Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Ike Davis comes back today...he's basically picked up where he left off last season after coming back from the minors, in that he is now terrific at getting to first, but seems to have lost a chunk of his power.

For the month of May:  .338 BA (23-for-68), .430 OB%, .456 SLG, 5 2B, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 11 BB, 12 K. 

As much as I would love to kill Sandy for trading the wrong guy (and in fairness, it's still too early to call this one), Ike didn't do himself any favors...it's hard for your team to have much faith in you when you basically do nothing for the first 8-10 weeks of back-to-back seasons (and the Mets were clearly in "not again" mode when it looked like that might happen a third time).  As much as I would've liked to have seen Ike get a full season here with his new approach (which seems to be permanent...his K-to-BB ratio is 59-to-59 since his recall, which is terrific in this day and age), I can't really blame Sandy and Co. for being skeptical.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's why I emphasized a little lol.  I don't even know if Hudgens was a problem per se, but it's not like the offense could get any worse really and it's time where they have to try SOMEthing new.

Valverde should have been out on the same plane Farnsworth was.

Yeah that's why I emphasized a little lol.  I don't even know if Hudgens was a problem per se, but it's not like the offense could get any worse really and it's time where they have to try SOMEthing new.

Valverde should have been out on the same plane Farnsworth was.

Yeah, at least it's SOMETHING.  It's not enough of something, but it's a start.  Glad Valverde is gone, but I wouldn't expect much from Vic Black.  He's walked seven hitters in his last 5.1 IP with Vegas.  He's never really found consistency with his control so far this season. 

But until I see the REAL dead-end stiffs being moved (Tejada and Duda, for starters...yes, I know Duda hit a home run today, but he'll do that here and there), it's going to take more for me to think Sandy's actually showing a pulse.

Everyone here probably already knows this, but Syndergaard is heading to the DL with an elbow injury:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10984437/noah-syndergaard-new-york-mets-placed-dl-elbow-injury

Too early to panic, but will anyone be surprised if this turns out to be serious?

lol and yet another member (or former member) of the organization that is blaming the fans for the team not doing well at home:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/87615/hudgens-fan-booing-is-big-issue-at-home

“I really just think guys tried too hard at home," Hudgens told MLB.com after his firing. "I think the fans are really tough on the guys at home. How can you boo Curtis Granderson? They have no idea how hard this guy works and how he goes about doing his business, doing his job. He gets off to a slow start and they’re booing him? Come on. It’s tougher at home to play than it is on the road, there’s no doubt about it. And they’re trying really hard at home.

lol and yet another member (or former member) of the organization that is blaming the fans for the team not doing well at home:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/87615/hudgens-fan-booing-is-big-issue-at-home

Does Granderson realize what we've been through since 2006? It's the worst hell and franchise could imagine. Patience is short

Plus right field is a canyon. This doesn't help guys like Curtis and Duda. And has eliminated David's power to right

Does Granderson realize what we've been through since 2006? It's the worst hell and franchise could imagine. Patience is short

Plus right field is a canyon. This doesn't help guys like Curtis and Duda. And has eliminated David's power to right

In fairness, Granderson didn't say anything in this article.  Quotes are from Hudgens only.  But no one wants to hear this crap.  No one really wants to hear ANY crap anymore.  It's always a laundry list of excuses with these guys, and fans have had enough.  It's not like the fans who've been sticking by this team have been rewarded...if anything, they've had their intelligence insulted time and time again.   

As for Hudgens...whatever...he's pissed that he's been fired, so he's taking some shots on his way out.  I'm not really sure how much difference a hitting coach makes anyway.  It's pretty hard to take guys who don't get on base and strike out a lot (and have a history of doing so) and get them to improve significantly in those areas.  If changing the hitting coach turns out to be a mental shake-up that somehow pays dividends, great, but I'm not expecting much to change.

Although I like the SNY crew in general, Keith does get a little heavy-handed and holier-than-thou at times...Keith seems to think he was perfect during his playing career.  As someone who saw his entire Mets career, I can tell you, though he was terrific and was clearly a student of the game, Keith didn't always do the right thing, and he definitely didn't always hustle.  And he's got a well-known skeleton or two in his closet as well...not judging or knocking him for that, everyone makes mistakes, but when you're constantly playing the superiority card, it's a lot easier for everyone else to take note of your flaws.    

Granderson's quotes:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/jim-baumbach/curtis-granderson-can-t-understand-why-fans-boo-the-home-team-1.8158390

I'm sorry, nothing against Curtis the person, he seems like a nice enough guy, but this has been building for YEARS now, and besides, so far Curtis has been the second coming of George Foster, as far as his bat goes.  He's only just recently started to keep his BA above .200...what do you think Curtis, Met fans were just going to sit there and say "Well, gee whiz, at least they're trying, I guess another 70 wins or so is OK, we're just lucky to we have a baseball team at all!"?  Mets fans are not a "fickle" bunch (the author's work, not Curtis')...we're a frustrated one.  The team is often borderline unwatchable, and though we all want to be optimistic about the future, we're all waiting for "Well, we'd love to improve the team, but...", followed by excuses and more BS reasons and to why Sandy once again had to go either to the scrap heap, or overpay for a not-so-good or declining FA.   

