Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I did see that, absolutely moronic. For the fvcking Mets to be saying something like that of all teams has some nerves. You really want to sell tickets, sell the fvcking team.

Writers everywhere have been ripping the Mets for this (as has their fanbase).  I just wonder who actually thinks something like that is a good idea.

Dana Eveland, who moved into the 51s' rotation when Dice was recalled, has been pretty good in 3 out of 5 starts.  He's not really any good...he's pitched for 7 teams in the majors since his first appearance in 2005 (career 1.66 WHIP), didn't pitch at all in the majors last season, and is 30 years old.  But this seems like the kind of guy the Mets can't wait to give chances to...if friggin' Kyle Farnsworth and Dice K are currently on the roster, who's to say that Eveland doesn't become the latest "what the hell, why not?" guy?  Would anyone be that surprised?

Apparently TC is close to naming Familia his closer. Funny, isn't it? Familia went from being a castoff/last-guy-out-of-the-pen type (he pitched 4 times between April 4th to April 24th) to likely-closer in the span of a month. Sounds eerily familiar (ahem, Farnsworth, who went from being cut to closer in 2-3 weeks).

He has looked a sharper of late (10 K, 2 BB, 1 ER in May), but man it's hard to trust a guy with 26 walks to 32 strikeouts in his MLB career. At least give it a couple months to see if this improved Familia is the real deal and not just a small sample aberration. I really don't understand the hesitation around naming Carlos Torres closer; he's clearly the top reliever in the bullpen. 

Edited by nmigliore

Mets don't have a true closer, so this is how it's going to go.  We know Farnsworth can't do it, so might as well give a young guy a shot.

Torres probably gets his chance at some point this season.  Can't see Familia taking the job and running with it.

Montero coming up and starting Wednesday, Mejia to pen.

WOW!  Glad to see Montero getting out of Vegas, AND remaining a starting pitcher.

A little worried about how this affects Mejia from a physical standpoint.  Hope he holds up.

deGrom may be following soon, to the bullpen:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/12/future-is-now-mets-rafael-montero-to-make-majors-debut-wednesday/

Also being reported that deGrom is being scratched from his turn in the Vegas rotation tonight.

Alderson also confirmed that New York does not have a clear-cut closer at this time.

“Who’s our closer? Good question,” the GM said. “But it’s not Mejía."

Sandy, don't be a douche, just do your job for ONCE and attempt to fill holes...you know, like GMs are supposed to.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The day the Wilpons are gone will be a wonderful day indeed.  Can't come soon enough. 

With the Mets I'm always a bit hesitant to get giddy, Katz as you might expect has categorically denied the report...but hey whoever wrote this has sources that he must report to his editor...so good chance their is some truth to this.

Katz looks like the one remaining leg the Wilpons have left to stand on.

The MLB front office needs to step in and grease the skids a bit. It's unacceptable they've let the Mets rot for this long...this year we're sitting here with an almost bottom 5 payroll.

Hittable Fat fvck doing a great job.  Thank God Sandy saw fit to tie up $20 million of his limited funds in a soon-to-be 41-year-old when starting pitching was already a strength for this team.  Oh yeah, I forgot, Sandy was trying to win 90 games this year. 

Mets will probably go down meekly now and not score another run.

deGrom scratched and could be coming up within days for the bullpen.

Panic mode has clearly set in for Sandy. Ahahaha.

Who knew he was even still breathing?

Who knew he was even still breathing?

It's kind of weird. Everything was quiet...then all of a sudden Sandy goes into desperation/panic mode to fix the pen by reassigning Mejia, bringing up Montero AND bringing up DeGrom. What happened behind the scenes exactly? That's 3 months worth of activity in 8 hours for Sandy.

It's kind of weird. Everything was quiet...then all of a sudden Sandy goes into desperation/panic mode to fix the pen by reassigning Mejia, bringing up Montero AND bringing up DeGrom. What happened behind the scenes exactly? That's 3 months worth of activity in 8 hours for Sandy.

I think the need to sell some tickets is factoring in.  They're a tough watch (especially when they're not winning, as they don't exactly have an electric offense), and the current roster doesn't have much to excite.  Met fans have been clamoring to see the young pitching do their thing at the major league level, and they think the reason it's not happening is because the Mets are penny-pinching.

I may be nuts, but I think the higher-ups are finally realizing that the Met fanbase despises their team and the franchise...especially the man who put it together, and that idiotic letter made the hatred even more intense  I think the Mets might actually be trying to make amends here (and by doing so are hoping people might actually start showing up again).

And we see what Yankee Stadium does for hitters.  The anti-CitiField indeed.

At least the Mets came back.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It is a great confidence boost for hitters. And while I would never want the Mets to play in a park with Yankee Stadium dimension....I would like them to bring in right and right center a bit. Get rid of the remaining Mo's zone well

And Hittable Fat fvck promptly sees the tie go away.  Way to pick up your teammates.