New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

What live chicken did we sacrifice to bring back the 2006 Reyes?

Meh, still only hitting .250 with a .302 OB% overall, and of course, missed time with injury.  When he starts approaching a .340ish OB%, maybe I'll start to warm up to him a little.  Still don't like the idea of him being here beyond this season.  Like I've said, I think he's much more Eric Young at this point in his career than he'll ever be younger Jose Reyes. 

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Too bad we couldn't bring back 2012 Niese :P  Of course he'll probably get every start the rest of the season cause there's nobody better and Wheeler's had yet another speed bump and is probably done for the season.

They might as well try Seth Lugo, he can't be worse than Niese or Verrett although it's entirely probable he's AS bad.

Wheeler pretty much done:  http://nypost.com/2016/08/17/mets-get-mostly-good-and-bad-news-on-zack-wheeler/

Of course, this blows because if he came back and pitched well, there would've been more flexibility in the offseason to move an arm for a bat.  What's crazy is that 2017 will be 2016 all over again...Mets probably have to bring back a friggin 43-year-old (44 in May 2017) Colon as insurance for all of these weak arms.  What else can they do? 

Agree on Lugo...Niese wasn't that bad, really, but he just keeps getting killed by the longball this season, and coming back to the Mets hasn't changed that (4 HR allowed in just 10.2 IP as a Met).  Sometimes you get goofy trends that last throughout an entire season...2016 Niese is a HR-allowing machine, and as we know, someone who's not exactly gifted with mental toughness is going to let those dingers get to him.  Just like the Mets, 2016 just doesn't seem to be Niese's year.

7 hours ago, '7' said:

Cespedes is back tomorrow and I think Cabrera may not be far behind. If we don't turn it on with them in the lineup and go on a 6-7 game win streak to correct things then it's over and it will be over before September even rolls around and Citi will be a ghost town

13-19 since the All Star break counting todays loss. Truly brutal. Unwatchable too.

We watched the division slip away, the first WC slip away, now the 2nd WC is 4 games. This is very close to bottom dropping out territory.

The Mets literally have to sweep the Giants four straight. 

It's over.  It's been over.  This team can't even win three friggin' games in a row.  Just not meant to be this season.   

Conforto 13-for-19 since his latest demotion, now slashing .425/.483/.738 in the PCL.  Whoopee. 

Rosario 1-for-his-last-21, AA slash down to .319/.362/.450.   

56 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Conforto 13-for-19 since his latest demotion, now slashing .425/.483/.738 in the PCL.  Whoopee. 

Rosario 1-for-his-last-21, AA slash down to .319/.362/.450.   

The Mets have kryptonite in their clubhouse somewhere.  If Conforto went to another team he'd probably hit .400. The Mets have the plague. 

13 minutes ago, capo said:

The Mets have kryptonite in their clubhouse somewhere.  If Conforto went to another team he'd probably hit .400. The Mets have the plague. 

I just hate when Met hitters get demoted to the PCL and promptly start putting up fantasy numbers.  Are they really learning anything?  Improving on deficiencies?  You just KNOW Conforto will come back here and promptly go 1-for-15.  And what's maddening is that it doesn't look like the Mets will be setting up AAA-shop anywhere else anytime soon.  It'd just be nice to be able to get ANY kind of read on the Mets' AAA players.  Matt Bowman is a perfect example...the guy looked like a lost cause last season, but has been a decent reliever at the major-league level this year.  Maybe it's a fluke, maybe it's luck, maybe he won't repeat this...but it would've been nice to see him pitch in a normal environment last season. 

Yeah, Bowman has been way better than I expected. Solid K/BB, tons of groundballs. Probably nothing more than a middle reliever ceiling still, but that's a major success for a Rule 5 guy who looked like a lost cause after last season.

No idea what the Mets can do to sure up the 5th starter spot the rest of the way; maybe try Lugo, Gsellman, or Gilmartin... Gsellman would be my first choice but he's not exactly lighting it up in AAA and the others may be no better than Verrett or Niese. Maybe they can search the waiver wire for another Niese-type and cross their fingers.

Edited by nmigliore

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I just hate when Met hitters get demoted to the PCL and promptly start putting up fantasy numbers.  Are they really learning anything?  Improving on deficiencies?  You just KNOW Conforto will come back here and promptly go 1-for-15.  And what's maddening is that it doesn't look like the Mets will be setting up AAA-shop anywhere else anytime soon.  It'd just be nice to be able to get ANY kind of read on the Mets' AAA players.  Matt Bowman is a perfect example...the guy looked like a lost cause last season, but has been a decent reliever at the major-league level this year.  Maybe it's a fluke, maybe it's luck, maybe he won't repeat this...but it would've been nice to see him pitch in a normal environment last season. 

Yep, this is why I vehemently hated the move to the PCL when it happened... it's total joke environment and just makes player analysis more difficult. 

1 hour ago, nmigliore said:

Yeah, Bowman has been way better than I expected. Solid K/BB, tons of groundballs. Probably nothing more than a middle reliever ceiling still, but that's a major success for a Rule 5 guy who looked like a lost cause after last season.

No idea what the Mets can do to sure up the 5th starter spot the rest of the way; maybe try Lugo, Gsellman, or Gilmartin... Gsellman would be my first choice but he's not exactly lighting it up in AAA and the others may be no better than Verrett or Niese. Maybe they can search the waiver wire for another Niese-type and cross their fingers.

