New York Mets 2016-2017 Offseason Thread

'7'

Cespedes opting out...

Rubin is claiming he wants 5 years. Fine pay him 5. If we have to go 6, go 6 (we'd pay him through 36 at that point). But he CANNOT under any circumstances be in the Bronx or DC next year. That cannot happen.

Edited by '7'

Just now, '7' said:

Cespedes opting out...

Yeah, we all knew that was coming...was pretty much a no-brainer.  The only reason for Years 2 and 3 of his deal was for his own protection, in case he stunk up the joint. 

I draw the line at four years and $100 million for him.  Maybe give him another opt-out at two years.  Maybe give him a 5th-year option with a buyout.  But a fat-cat version of Cespedes is a dangerous engine to hook the train to.  Yeah, I still think you gotta roll the dice and bring him back, but you can only go so far. 

There's some other right-handed sluggers available this off-season...he's not the only game in town. 

Jesus Christ...maybe we can pick up Chapman and have a lefty-righty combo that can beat women from both sides of the mound.  Never friggin' ends.

In fairness, gotta wait until everything comes out.  Don't have all of the facts.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Thing is assuming this isn't a fabricated or exaggerated issue the Mets (and the fans for that matter) are in a tricky spot.  The Mets can't exactly give full-throated support to Familia for obvious reasons but on the other hand they can't afford to boot him out the door for fifty cents on the dollar either the way the Reds did with Chapman.  They especially can't boot him out on principle while they still have Jose Reyes on the roster.  And the fans who took Reyes back no questions asked after his issue can't then turn around and get indignant with Familia.

If something happened and Familia has a long suspension the Mets are just going to have to eat it until his suspension's over, start the year with Reed closing and bring in another good setup guy and/or retain Salas.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Sadly, you can expect that Reyes' situation and history will be brought back up...and of course, someone in the media (or with a loud enough voice) will play the "Mets must condone this sort of thing, that's now two players on their roster who've abused their spouses!" card.  Just the worst kind of publicity.  

All I want is for the whole truth (within reason) to come out.  Far too often all we hear about is the arrest and the charges to the man.  As though the man just decided that one day, he chose to beat his wife, well, because some men just do that, by virtue of being men.  There's SO much to these stories that don't ever get reported, and quite often the woman's role in what might have happened is either minimized or ignored altogether.  Did she hit Familia first?  Was there a physical altercation that involved BOTH parties?  Was she mentally abusive towards him in the past?

Not saying that Familia was right here in the slightest...more that just once, it'd be nice if we were actually given more details than we often get, besides:  Man hit woman.  Man arrested.  Man bad.  Woman always victim.  

What helps the Mets is this came to life right as the world is amping up for a Game 7 for the ages, so this won't get much play right now...but again sure we don't know every detail but clearly something happened, and it only takes a second to ruin a reputation. This will be investigated and we will get the truth but god damn, why do these athletes have to be such numbskulled odiots sometimes.

The Wilpons are paying very close attention. They are obsessed with being the family friendly "safe" team. Now a Reyes and Familia? This won't sit well with them at all. Last thing they want is the Mets to acquire a reputation as some rogue outlaw team. Or them as owners who tolerate this. They would rather lose with choirboys than win this scum. And that's just their mindset. Make of it what you will.

none of this really matters when it comes to results on the field. Here you see scumbag Chapman brilliant once again...but it is impossible to root for anybody who has ever put his hands on a woman.

Edited by '7'

• 2 weeks later...

With all of the young (yet uber-fragile) stable of young arms the Mets have, they couldn't afford to keep Colon forever...more money to give to other players as well.  Guy did a nice job while he was here though.  No complaints.

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Neil Walker takes the qualifying offer

Gambling on himself.  His injury likely screwed up this walk year for him.  Anyway, another reason the Mets couldn't overpay to keep Colon, which is fine.  I'm good with one more year of Walker, but I think after this season, Sandy should let him walk.  He'd be very risky on a multi-year deal.  

Love getting Walker back on the QO; perfect outcome for the Mets, in my opinion. 

Gonna suck to see Big Sexy in a Braves uniform - not because of the talent swing but just sentimental feelings. I'd be surprised if Mets fans boo him when he visits Citi Field for the first time... he was too likeable.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed this team finds a way to get rid of Bruce and bring back Cespedes.

Edited by nmigliore

I would bet my soul he's back as a Met. I just have that feeling regarding Colon. Mets/Braves have had a cozy trading relationship of late. Atlanta isn't making any sort of run this year so they will have no use for him the 2nd half of the season. We will (god willing, cross my fingers) have a mostly healthy staff this year. And when you add Gsellman and Lugo to Harvey and Wheeler...doesn't leave too much room for Colon.

