered the mezz season tickets to $39 this year. Most of those discounts are $35 I've noticed, granted slightly lower but again they aren't for every game and judging by the mezz most games very few people take advantage of that anyway :lol: Not to mention they've actually made the discount codes harder to access this year.

Edited by Hasan4978