Well it was another ugly root canal but the Mets pulled it out.

Mejia looked like he was on fumes but was bailed out by a nice running catch by Granderson in the corner

Solid outing by Niese

Well it was another ugly root canal but the Mets pulled it out.

Mejia looked like he was on fumes but was bailed out by a nice running catch by Granderson in the corner

Solid outing by Niese

Thought Niese's sixth inning was very disappointing...he had a pretty low pitch count through five, then completely fell apart...it looked like he had a good shot to get through seven innings before that sixth inning trainwreck.  It's one of those games that doesn't look too bad because he only gave up two runs in 5.2 IP, but I thought he let his team down with that awful sixth.

Niese has put up a 4.43 ERA in his last four games...he wasn't going to keep up the 1.82 ERA pace he was on before, but some of his numbers are meh lately...9 BB and 9 K in his last three.  Overall Niese is what he is...a nice, though not terribly durable, starting pitcher.  If he puts up a career-low ERA and some other eye-friendly numbers, Mets should probably see what he could fetch in a trade, but it's always hard to part with a decent lefty.

Doesn't look like Gee will be back anytime soon:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/87715/gees-absence-may-be-prolonged?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Yet another guy who looks like making 33 starts and reaching 200 IP is going to be a major challenge for him more often than not.  Maddening.

Vic Black is too damned funny...he throws 98 mph and has no idea where the ball is going.  Some guys are going to be terrified facing him.

David hits his 4th homer...all of 'em at Citi.  Now on pace for 12 HRs on the season.  Woo hoo!

Colon is really mowing 'em down today. 

He's done a really good Bronson Arroyo imitation this year...three putrid starts have killed his ERA and made some of his other numbers look pretty bad (especially hits allowed).   

The three trainwrecks:  15.1 IP, 31 H, 22 ER, 6 HR, 3 BB, 10 K, 12.91 ERA

The other 7 starts:  49.1 IP, 45 H, 12 ER, 3 HR, 4 BB, 42 K, 2.19 ERA  

I don't think I'll ever be a huge fan, but if he's giving his team a legit chance to win in 7 out of every 10 starts, I guess I have to take it. 

And Doofus hits a dinger to make a three-run game a five-run game.  At least he hits them when you really need 'em...please.

In this instance I don't mind running Colon out there into the 8th at 115+ pitches. We really don't care about the long term health of his arm and will likely be dealing him at the deadline anyway. Pen needs a breather

Edited by '7'

Thought Niese's sixth inning was very disappointing...he had a pretty low pitch count through five, then completely fell apart...it looked like he had a good shot to get through seven innings before that sixth inning trainwreck.  It's one of those games that doesn't look too bad because he only gave up two runs in 5.2 IP, but I thought he let his team down with that awful sixth.

Niese has put up a 4.43 ERA in his last four games...he wasn't going to keep up the 1.82 ERA pace he was on before, but some of his numbers are meh lately...9 BB and 9 K in his last three.  Overall Niese is what he is...a nice, though not terribly durable, starting pitcher.  If he puts up a career-low ERA and some other eye-friendly numbers, Mets should probably see what he could fetch in a trade, but it's always hard to part with a decent lefty.

Doesn't look like Gee will be back anytime soon:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/87715/gees-absence-may-be-prolonged?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Yet another guy who looks like making 33 starts and reaching 200 IP is going to be a major challenge for him more often than not.  Maddening.

Vic Black is too damned funny...he throws 98 mph and has no idea where the ball is going.  Some guys are going to be terrified facing him.

you're right on the 6, he labored but at least he didn't blow the damn thing

I think with what happened with Harvey, Gee's strain and uncertain return (though at least it's not his arm), Syndergaard being handled with kid gloves after his scare...I'm not willing to part with ANY arms not named Colon.

Vic Wild Thing Black. The guy who will strike out Stanton on 3 straight pitches and then issue a 4 pitch walk to a SS hitting .204. He belongs on the Mets. He's going to drive us nuts.

In this instance I don't mind running Colon out there into the 8th at 115+ pitches. We really don't care about the long term health of his arm and will likely be dealing him at the deadline anyway. Pen needs a breather

They're going to have to deal an arm or two to fill other needs.  They can't go into next season with an offense like this.  I agree, Colon would be my first choice, but that second year just about guarantees a meh return at best if they try to move him at the deadline this season.  The team taking him is probably not going to want to take all of the money still owed him as well, meaning the Mets will have dead money on their hands.

Niese has yet to show himself to be a 200 IP guy...sometimes you have to sell high.  If he has a career-year this season, it might be the time to act. 

