Roenick on Jim Rome

Z-Man

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flyer fans hated Dejardins for a few years pre-Hitchcock because he had some really awful years. Not only was he playing horribly defensively but I think his offense dried up as well. Quite frankly, they hadn't improved the defense very much at that point and they were asking him to do too much. At that point, he was getting to a point where he couldn't play the role they were asking him to play anymore.

When Hitchcock came in he took the defense in hand (and Clarke aslo made it a point to strengthen the blueline). Dejardins was put in a role where he was asked to do less but where he would be more useful to the team. He started to play better and his offensive numbers went back up. Flyer fans stopped hating him as a result.

Eric Dejardins is to the Flyers as what Scott Stevens is to the Devils. I don't think he's comparing the two players, he's just comparing their importance to each team.

Fair enough, RD, except the major problem I have with this argument is that many Flyer fans BASH Desjardins and haven't cared for him for years. So, I'm not so sure the fans consider him that "important" to the team. Or maybe the Philthy fans really ARE that friggin' bipolar after all and now they love him all of a sudden. :lol:

I was thinking this exact same thing. to me the key word is consistency. Year in year out Stevens is the backbone of the Devils not simply their best Dman. Nieds is kind of their best dman these days if you want to be honest.

Bottom line: Flyers have no equivalent to Stevens. No one has ever constantly picked the Flyers up a notch and carried them through tough times as often as Stevens has. That is why Roenick's comment strikes many here as ludicrous

Of course they won't have anyone the EQUIVALENT of the play of Stevens, but in importance, I think it could be weighed similarly, to each team.

Stevens comes out on top as the top defenseman of the two no matter what, he's the overall better player, but Desjardin is the best Philly has.

This coming from someone whose sole purpose here is to rub it in our faces that the Flyers beat the Devils in round one.

Your mere presence here undermines your entire arguement. Nice try, though.

Am I mentioning the win? No, talking about the comment by Roenick.

Keep em coming!

Who did Lou get this year? Hrdina & Kozlov. Hrdina had 2 goals in the playoffs and Kozlov got benched for 3 games.

Clarke got Zhamnov & Markov (being the ones who played in the series)

Zhamnov: 3g 5a, Markov: +2, 1GWG in Game 5 and laid out a few Devils

He also got a backup for Esche, Radio and a prospect in Eager.

"anything more you want to ask me?" Reaction elicited: No frankly you smart ass I

Of course they won't have anyone the EQUIVALENT of the play of Stevens, but in importance, I think it could be weighed similarly, to each team.

:lol: Seriously RD -- you think Dejardins is as important to the Flyers as Stevens is to the Devils? You disagree with what I wrote regarding consitancy then? What exactly do you see as the Devils team dynamic vs the Flyers team dynamic? You dont' see why people scoff at Roenick's comparison -- calling it a wash as far as hit to the team chemistry?

So how many times has Dejardins altered the energy flow in a playoff series? Just curious... I just want something that shows me that they bring the same value to the table.

you think Dejardins is as important to the Flyers as Stevens is to the Devils? You disagree with what I wrote regarding consitancy then? What exactly do you see as the Devils team dynamic vs the Flyers team dynamic? You dont' see why people scoff at Roenick's comparison -- calling it a wash as far as hit to the team chemistry?

So how many times has Dejardins altered the energy flow in a playoff series? Just curious... I just want something that shows me that they bring the same value to the table.

Both of the players provide leadership and experience to their positions. Don't you at least give credit that if they were playing instead of rookie like Hale for NJ & Pitkanen for PHI, both coaches would feel at ease knowing that those two guys are back there instead of 2 rookies with no playoff experience? Most people are twisting JR's words to say that Eric is as good as Stevens. He is saying that they have a big effect on the team when they are out there and not out there.

:lol: Seriously RD -- you think Dejardins is as important to the Flyers as Stevens is to the Devils? You disagree with what I wrote regarding consitancy then? What exactly do you see as the Devils team dynamic vs the Flyers team dynamic? You dont' see why people scoff at Roenick's comparison -- calling it a wash as far as hit to the team chemistry?

All I'm saying is that Desjardins is the Flyers' best defensemen. Both players are important to their respective teams.

Ask a question with a smart @ss tone, you will get the same response in return.

see this is just what I was talking about... you're addressing a specific comment of mine out of context. It's not continuity it's you spewing contradictions. In fact you just take snippets that you can easily refute and don

Edited by Pepperkorn

I'm addressing a specific comment of yours out of context?

then what's the stupid ct doing here?

I still don't understand why sw61776 is hanging around here trying to earn our respect. Flyers fans not good enough for you sweetheart?

Did I misinterpret what these comments were supposed to mean?

One other thing, you didn't ask the question that someone asked me to answer.

It wasn't brought up by you, you weren't even in the conversation.

if you keep insinuating yourself into other peoples conversations maybe it won't be so easy to ignore you

Pot...kettle....black.

The question was asked by NJDIOF, not you.

Im still waiting to see if sw61776 can explain what the trap is. Im sure he will look it up somewhere first though

This post has been edited by NJDEVILICEONFIRE on Apr 19 2004, 08:28 PM

After answering his question:

have a new found respect for u. U actually now what u are talking about

As said by NJDEviliceonfire.

So maybe you should take your own advice. No one else seems to have such a problem with me but you.

Who did Lou get this year? Hrdina & Kozlov. Hrdina had 2 goals in the playoffs and Kozlov got benched for 3 games.

Clarke got Zhamnov & Markov (being the ones who played in the series)

Zhamnov: 3g 5a, Markov: +2, 1GWG in Game 5 and laid out a few Devils

He also got a backup for Esche, Radio and a prospect in Eager.

And Clarke is a better GM than Lou! :D:lol::rofl:

Thick as a redwood ain't ya? Again totally missing the point. I was responding to your posts in general - that's the point of the message board - never claimed or assumed you were addressing me specifically.

Now here:

Well the key word here is experienced. That does NOT necessarily signify EQUIVALENT

How many times do I have to say that Eric is not the equivalent of Scott?

You have specifically interjected your self directly into the thread assuming RD's comment was directed at you... though by your own estimation made no sense...why because you're not paying attention and you don't care what's being said... unless it involves YOU! :rolleyes:

You know, and there's no shame in that anyhow... it's just dull is all. Your stroking yourself is all well and good. Knock yourself out! I'm just not going to be part of your audience anymore! See ya!

yeah somewhere in the middle of this thread as I read what was being posted.... All i heard in my mind was WAHHH WAHHH WAHHH WAHHH .. freaking Charlie browns teacher.... The words no longer registered!!

sw61776 i have a problem with u, your team, your city, everyone...

you're not right bout ne thing.....deal with it

Yes, I am. Devil fans also happen to be wrong on some occasions, deal with it.

And Clarke is a better GM than Lou!

Yet another example of reading what you want to read, also called "selective reading." I said this year he was a better GM.

You have specifically interjected your self directly into the thread assuming RD's comment was directed at you

Based on your comment above, about responding to posts in general, that is what I was doing. I was here discussing the comments before you. I'm on the first page of this stupid thread based on a misunderstanding of what JR was saying.

You're calling me thick?

was directed at you... though by your own estimation made no sense...why because you're not paying attention and you don't care what's being said... unless it involves YOU!

I was talking about the topic, this was the first post that you blessed this thread with:

then what's the stupid ct doing here?

See, I was talking about the comments and trying to explain what JR meant when he commented about Stevens. You, really weren't doing anything. :rolleyes: