New York Mets Offseason Thread

Devils Pride 26

New York Mets

2008 wins: 89

Predicted 2009 wins: 95

The additions of Francisco Rodriguez as the closer, and J.J. Putz as the set-up man, will push the Mets past the Phillies and give them the NL East crown. Don

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

95 wins?! WHAT?!

I'll be stunned if this team cracks 90.

haha did you see what i posted about SI's predictions?! .. and of course, I'm in the same boat with being stunned if they can crack 90.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2009...picks-mets.html

Sports Illustrated has picked the Mets over the Angels in the 2009 World Series

Here is the magazine's full postseason prognostication:

American League Division Series: Yankees over Twins; Angels over Red Sox

National League Division Series: Cubs over Phillies; Mets over Dodgers

American League Championship Series: Angels over Yankees

National League Championship Series: Mets over Cubs

WORLD SERIES

Mets over Angels

-So basically PECOTA has us having a great year and winning the NL East, the NBC article ot98 posted has us winning the East, and SI goes as far as saying we will win the NL East AND the World Series. lol.. I guess this is good... right? Maybe we are just too worried about the season

Edited by nmigliore

haha did you see what i posted about SI's predictions?! .. and of course, I'm in the same boat with being stunned if they can crack 90.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2009...picks-mets.html

-So basically PECOTA has us having a great year and winning the NL East, the NBC article ot98 posted has us winning the East, and SI goes as far as saying we will win the NL East AND the World Series. lol.. I guess this is good... right? Maybe we are just too worried about the season

I guess everyone's lapping up the blue and orange this year. We're Met fans. WE KNOW BETTER!

Having said that, I'm optimistic and hopeful. Still not seeing 90 wins though.

I guess everyone's lapping up the blue and orange this year. We're Met fans. WE KNOW BETTER!

Having said that, I'm optimistic and hopeful. Still not seeing 90 wins though.

I think everyone's logic is this: "Well the Mets would've easily won the NL East last year, but they blew 'X' amount of games last year b/c they had no closer for the better half of '08 (and the bullpen in general SUCKED all year).. so this year they signed Putz and K-Rod to essentially make this a 7-inning game and added a few other new bullpen guys (Parnell, Green, O'Day); so now they will have another tremendous year and win 'Y' amount of games."

I'm hopeful too .. I can't wait to Opening Day next tuesday at Cincinnati :boogie:

Edited by nmigliore

Very interesting to say the least to see the Mets favored to win the WS over the Angels this year. That would be a good WS, but have to agree with you guys about the Mets if they are lucky to win 90-games this year. The back end of the starting rotation is suspect with Maine, Perez and Hernandez. Santana and Pelfrey will do good again this season.

Mets 3-starters-Maine, Perez and Hernandez have to hope to go at least 5-6 innings this season per game, so the Mets BP can take over the games with Feliciano, Stokes, Putz and K-Rod to finish up the games and win them. The Mets BP is no longer their weakness IMO. This Mets BP will not blow 29 games this season in 72 attempts. Just way better pitchers.

Ha! Great sortable list. VORP by people who took away the most runs from their team versus a replacement level player. :lol:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statisti....php?cid=311822

Tony Pena was worth -25 runs compared to any regular joe for his position.

lol at Jeff Francoeur.

2007 VORP: +20.0

2008 VORP: -16.9

Although its hard to argue that's surprising since hes always been a free swinger who could you pencil in for over 100 strikeouts and less than 50 walks ever year. Even in his best year (2007) he only walked 42 times while striking out 129 times.. The only thing thats kept him in this league as a starter is his power.

More and more teams don't care about the strikeouts that much. It's more the part where you talked about him not walking or getting on base.

I guess thats true, but still I remember people complaining about how Dunn would not be a good pickup b/c he strikes out too much, blah blah.. i mean at least hes backing it up with walks AND serious power. The only spot where I would argue that strikeouts are a factor is when you need a guy to put the ball in play (ie: runner on 3rd, 1 out).

As for Francoeur .. well, yeah.. hes got good power but pretty much 0 patience at the plate.

Edited by nmigliore

so... the Mets, according to the NYPost, are on the verge of signing recently cut Gary Sheffield.

thoughts? i dont mind it at all, most likely Anderson would be cut (and that makes sense.. there is not much room for his lefty bat to be honest.. and this move also gets a big right bat off the bench when Tatis is playing), people complain about his attitude... 2 collapses in a row (technically 3 if u wanna count the 2006 NLCS, they should've beat the Cards), i doubt this guy's attitude will disturb anything. We really need a righty bat off the bench b/c when Tatis is in the only righty is Castro and I dont think Jerry likes using his backup catcher in a PH spot ...

Cut Anderson, sign Sheff.. makes sense to me, i think its a great move.

Edited by nmigliore

Sheffield was not good last season. I'd much rather go out and get Catalanatto if they were going to man up and replace Anderson.

Sheffield - Last 3 years OPS is around 800 or so. Number of positions he can play? 0 Age: 40 Last season OPS ~725

Catalanatto - Last 3 years OPS is around 780 or so. Number of positions he can play? 3 Age:34 Last season OPS ~740

Lefty/righty split is less important than adding a better bat who is more flexible off the bench

Sheffield was not good last season. I'd much rather go out and get Catalanatto if they were going to man up and replace Anderson.

Sheffield - Last 3 years OPS is around 800 or so. Number of positions he can play? 0 Age: 40 Last season OPS ~725

Catalanatto - Last 3 years OPS is around 780 or so. Number of positions he can play? 3 Age:34 Last season OPS ~740

Lefty/righty split is less important than adding a better bat who is more flexible off the bench

I would take Cat over all of them but the Mets are just not interested in him. But they are interested and supposedly going to sign Sheff... and hes more worth it than Anderson, especially since we are too stacked with lefties on the bench.

BTW im listening to Fatsesca and he just Sheffield is officially a Met now.. also Jon Heyman of SI.com reported it: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/base...ield/index.html

Edited by nmigliore

catalanatto isn't the answer for the mets - i think the plan is to spell church with sheff from time to time, church hits barely above replacement against lefties. sheffield can also nominally play right and first base.

the irony is that sheffield is playing the role that val pascucci should have played last season.