FWIW, Gsellman had been good in the five games leading up to his last start.  His overall numbers in his last six starts are pretty good for the PCL:  38.2 IP, 34 H, 16 ER, 12 BB (half of those came in his last start), 35 K, 1.19 WHIP, 3.73 ERA.  I'd give him a shot. 

Facing Bumgarner with a dumpster fire lineup, all I can say is that I hope they don't get no hit. Cabrera and Cespedes are back tomorrow so we will at least be putting out some semblance of a real lineup soon. 

Bruce needs to start putting the ball out of the ball part soon. And how bad is Walkers back injury? Also we're due to miss him for some games due to paternity leave. Hopefully in a few days we'll see...

Reyes 3B

Walker 2B

Cespedes LF

Bruce RF

Loney 1B

Cabrera SS

d'Arnaud C

Granderson/Ruggiano/DeAza CF

You know that should NOT be the worst offense in baseball if they can ever get on the field healthy together.

Edited by '7'

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Eh what a terrible time for him to have a one-off.  Just seems the way it's going if deGrom pitched well Bumgartner would beat him 1-0 but when Bumgartner doesn't pitch well that's when deGrom doesn't have it.

I guess I would be more accepting of it if the Giants raced out to 8-0, but we staked him to a 4-0 run lead in the 4th. You have to at the very least bring the game into the 7th at 4-3 at that point

deGrom can normally battle through him not having it, but this is the worst I've ever seen it with him. That Ruggiano homer...for a split second I thought maybe it could be a turning point and immediately it was erased.

7 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Eh what a terrible time for him to have a one-off.  Just seems the way it's going if deGrom pitched well Bumgartner would beat him 1-0 but when Bumgartner doesn't pitch well that's when deGrom doesn't have it.

That's the story of the 2016 Mets, really.  Even the guys who've been good overall (like deGrom) just have this way of coming up short when it seems like that's the game or the spot where you really need them to come up big.  They just DON'T. 

The Mets' top 4 starting pitchers have pitched to a combined ERA of 3.07...yet they've come up small in so many important "Gotta have it" games that it sure doesn't feel that way.  Yeah, they've gotten screwed too, many times...but the sad fact is, no matter who is out there right now, you don't feel comfortable with ANY of these guys taking home any kind of lead. 

Of course, Heaven forbid Matz ever not have some physical ailment (now it's a sore shoulder), but I'm glad Seth Lugo is getting a start.  Wins and losses no longer matter with this bunch of losers...Sandy had his chances to try to right this season, but instead chose to be uncreative and lazy and brought in Jay Bruce...so might as well see what an older kid like Seth Lugo (next year will be his age 27 season) has, if anything.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's old news, but the Rafael Montero Reclamation Project continues.  In seven starts with AA, he's put up the following numbers:  40.2 IP, 28 H, 9 ER, 3 HR, 17 BB, 32 K, 1.99 ERA.  It will be interesting to see if they keep him down there for the rest of the season, or trying to bring him back up to AAA...or even back up to the majors when rosters expand (should the Mets be out of it).  I'm not sure how heavily he still fits into the Mets' plans...obviously with the young arms being so damned fragile, as bad as the past couple of years have been for Montero (they really couldn't have been any worse), the Mets are going to need some depth, and they just don't have any.  Sadly it's hard not the think that the Lugos, Gsellmans, and Monteros won't have some impact on the club in 2017.  It's impossible to believe that any rotation the Mets put together for 2017 (with most of the current crew) will make it through a full season intact.  Time to find out if Montero is just the latest arm to get killed in the PCL but might be decent in the majors, or if it's simply time to move on. 

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If anything last night proves that Lugo deserves a chance to ride out a few starts in the rotation (which might be the rest of the season at this point).

Agreed. His box score looked great until Blevins came in and blew it up. He came out with 69 pitches.  I realize he's coming from the pen, but damn...

It's too late to do anything about the managerial situation now.  And unfortunately there's still idiots out there who think Terry had something to do with last season.  Right place right time.  He was a bad manager then and he's a bad one now.

11 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If anything last night proves that Lugo deserves a chance to ride out a few starts in the rotation (which might be the rest of the season at this point).

2016 couldn't be more over.  The rest of this season needs to be about prepping for 2017.  I'm all for seeing what Lugo can do away from the PCL.  He doesn't project to be much of anything, but there's no harm in giving him some innings.  Especially since our starting pitchers can barely seem to handle 150 innings.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yoenis "I'm the entire offense" Cespedes. What a world of difference he makes when he's in the lineup and hitting.

Bartolo Colon. He is 43, obese, goofy looking at times. He is the forgotten man on a staff that once sported Harvey and Wheeler and Thor and deGrom and Matz, and even Niese was held in higher regard at times

But with Wheeler and Harvey shelved. Thor and Matz up and down with their spurs and all, deGrom just crapping the bed in a huge game after being handed a 4-0 lead, here is Bart waddling in, quietly shutting the Giants down, and the Mets win

He really is underappreciated. He was a true stopper today

8 hours ago, capo said:

I know its a major long shot but its going really sting as a Mets fan if the Yankees find a way in after selling... 

They are still 5 out of a wild card and 6.5 out of the division. They have played well but have also been pretty lucky overall. Schedule is gonna get tough for them. I can't see them doing it.