It's amazing how steady his numbers have been in his 3 years as a Met. No wild variations anywhere. 

I've heard Bruce to Toronto in passing. Who do they have who we'd want? Reese McGuire? Nah doesn't hit enough. Don't want to be duped by another Toronto catcher.

Vlad Guerrero Jr. would have to be a part of any package. I'd like Kevin Pillar from them.

1 hour ago, '7' said:

I would bet my soul he's back as a Met. I just have that feeling regarding Colon. Mets/Braves have had a cozy trading relationship of late. Atlanta isn't making any sort of run this year so they will have no use for him the 2nd half of the season. We will (god willing, cross my fingers) have a mostly healthy staff this year. And when you add Gsellman and Lugo to Harvey and Wheeler...doesn't leave too much room for Colon.

It's amazing how steady his numbers have been in his 3 years as a Met. No wild variations anywhere. 

Yeah, I can totally see a scenario where the Mets reacquire him at the deadline if they need a back-end starter due to injury/ineffectiveness. To a somewhat lesser extent, this situation played out last season with Kelly Johnson. 

This goes without saying really but Colon is definitely one of the wonders of baseball at this point considering his velocity, pitch tendencies, age, weight, etc. It just feels like a package that is destined to explode with an injury or getting destroyed at some point, but who knows when that will happen. You can tell me April 2017 or never and I'd believe both. 

If he can maintain being the Big Sexy that we've come to know and love the past few years, and we have the need in July, I'd be happy to bring him back. But at least the Mets aren't taking the gamble of $12M+ blowing up in their face. They have far more pressing needs to throw that kind of money at. It just makes too much sense to ride one of the young guys like Gsellman for a fraction of the cost.

Edited by nmigliore

• 2 weeks later...

Rumors that the Tigers' JD Martinez might be a possible target for the Mets (they'd have to deal for him...he's a free agent after the 2017 season), if Cespedes falls through.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/mets-have-some-interest-in-j-d-martinez.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+(MLB+Trade+Rumors)

Guy has been a much better hitter with the Tigers than he was with the Astros.  29 years old, .898 OB+SLG as a Tiger.  Supposedly Detroit has no interest in signing him long-term. 

A brilliant deal. 4 years thank you, perfect amount of years. Probably encompasses the remainder of his prime. We won't be saddled with him as some 37 year old liability. I think he can slug his way through the entire contract.

They didn't mess around. Got it done in relative short order.

Cespedes was the perfect fit from us from day one, despite the brain farts. 

Tremendous news! Seems like both parties found a happy medium with supplying a higher AAV in exchange for not going 5 years. Either way, we NEEDED to resign him so this is awesome! 

Now it's time to make Jay Bruce go away. Conforto is younger, a better defensive player, cheaper, and so on. I would hate to see the Mets sell low on Conforto and keep Bruce. Dump him for whatever and sign Steve Pearce. Pearce would be a great fit here - he can serve as much-needed platoon partner for Conforto and Duda while also serving as an insurance policy if Conforto flops (I'd bet against that - Conforto still managed an .800+ OPS vs RHP last season) or if we get hit by injuries again.

Edited by nmigliore

Cespedes was always going to be a risk...but this was a chance the Mets had to take.  There is definitely the potential for this one to blow up in their faces...just hope Cespedes doesn't turn into a fat cat.  That will always be the fear with him.

I think Cespedes' camp knew that the market for him wasn't going to be anything better than what the Mets offered...I think other teams are wary of him.  At least no one screwed around with this. 

Yeah, Bruce has to go.  That was a bad deal from the second Sandy pulled the trigger.  I'll take my chances with Conforto. 

Anyway, obviously the offseason is off to a pretty good start, though there's still a VERY long way to go...but we can't kid ourselves...at the moment, all the Mets have really done is maintained status quo.  Neil Walker (whose back issues have to be a concern) and Cespedes return from last season's 87-win team.  Colon is gone (and he had to be...$12.5 million was too risky, and the Mets have younger and cheaper arms in their system)...but Colon was also somehow reliable and usually effective, in spite of everything that suggests that he shouldn't be. 

So many questions to be answered...starting with do the Mets really think David Wright can possibly be anything more than a hindrance in 2017?  And is this still destined to be the Land of Endless Chances...where we'll see yet more of Duda and d'Arnaud and Plawecki?  I get that the new 3rd base coach was brought in to help the latter two, so I'm expecting that they'll be back.  But Duda?  The guy is a classic bad-team ballplayer, the guy who can manage to stick for 10+ years and have some nice seasons, but doesn't really belong on a serious contender.  Just hope we're not "celebrating" simply having kept much of the 2016 group intact by the time the Hot Stove cools down.  This team DOES need some upgrades and changes...starting with some of the K-prone bats being jettisoned.