2016 Miami Dolphins thread

Hi, I'm VALUE!

Franchise tag decisions are expected to be finalized by today.  I don't expect Miami to franchise anyone (their only close candidate is Stills and we've already discussed that he's not worth franchise-tag-caliber money) though they may transition tag Stills as they did Vernon last year.  

One thing that is notable for Miami is that Dont'a Hightower is not expected to get franchise tagged by the Patriots.  Not only will you strengthen a position of weakness (linebacker), but you'll weaken a division rival that you're chasing in the standings.  Hightower is both a great cover linebacker and a great run-stopping linebacker AND he can get to the quarterback, and he's turning 27 when Free Agency opens.  His only knock is that he missed a few games last year due to injuries to his meniscus and shoulder.  Assuming Alonso is moving to the weak side, you bring him into Miami to run the middle of the defense then draft the other strong-side linebacker with a draft pick or sign a two-down "thumper" to play the strong side (who will come cheaper than your average linebacker).  

Not sure if @Colorado Rockies 1976 has any other thoughts on Hightower beyond the above - to me it seems like the physical tools are there, but there's a question of health.

Overall, Miami probably has the cap room to take on two big free agents if they get creative with the contracts, but they also might be better off making the splash on the second wave of free agency, getting multiple quality veterans that will not require major cap commitments.  I kind of think they'll go that way with Wide Receiver if Stills walks, treating Parker/Landry/Caarroo as the top 3 and bringing in a 4th to compete with Caarroo and/or play when someone gets hurt.

• Like 1

Hightower isn't a big sack machine (17 career sacks in 67 regular season games), but like you allude to, he's one of those guys who does a lot of things well, and has strong instincts.

He's missed about a season's worth of games in 5 seasons (13).  Yeah, I think the Pats are probably a little worried about his long term health, as he's already got five NFL seasons under his belt heading into what will be his age 27 season.  I get the feeling that they'd welcome him back, but aren't going to overpay him.  And BB's trading of Jones and Collins and winning another SB probably has him in full "everyone is ultimately expendable" mode.  He might feel a little differently if Hightower was a little younger and a little less prone to missing games, but I get the feeling that that the Pats aren't going to go all out to bring Hightower back.  Not as much as some teams will.    

Bad news today - free safety Isa Abdul-Quaddus' playing career is in jeopardy as he's experienced several setbacks with his neck injury.  Which is a shame, because he was a great partner for Reshad Jones.  

Now Miami may be in the market for a free safety as well - or they could turn it over to Michael Thomas.  In either case I think it's a near-guarantee that Thomas gets tendered a contract (I think he's an ERFA right now) as he's the backup safety right now (as well as a core special teamer).  

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Branch got three and 27... $9 million a year for him seems excessive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on how the money is laid out and what the cap hit is.  How much of that is bonus and how much of that is salary?  How much is guaranteed?  If it's a front-loaded 1 year guarantee with non-guaranteed money on the end, I'm mostly OK with that.  It's a high price for a player, but the money this FA is going to be STUPID.  Witness - Mike Glennon getting something like 4/60 or 3/45, which they're talking about for the Bears.

Either way, Miami believes the 10 starting games they got out of Branch this past year is real, while the rest of his history in Jacksonville isn't.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Stills back for 4 years $32 million, 20 guaranteed. Solid deal. http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article137321733.html

I guess this is good news.  However, if the money committed to Stills gets in the way of significantly upgrading the defense and solidifying both guard positions with Tunsil moving to left tackle, it'll all be for nothing.  When the O-line was healthy, the offense was, for the most part, good enough, and I think could have survived without Stills.  The defense got shredded by the likes of the Bills and even the 49ers.  Without significant improvement on defense there is no way the Dolphins can compete with the Patriots or a healthy Steelers.  And I don't want the pinnacle of my Dolphins fandom to be just happy to be somewhat relevant, much less see the Pariots win the next three Super Bowls, which looks like where things are heading.  

I'm willing to bet the combination of both Branch's and Stills' deal will not preclude Miami from signing a major free agent.  The first year cap hit will be around 5-6 million I'll bet for each, which leaves about 18 million in cap room.  Still enough room to sign a major FA, though I hope Timmons isn't one of the guys they're considering.

• Like 1

Fins also extend:

• A first round tender to Kiko Alonso
  • An original round tender to Michael Thomas
  • An original round tender to Damien Williams.

Thomas may draw some interest - I think it would have been worth it for Thomas to be a second-round tender depending on the price, as right now he's the starting FS if Abdul-Quaddus is done.  Kiko probably got a first rounder as a sign of good faith, since his orignal round tender was a second round pick and a lot cheaper.  Williams is a passable #3 RB.

IAQ released. He's calling it a career. I feel for the man.

Reshad Jones extended - including the last year of this deal, it's 5/60/35.

Good, I like that deal. Reshad is my favorite player on this team not named Wake. I'll be getting my Jones jersey now.

Fins signed Steelers LB Lawrence Timmons to a two year deal for $12 million, with $11 million in guarantees. Nice signing there, and a really good contract. We also signed guard Ted Larsen, who was with Chicago last year.

Larsen should compete for a starting guard spot this year, maybe replacing Bushrod.

The Timmons signing - I'm not a huge fan - his play has been trending downward, and the contract is basically fully guaranteed so he's on the roster for the next two years.  But it's such a small contract that as long as he plays all 32 games he has a shot at outplaying this contract.

Looks like the guy we traded for doesn't believe in dinosaurs and thinks the moon landing was faked, and also believes in mermaids.

Lmfao I didn't realize Hayes was the same guy- I had heard about a dude from the Rams who didn't believe dinosaurs existed, but I had forgotten his name- I guess he's into alternative facts lol.

Larsen should compete for a starting guard spot this year, maybe replacing Bushrod.

The Timmons signing - I'm not a huge fan - his play has been trending downward, and the contract is basically fully guaranteed so he's on the roster for the next two years.  But it's such a small contract that as long as he plays all 32 games he has a shot at outplaying this contract.

A good friend of mine who's a big Steeler fan told me that Timmons has slowed down, but can still perform at a high level and do pretty much everything well still- hopefully he can help, but it's relatively low risk given the amount of money. Hayes is obviously a bit of a loon, but he's good at setting the edge so between him and Timmons, I'd like to think we've improved our atrocious run defense.

• 2 weeks later...

More news:

Koa Misi restructured his contact (read: probably took a pay cut) to give the Dolphins some more flexibility.

Miami is also flirting with Free Agents Johnathan Hankins (DT) and Zack Brown (LB).  

Hankins is angling for a multi-year expensive contract, and no one has budged, so there's a possibility for a one year prove-it deal for the Dolphins here.  I doubt a long-term commitment is forthcoming considering all other commitments that Miami has forthcoming (next year's going to be a hard year for the cap if we assume Landry is getting extended).  

Brown is simply looking for more money than Miami is offering.  Negotiation tactics abound methinks, but FWIW they're not close on money per the Miami Herald.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...