They're going to have to deal an arm or two to fill other needs.  They can't go into next season with an offense like this.  I agree, Colon would be my first choice, but that second year just about guarantees a meh return at best if they try to move him at the deadline this season.  The team taking him is probably not going to want to take all of the money still owed him as well, meaning the Mets will have dead money on their hands.

Niese has yet to show himself to be a 200 IP guy...sometimes you have to sell high.  If he has a career-year this season, it might be the time to act. 

yea the return will not be spectacular for Colon. But I think we'll get out of it with out having to take on too much dead money (though we'll have to take on some) His value may go up if starting pitchers continue to drop like flies left and right. I wouldn't mind another bullpen prospect or SS prospect for him. Though neither will be blue chippers, maybe they can be serviceable down the road.

Also Chris Young needs to get the hell out of this lineup. Stick Abreu in the small Citizens Bank Ballpark outfield and just let him hit. Yea he's 40 with a pot belly, but Bobby Abreu will give you a professional, workmanlike AB every time and he knows the zone. Plus, only 4 K's in 41 ab's.

CY stinks something fierce.  This is why I have a very hard time feeling sorry for Sandy when people start bringing up payroll.  If you have limited funds, don't spend them on stiffs.  CY stunk last season too, and the year before wasn't much better.  He's hit over .250 exactly once in his career.  Don't bring in a guy who might hit 15 home runs but will do little else.  Terrible research by Sandy and his troops on that one.

re:  Colon, what would truly be awesome would be if he could somehow go on another streak like he did from 5/20 to 7/31 of last season.  These numbers are insane:

14 starts, 100.1 IP, 94 IP, 17 ER, 3 HR, 17 BB, 51 K, 1.51 ERA. 

Like nmig has pointed out, Colon definitely out-performed his peripherals last season, and was due to regress this year.  Fat and under contract next year or not, if someone is looking for a starting pitcher at the deadline and the market is thin, and Colon somehow approaches the above, someone might give up something decent...say a meh-ish major leaguer on a not-great contract and an A-level prospect with upside.   

Amazing how no team in this division can seem to get its collective act together for very long...Atlanta has lost three in a row and is now just 28-24.  It's too bad the Mets are right about where they should be...the NL Least is just begging for someone to step up and take control, but no one seems able to do it. 

Can't imagine what it must be like to watch Atlanta...the Mets have scored 204 runs and the Braves have scored 175.  They do hit some home runs (51), but don't do much more...they strike out a ton and have an even lower OB% than the Mets (.300...Mets are at .311).  

Unlike Passive, I expect that the Braves will do SOMETHING soon if they continue to have this much trouble scoring runs...they're not ones to take a "wait 'till whenever" approach.  Their pitching has been terrific...I doubt they want to waste a good pitching staff by not addressing their offensive needs.

Speaking of Braves pitching...check out closer Craig Kimbrel's numbers:  18.1 IP, 11 H, 4 ER, 0 HR, 3 BB, 36 K.  That amount of Ks is insane...basically two per inning.

For the Yankees, Robertson (closer) and Betances are also racking up the Ks:

Robertson:  16.1 IP, 12 H, 4 ER, 2 HR 4 BB, 27 K

Betances:  30.2 IP, 15 H, 5 ER, 1 HR, 9 BB, 51 K 

Good pitching or not, the strikeout epidemic has become rampant throughout baseball...it feels like SO many guys are striking out now.  A guy like Murph, who's always been pretty good about not striking out too much, suddenly feels like a refreshing godsend...especially with guys like Wright and Granderson in the lineup.

Murph so far is having a year similar to his 2011, injury-shortened campaign.  It's a tough call with him...if he finishes this season with similar numbers to what he has now (think .315 BA, .365 OB%, .800 OB+SLG), what do the Mets do?  I've always said that the Mets need more out of Murph than a .280/.320 OB%-ish kind of performance (especially since he'll never be more than an average fielder who doesn't possess much power, though he hits doubles), but if Murph actually has it in him to become a consistent .310+ BA/.360+ OB% player, then what?  He's a very quiet career .292 hitter, but let's face it...2012 and 2013 Murph isn't really a "must keep", especially when his deficiencies are factored in.  If 2014 Murph stays healthy and turns in a career year, then what?

2009, 2012, and 2013 were all similar, both in terms of games played (155 or more), and in OB+SLG (.740, .735, .734).  The big question (which could be answered early if Murph cools off the rest of the season) is did Murph turn a corner and become a better player, or will he go back to being to the basically non-spectacular, pretty good-at-best player he was before? 

At any rate, if Murph and Niese both turn in career years, what could the two of them + one of the Mets' young arms fetch in return?  If the Mets really want to reel in a big fish, they're going to have to give up some serious pieces. 

Same ol' Duda.

Only 3 BB in Zack's past three starts (18.2 IP), to go with 20 K.  He's shown teases of improving his control before though.

Still going...another K.

Bleech...damned bandbox.  Looks like TC is finally learning when to take out his starter at least.