Insiders look back at Holik/Lamoriello discussions

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1840485

Thursday, July 15, 2004

Money Players: The Eduction of Bobby Holik

Excerpted with permission from "Money Players: How Hockey's Greatest Stars Beat the NHL at Its Own Game," by Bruce Dowbiggin. Published by McClelland & Stewart Ltd., 2003.

Some highlights from this piece:

One of the first calls Gillis receives on Canada Day morning is from client Bobby Holik, at home in New Jersey. After twelve years of being told where to play, the bruising centre will finally call the shots this day. Informed that no offers have materialized so far, Holik is philosophical. "I took a risk that I wouldn't have a good season or that I might get hurt. Why shouldn't I wait a little longer?" he says by phone. "I'm a believer in happy family, happy player. And happy player, happy team. So if my family is happy with this deal, it will be good for everyone." Holik has been resisting the overtures of Devils GM Lou Lamoriello for months now (Lamoriello had made an offer of $8 million a year the previous day), and he's prepared to wait one day more to hear what value other teams put on his services. "He tried to come to me in February to talk about a deal," Holik says, "but I said, 'This is when I'm playing hockey. Talk to Mike.' I even heard he was trying to get my dad [legendary Czech star Jaroslav Holik] involved, but I put an end to that right away."

Holik, Boston forward Bill Guerin, and Toronto goalie Curtis Joseph are the prized players in this year's crop of unrestricted free agents. To some, the notion that Holik (who had 25 goals and 29 assists in 2001-02 for the Devils) might set a new salary benchmark is an unfathomable mystery and indicative of all that's wrong with pro sports. The thirty-one-year-old, six-foot-four, 230-pound centre is no prized box-office attraction. He's not seen in the company of Hollywood starlets or international financiers. His career scoring totals equal about three of Wayne Gretzky's best seasons. He's a frank interview and a hard worker, but if people wanted to see hard work, they'd buy tickets to the production line at General Motors. Yet Holik, Gillis suspects, will be ardently pursued by as many as a dozen NHL clubs, all convinced that the native of Jihlava, Czech Republic, will help them replace Detroit as Stanley Cup champion next June.

Why such keen interest? Holik is an implacable, intimidating foe with massive legs and a torso harder than hickory. He has reduced offensive stars such as Toronto's Mats Sundin to near catatonia in the playoffs, wearing them down with brute strength and punishing two-handers on the arms, wrists, hands, and stick. Like most Europeans, Holik rarely fights; but this doesn't mean he's soft on the opposition. A night battling him in the slot is like a night in the ring with Lennox Lewis. Such players have always been a hallmark of winning clubs, going back to meat grinders such as Bert Olmstead, Gary Dornhoefer, and Clark Gillies. "He battles, he's not afraid," says Devils captain Scott Stevens. "He's courageous, he uses his size well. Is there another player in the league like him? I don't think so."

Most in the NHL agree. Other teams also like the fact that he has a chip on his shoulder the size of Ellis Island because of his treatment by Lamoriello. While Stevens, Patrik Elias, Petr Sykora, and Martin Brodeur received much of the credit for the Devils' two Stanley Cup wins in 1995 and 2000, it was Holik's fierce dominance at centre ice that gave his more celebrated teammates the room to manoeuvre. With Holik as sheriff, they felt secure walking the streets. Lamoriello admitted as much in the weeks leading up to July 1. "I have nothing but the highest admiration for the things Bobby has done for this hockey team. If I'm able to put my players on the order of importance, there's no question I put him on the highest level."

Long read, but very interesting nonetheless.

Edited by Guest

Really doesn't explain much. Bobby would carry a chip on his shoulder because of a myopic media? Apparently LL tried to mend fences after that insulting arbitration hearing. Why the heck did Lou send a lawyer to the arb?

Anyway, thats history. I still wear my #16 jersey

Yet Holik, Gillis suspects, will be ardently pursued by as many as a dozen NHL clubs, all convinced that the native of Jihlava, Czech Republic, will help them replace Detroit as Stanley Cup champion next June.

Heh heh heh -- see I love that part... :unsure: hmm..who was it that DID end up winning the Cup that year... :uni: not the Rangers :evil: