Devils do not make qualifying offer to Salmela

Devs1965

Not sure what this means Salmela was not playing well, just a matter of time.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_dont_make_qualifying_offer_to_defenseman_anssi_salmela/

Sorry if anyone posted already

Guess Lou will let him test the market and say goodbye, still love The goal he scored then was drilled injuring him he was a fireplug just not enough offensive defenseman.

Edited by Devs1965

I agree just when you would see signs of a offensive defenseman he would break down with a bad cross ice pass or a missed assignment. But he had guts to crash the net the way he did!

We are pretty deep with defensemen but most are rookies. I'm still torn on if Larsen should be a 1st year NHL or let him get some guidance and conditiong for growth in the AHL also if it should be a full season in Albany or 1/2 season?

Also does Salvador come back or retire, a lot of questions to be answered.

No great loss. He did nothing right except offense, and he didn't do that with any consistency.

Do you think LL would be interested in Tyle Kennedy? Pens let him walk. Is there cap space to sign him?

TK free to walk

if we get rid of Rolston/Clarkson some how, i'd actually like to give Steve Bernier a look. He busted his tail during his short stint with the Sabres and plays with a lot of grit but has some skill to actually contribute [like clarkson used to]

if we get rid of Rolston/Clarkson some how, i'd actually like to give Steve Bernier a look. He busted his tail during his short stint with the Sabres and plays with a lot of grit but has some skill to actually contribute [like clarkson used to]

I liked Bernier a lot more before I got to watch him on TV. Guess I liked the idea more than the actual player. From watching him play, he strikes me as an Erik Rasmussen-type...without the consistency.

If he fought more or played a rougher game, he'd be a cheap replacement for someone like Clarkson. But he's not as rough, he doesn't fight as well, and he doesn't seem to work as hard consistently (even if Clarkson's the antithesis of "don't work harder, work smarter" at times).

Back to Salmela, I still wouldn't rule re-signing him for less than the QO as others have suggested. But it's clear now that his ceiling is very limited...and I'll personally always chalk it up to that devastating hit he took against the Flyers. At least he gave us that goal against the NYI in OT. Probably the biggest moment of his NHL career so far.