Kitty News

SueNJ97

Many of you have seen me talk about my 3 kitties, Eric, Nicky & Manon on here. Nicky (named for Mr. Khabibulin) had lost a significant amount of weight recently and I took him to the vet yesterday. The blood tests came back fine but they found a mass in his abdominal/intestinal region. It definitely looks like cancer. He's only 7 years old which is young for mongrel tabby cat. We will check to see if it is malignant but it probably can't be operated on and radiation doesn't work. Oddly enough, the best treatment for it may be cortizone.

Anyway, I don't know how long Nicky has left. I am definitely not having a great day. :saddevil:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aww thats Sad... I miss my first cat... Ive had many since but my first was the bestest and she died at 7. Hope that everything comes abck ok..and kitty lives another 8 lives!

Wow. The Nicky's didn't have good days yesterday.

------------------------------------

Sorry to hear that Sue. I can't believe what good luck I've had with my cats. I've had them for 5 years now and other than yearly check-ups, I've had to go to the vet once. And that was because they got in a cat fight and one lost pretty bad.

Hope Nicky's better soon.

Thanks for all your well wishes. Don, I was actually thinking that it was odd that Khabi should have his bad game on the day I got the bad news about MY Nicky. Coincidence??? I wonder. :blink:

I don't want my furry guy to suffer uneccessarily but it just seems that 7 is too young to give up on him. So I'm off to the vet this afternoon to discuss options.

Thanks for all your well wishes. Don, I was actually thinking that it was odd that Khabi should have his bad game on the day I got the bad news about MY Nicky. Coincidence??? I wonder. :blink:

I was THINKING that and didn't want to say it....

... to add to the odd coincidence I have another friend who named their cat Lalime and

he too died right about when Ottawa lost... eerie ya ???

I may never be able to have the attachment to a pet like that (effing allergies) but I've

learned to understand the bond.. and I hope kitty makes a comeback and beats the

Flyers.... well you know :)

I was thinking the same thing about kitty's namesake. I hope all is well for your Nicky! I hope he's just a happy lumpy cat for the next ten years..

May you find out that he just ate a magnificent amount of fur he forgot to yack up and he sets you back $500 to get the thing out... I have to add on the money thing because -- well that's the best case scenario with animals! You want to kill them because they DIDN'T have anything fatal just something stupid that could have been avoided if they weren't so goofy!

PK, the thing is, we also call him 'Adventure Cat' and 'Nicky the Destroyer' because he's always getting into stuff. So there is this remote possibility that he COULD have swallowed something in his 'Adventure Cat' persona. That's why I'm going to probably spring for the sonogram to see what is actually going on.

I'm hoping your scenario is correct & the vet is wrong, but we'll see...

Isnt the money for pet health crazy? I remember when my Peri got sick I took her to the vet and paid like 500 bux to have her drugged and tested cause she was vomiting and getting thin and wouldnt eat... The Doctor gave her back to me on a friday night and she laid there all night drugged.. and then the next day she just died... Doctor called me 6 hours after she died to tell me she had kidney failure and the bext option would be to put her to sleep... In a way I wish I had waited 2 more days to take her to the vet.. cause that 500 bux was a big waste!

But You dont want to see them suffering so u just take them.. it sux.

pk, I'm VERY ashtmatic (all from allergies) and I can't really afford to chance it (or pay an allergist till by some act of God I get health insurance.... last GF tried that with her

callico and I was ok with it at first till she moved in with her roomate (who hated me

anyway and named Julie... what's in a name eh :P )... then the two cats were just

MURDER on me

had too many 4am asthma attacks (thanks to a dickhead stepfather who thought I was

faking it... such a loving childhood I had :P ) to be willing to chance it at this point of my

life....

(stopping now cause i am not making this thread all about me :P )

Good luck with Nicky Sue !!!

PK, the thing is, we also call him 'Adventure Cat' and 'Nicky the Destroyer' because he's always getting into stuff. So there is this remote possibility that he COULD have swallowed something in his 'Adventure Cat' persona. That's why I'm going to probably spring for the sonogram to see what is actually going on.

I'm hoping your scenario is correct & the vet is wrong, but we'll see...

Oh that's great... well not great but that would be so much better than the alternative!! :pray: go Adventure Cat! Boy I hate vet bills - it sucks loving animals! :evil:

My 15 year old poodle seems to be starting down the other side of the mountain. He coughs a lot now and since he has a heart murmer -- i think when Honey (our pointer that got sent away) attacked him two months ago he had a little heart attack or something -- I'm really scared he's got congestive heart failure. Vets have been telling me to keep an eye on that for the past 8 years... the little bastard promised me he'd live to 18 -- he shook on it even! He still acts pretty young and fit though .. except he's spite peeing all over Rebecca's diaper pail and toy box :angry: Darwin joins in on that too though... :argh: Butter acts all innocent though like he's just an old foolish poodle who can't help it.

