Jacob Josefson signed to a one-year deal

RizzMB30

The Ruutu trade made no sense. If his contract expired at the end of the 13-14 season, I'd have no problem with it. Well, there's 2 more years on his contract and we have yet another 3rd/4th line caliber player in our lineup that is filled with too many 3rd/4th line caliber players. Oh, and his contract is a $3.8mill cap hit (which is HORRIBLE even with the Canes picking up 20% of his $4.75mill/season contract) with a No Movement Clause. :argh:

Length of contract aside, I think management was looking to shore up a lack of forward grittiness in the lineup with a player known to cause major headaches to opposing teams. Think Ponikarovsky type addition to the team with a bit of added offense to frustrate the Crosby's in the league. The Devils knew Clowe's health was a big question mark heading into the final stretch run of their playoff push and Zubrus' tough play wasn't as pronounced as in previous seasons. I was ok with the move and am looking forward to seeing what he can do with a full trainng camp behind him. I get the cap hit concerns, but you can never have enough grit heading into the playoffs and players that are difficult to play against can effectively shutdown bigger, more offensive minded guns. Edited by Guest

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying that coaches don't have stats the same way that players do for fans to evaluate them by.  You can't look at a coach and be like, "This person has scored me so many points, therefore they are valuable to the team."  The main point is that coaches are the easier to get rid of and are the first to blame when things go down the toilet. 

Oh ok I misunderstood your post then.  Carry on.

I can't agree with you 100% but i can't disagree that Josefson is mishandle by Deboer. (if im JJ i would be pissed) But the gentleman drinks lou.s Kool aid because he's staying with us. I respect Josefson and wish him good fortune this year.

This coach is (and will always be) a what have you done for me lately.  (like all NHL coaches) Show me what you got and you'll play accordingly. Coach can't give you "time" to work on your game. JJ has short comings. Not strong on the walls, sometimes unwilling to go to dirty areas. In the players exiting interviews with management last year, what do you think JJ was asked "to work on" over the summer? I would love for him to succeed here and not be a bust. I'm sure Lou/Deboer does as well. Signing him to a 2 yr contract is showing confidence. Now JJ needs to show urgency, not Deboer.

Sure it does, if a team claims him and he doesn't work, they have to find some place to put him the next year

No they don't.  They can loan him to the KHL (with his consent, of course) or bury him in the minor leagues.  It is really not a concern at all for at least 20 of the teams in the NHL.

They could, but who wants to pay him $800k to be buried in the minors? 

Anyone willing to take the chance on him?  They could buy him out for $260,000 split over the next two years, which is probably something like 1/250th of next year's cap number.  This is just not an issue for most clubs.