Players Getting Scratched

hasunow

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the subject. I'll use a specific example:

Brunner v Ryder

I like both players and what they bring (when they are playing well that is) but why does Brunner get scratched and Ryder doesn't? I mean I'm not coaching and I don't see/know all the intangibles each player brings. But when Ryder goes 20+ without scoring he's called "streaky" and that's it but when Brunner goes 10 or less without scoring, he's scratched. They were both brought in to score so I sort of get it. Now Ryder isn't exactly a defensive monolith (nor is Brunner by any means) but I think I'd prefer a speedy non scoring Brunner over a sluggish non scoring Ryder (is it me or does Ryder look lost sometimes?). Again, by no means is this a knock against either player, just more of a conversation starter. Is it just a case of PD favoring vets more then anything else because I know he certainly does that and had a rep of mishandling the younger guys. Is Brunner that bad on D? Am I missing something? Thoughts?

I think track record has a lot to do with it.  Ryder has a much longer one...he's scored 30+ a few times, and averages about 25 goals per 82 games for his career.  I think PDB is more inclined to think that Ryder will start putting pucks home.  Brunner is more of a don't-really-know what he is yet, though he seems more and more like he's not going to be much better than what he is right now.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think CR kind of has it. Brunner has two seasons under his belt in which he has scored 12 goals or less. Ryder has 7 seasons of 15-30 goals or more. Ryder is much more likely to turn it on eventually. 

I am sure there is some Debo nuance preference to it too though. He seems to have a weird thing about picking certain players over others.

EDIT: Also, I would have brought this up in the Lineup/Roster thread but no biggy.

Edited by Neb00rs

if it was to be one or the other i think i too would choose to scratch brunner over rider .. maybe for a couple reasons that have already been mentioned as well ryder has more experience under his belt i dont really like one more than the other as i think both of them the majority of the time are just pretty much useless.. but i think brunner is even more lost out there almost every game then ryder is

I hate shot stats for Ryder because half of his shots are BS ones from outside the circles on the rush with absolutely no chance. He has to be hand fed a puck in the slot to be affective, adam and patty were forcing the puck to him all night and the majority of the the time it ends up being a odd man rush going the other way.

But let's hope he becomes hot again and goes on a nice run.

Edited by Zubie#8