Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mejia has apparently been allowed to pitch through a hernia through three weeks.  Give the Mets credit...just when you're sure that they've run out of ways to come off like completely amateur buffoons, they strike again and prove you wrong.  And same ol' Mejia...yet another guy who can't ever seem to stay healthy.

And this is why I can't take that 'run differential' nonsense seriously.  They have a bad record because they find ways to blow these games.

Sandy can go fvck himself for many reasons.  The run differential crap is yet another one.

Familia is not the answer to close, just check his enormous platoon splits.

2014 vs LHB: .313/.407/.436, 4.66 FIP, 5.46 xFIP

Yikes.

I'm sure that's not an easily correctable problem either, as he's strictly a fastball/slider guy; he doesn't throw a changeup or any other pitch that typically works vs opposite handed hitters. He's going to need to develop one to be a trusted closer in my eyes; he can handle a righty-lefty-righty situation but any team that stacks 3 lefties vs him in the 9th will just eat him apart.

Edited by nmigliore

Mejia's numbers against righties aren't much better:  .310/.371/.465. 

I'm not saying Familia will be necessarily be the guy either, but I don't like hittable closers.  If Mejia can get a look out of necessity (it's not like he was ever being groomed to close), not sure why Familia can't get one too. 

Oh I'm sure he'll get one if Mejia misses time or struggles some more. I just don't think he'll be any better. I still like both of them and think they'll be very much a big part of our late-game bullpen going forward, if they can stay healthy, but I don't know if I see either being a great candidate to close given their platoon splits. All the more reason to hope Parnell comes back healthy sometime early next year.

Edited by nmigliore

Oh I'm sure he'll get one if Mejia misses time or struggles some more. I just don't think he'll be any better. I still like both of them and think they'll be very much a big part of our late-game bullpen going forward, if they can stay healthy, but I don't know if I see either being a great candidate to close given their platoon splits. All the more reason to hope Parnell comes back healthy sometime early next year.

I don't even consider Parnell part of the solution at this point...I just have no idea what to expect of him. 

I agree, I think Mejia and Familia are definitely going to be factors in the bullpen.

I'm going back to the 80s now, so you didn't get to see the guys I'm going to bring up, but I have a feeling you're a Met historian (passionate fans usually bone-up on the history of their teams), so you're probably very familiar with Roger McDowell and Jesse Orosco.  They were co-closers for a few years (85-87), but Orosco became expendable with Randy Myers' emergence (Myers was later considered to be such a whack-job that he was then traded two seasons later to the Reds for John Franco, even though Myers had far more dominating and electric stuff, and was younger to boot...Myers, Norm Charlton and Rob Dibble made up the "Nasty Boys" 'pen that helped the 1990 Reds upset the A's in the World Series).  In 1988, McDowell and Myers continued the trend of splitting save opportunities, then in '89, after McDowell was traded to the Phillies (along with Lenny Dykstra, for Juan Samuel, in one of Frank Cashen's worst trades as the Met GM), Rick Aguilera emerged as the other closer (he has previously been a pretty good starter).  Aguilera didn't like being used as a reliever initially, which is why he was traded as part of the 5-for-1 deal for Frank Viola...ironically, after pitching in the Twins' rotation for the rest of '89, he was again converted to a reliever to start the 1990 season, and from '90-'95 was one of the better closers in baseball...in '96, after one season with the Red Sox, he again joined the Twins' rotation (with not-so-good results), then spent the rest of his career as a reliever.  He finished with 318 career saves. 

Anyway, I could see the Mets trying the dual closer thing with Mejia and Familia. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Logan Verrett with another solid start yesterday:  7 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 3 BB (unusual for him, though he walked 3 in his last start too), 2 K. 

He's been a much different pitcher over his last 6 starts:

40 IP, 30 H, 16 ER, 7 HR, 13 BB (this is a bit higher than his rate the rest of the season), 26 K, 3.60 ERA 

Considering he allowed 143 hits through his first 99 IP this season, this is a hell of an improvement.      

Wright strikes out.  Of course he does.

He's actually on a nine-game hitting streak entering today's game, but it's about as soft of a streak as it gets:

11-for-38 (.289 BA), 1 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR, 3 RBI, 2 BB, 7 K, .316 SLG, .325 OB%, .641 OB+SLG 

This is the kind of nine-game streak a guy like Ruben Tejada goes on.  Again, why does Wright get to keep hitting third?  He can't be dropped to 5th or 6th for the time being?

Wright is locked in where he is. I don't think Terry would move him down unless he falls into the .240's or something

I saw a stat the other day about how bad Wright is in late and clutch situations. Something like 6-60?

Wright is locked in where he is. I don't think Terry would move him down unless he falls into the .240's or something

I saw a stat the other day about how bad Wright is in late and clutch situations. Something like 6-60?

I think that's horsesh!t on TC's part...Wright's batting third strictly on past merit.  He shouldn't be a lock to be third in the lineup just because. 

Clutch has never been Wright's strong suit, though he used to be a lot better in those situations. 

Also, looks like it will be Montero tomorrow vs Washington. No word yet on deGrom

Yeah, I had it wrong, Montero was supposed to be going today for Vegas, not yesterday.  Curious to see him...his last two Vegas outings were terrific. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think that's horsesh!t on TC's part...Wright's batting third strictly on past merit.  He shouldn't be a lock to be third in the lineup just because. 

Clutch has never been Wright's strong suit, though he used to be a lot better in those situations. 

Yeah, I had it wrong, Montero was supposed to be going today for Vegas, not yesterday.  Curious to see him...his last two Vegas outings were terrific. 

The lack of power and RBI production from a spot where you're usually going to be batting with runners on is what's killing us. The fact that d'Arnaud has passed him in homers is astounding considering he hasn't even been here all year.

I swear to God Wright reads my posts and says "fvck that guy, I'll show him!"  nmig probably sends him links to this thread, lol.

Yikes...I know d'Arnaud has to sit sometimes, and that this is the time to give den Dekker and Flores a look, but a bottom four of den Dekker-Flores-Recker-pitcher is pretty hard on the eyes.  At least Niese got a hit today.

yea but Niese negated that hit by walking the god damn pitcher the next inning to lead off. He can really frustrate you sometimes

I'm done with Niese as anything more than a 5th starter, and I'm not even thrilled at that prospect. 

Looks like the Mets got their backs broken yesterday. Full on corpse mode today

Five guys in the lineup hitting .230 or less.  That's going to make for a somnambulant offense. 

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, of course the bottom of the lineup now comes through.  Recker is good for one thing...the occasional random HR.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, of course the bottom of the lineup now comes through.  Recker is good for one thing...the occasional random HR.

he is built like Hulk Hogan. When he actually gets a hold of a fastball man does he crush it.

Nice throw by Lagares. Bailing out Terry who was again pushing a pitcher past 100.

True on Recker, but then there's all of the other ABs...bleech.

Lagares is a fielding beast, all he has to do is hit a little.  .270 avg/.325 OB% with some solid bats in the lineup to offset him will be just fine. 

This sh!t again? Good lord. Dopey Phillie fans as usual

What happened? 

3 out of 4, 4-3 on the trip...not too bad, though somehow it doesn't feel like 4-3.