In defense of the poodle -- they're really great dogs.. it's just that somewhere along the line they get the idea they're human and not dogs. Honey certainly taught Butter a thing or two about how he's not only a dog but a little old one at that. She kicked his ass soundly though... Butter wouldn't stop humping her - she hated him something feirce -- but Butter's a French poodle he can't help his love for females! Right? :P

I totally digressed -- I'm feeling chatty and needy this afternoon -- it's so beautiful but when I'm out and about I get irritated by other human beings. They're just so PUSHY and not into appreciating life -- or they want to be ahead of YOU appreciating life - you can eat their dust or something -- i don't know what the hell they're thinking but they're damm rude! :angry:

That's OK, PK, I'm here for some consolation re: the Nicky situation, especially since my boss is now 40 minutes late for our 2pm meeting, which means I am less and less likely to be able to get over to the vet before he closes at 4pm today.

:saddevil:

I'm sorry to hear that, Sue. Let's hope it's the Adventure Cat scenario! :pray:

We have a 12 1/2 yr old Vizsla (Hungarian pointer - think red-coated Weimeraner) and he's at least as much a family pet as a hunting dog. He's really showing a lot of signs of old age - he can't hear well, he can't always control his bladder, he doesn't have the energy (Vizsla's are very hyper dogs) he used to have. So we're kind of preparing ourselves for the day he leaves us. My younger son called me on Mother's Day and he said, "tell Bear not to die while I'm gone". :( He loves that dog so much. He'll really take it hard.

Edited by Nieuwy25

Many of you have seen me talk about my 3 kitties, Eric, Nicky & Manon on here. Nicky (named for Mr. Khabibulin) had lost a significant amount of weight recently and I took him to the vet yesterday. The blood tests came back fine but they found a mass in his abdominal/intestinal region. It definitely looks like cancer. He's only 7 years old which is young for mongrel tabby cat. We will check to see if it is malignant but it probably can't be operated on and radiation doesn't work. Oddly enough, the best treatment for it may be cortizone.

Anyway, I don't know how long Nicky has left. I am definitely not having a great day. :saddevil:

I'm very sorry to hear that-I really hope all goes well. I had quite a day today with my cat, Philip, who is indoor/outdoor cat. He didn't come home last night, and this morning the Bergen County Animal shelter (in Teterborough) called us and told us to pick him up because someone had called the police about a wandering cat. We got there and couldn't find him. It turns out someone messed up the paperwork, and Philip was hit by a car. I miss him so much :( he was one of the greatest cats I've ever owned.

I hope Nicky stays with you for a long time to come. Tell him you love him!

I'm so sorry to hear about Philip, Hells. It's so sad to lose a cherished pet.

I DO tell Nicky (and Eric and Manon) that I love them every day. The vet has put Nicky on Pregnisolene which is the feline version of Pregnisone in an attempt to shrink the tumor. Apparently it has worked for some cats. I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed.

:pray:

:o oh no Hells! That's so awful... :( I'm so sorry.

Sue.. any update? Or did the crappy boss keep you at work too late? :angry:

EDIT: sammied on an important post again! :rant:

Hi PK, the boss finally got around to the meeting, I told her I needed to get to the vet, she was very understanding so we had the "5-minute version" and she sent me on my way with apologies.

I talked to the vet and after I got a look at the elevated white cell count I realized we were either looking at cancer or an inflamation, both of which call for the same treatment. And if the cancer couldn't be treated with the Pregnozalene, it probably wasn't going to be treatable. So I started Nicky on it last night. He takes pills (at least if I give them to him) fairly well. Tonight I start trying to feed him canned food and (funny, but it's his absolute favorite) blueberry yogurt in an attempt to see what he can eat and whether I can get some weight back on him.

Thanks for the good wishes and I will keep you informed!!!

:pray:

Nicky update:

He has been taking the medication with few complaints (well, for a cat...I get "the look" and a pitiful whine after he takes the pill morning and evening). But no biting or scratching or anything like that. He had his favorite blueberry yogurt and quite a bit of the canned food last night and he kept it all down! He seemed to have more energy this morning.

Of course, the other two cats were absolutely furious that Nicky was getting CANNED food and they weren't. And when I tried feeding him in the bathroom they made so much noise outside the door that he got upset and wouldn't eat. So finally I decided to feed him in the kitchen and give them a little bit as well. But they really shouldn't be eating much of this stuff because it is REALLY fattening. It is designed to put weight back on underweight cats. But there isn't much I can do. They have to have a little of it or I'll have a riot on my hands and they will hate him because he is getting special treatment. He and Eric have never been buddies (they tolerate each other) but he and Manon have been close ever since they were born and I'd hate to change that now.