Why Lou has allowed Brodeur to behave in this manner

'7'

One of the reasons I feel Lou has pretty much allowed Marty to vent to the media in an un-Devil like fashion is that he knows muzzling or getting into some sort of public spat with him is just flat out bad for future business. Brodeur will probably play in the league next year and embarrass himself. Fine, he needs a paycheck and will likely get it. 

But he may not play in the NHL next year, and he definitely won't in 2015-2016. The Brodeur jersey retirement is going to be the biggest ceremony in the history of the franchise. It's going to be a rare night when a ton of attention is paid to us. It'll be a rare hot ticket and the Devils stand to make some good change selling merchandise, dvd's etc surrounding this event. That one moment will be like our Wrestlemania. Even after that event, Brodeur to the Devils in any sort of ambassador capacity is $$$. I know we mock the Rangers for them bringing Messier out of mothballs so often (before they finally wouldn't hand him he coaching job on a silver platter and cried his way home) but Brodeur may be used in a similar capacity if he doesn't take some studio analyst gig.

Bottom line is, we can't alienate Brodeur from the future of the Devils in an off ice capacity. He's still an asset as long as he's not playing hockey for us. We see now this year how snippy and passive aggressive he can be, but ultimately we have to remain on good terms with him however difficult he is.

I don't want him anywhere near our front office, ever and I think that's gone out the window anyway with the ownership change. I think Lou is going to be asked soon by these guys to engage the transition plan with the next guy in mind which could be a McPhee or a low level guy on another team. Otherwise I have no problem as a high level ambassador and ownership executive type.

Edited by coldply123

I don't want him anywhere our front office, ever. Otherwise I have no problem as a high level ambassador and ownership executive type.

that is the fear, I lot of top athletes cruise into front office positions without paying their dues. But we don't know if Brodeur wants or is even up to that kind of work. History has shown the obscure grinder will likely make a better coach or GM than the superstar

This franchise has proven to be like the Vince McMahon of the NHL, in that even if there are employees that you have issues with, it's likely that person is going to be welcomed back eventually. Hogan, Bret Hart, Warrior, Nash, the list in the wrestling world that pissed Vinnie Mac off but came back at some point is long.

While I am extremely disappointed in the way Marty has acted the last few months, he's still Marty fvcking Brodeur and the greatest of all time in his position. If he gets an opportunity to keep playing for another team, I won't be happy, but if he is, Im cool with it. It won't last and eventually Marty will be back in our fold as an ambassador, in the rafters, and/or whatever.

Emmitt Smith to the Cardinals. Rice to the Raiders/Seahawks. It doesn't look or feel right, but they always come home eventually. Marty's earned the right to keep playing if he feels he can.

Marty is a proud and at times, arrogant guy. He's earned that right and I understand where he's coming from, I just wish it wasn't being aired out in public.

Edited by ghdi