2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Just now, '7' said:

Familia can no longer pitch an important inning for this team again. He's done as a pitcher

fvcking LOSER.  

And sorry, that’s it.  Mickey’s gotta go.  No more.  Guy is not fit to manage a little league team, let alone one in the majors.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

lol and not only does Familia blow the game but where the hell do they go if this goes to extra innings with having to use THREE relievers in the ninth and Diaz/Lugo supposedly unavailable?

They pretty much give up 8 in the top of the 10th and call it a night

Yeah, Lagares’ kryptonite bat was really getting a hit.  Another loser that just gets to hang around forever it seems.  

They got out of it.  Now hopefully they can overcome Mickey the Moron and somehow scratch across the game-winning run.  Not counting on it.

Alonso gets it done with a sac fly.  Thank you Davis, McNeil, and Pete.  fvck off Mickey and Jeurys.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Phew. Nice to see Alonso get the run in. He's gonna K a lot but in an AB where he needed to just make contact...he did just that

Big AB for him, especially being down in the count.  And unfortunately damned near EVERYONE Ks a lot these days.  

Unfortunately Vargas provides no length, even on a better day...which means the pen has to pick up a lot of outs...and we saw what that can lead to...

Familia now with a 2.02 WHIP...of course Mickey is still buttering him up.

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well hopefully it's just one team that owns Diaz cause we really don't need HIM starting to blow up now.

I'm not worried about Diaz...I think in his case, it's one of those random "puny sample" anomalies that we'll forget about as the season goes on.  I don't think he's suddenly become homer-prone (though he did allow 1.4 HR per 9 IP back in 2017). 

The problem was more the offense last night anyway.  Unfortunately Michael Conforto really seems to be the next coming of Pat Burrell...the guy either looks like a world beater or is almost completely invisible.  He's slashing .139/.360/.250 over his last 12 GP...yes, at least he's getting on base even when he's not hitting, but it's hard not to get a little concerned about him, because his disappearing acts really hurt. 

Mets only averaging 3.64 RF per game over their last 14 games (5-9 record).  They've now dropped to less than 5.00 RF per game on the season (4.97).  Hopefully Lowrie can give them a boost, almost like an early season trade.  If Cespedes has any real interest in actually playing, maybe he helps way down the line too...definitely not counting on him. 

13 minutes ago, '7' said:

Bizarre series with the Reds who were surprisingly pesky and annoying

Good to see Thor get on track today. Shut 'em out and hit one out 

Worth remembering that the Reds' offense is pretty weak, so deGrom and Syndergaard having good outings against them shouldn't be overblown...but I'm somewhat hopeful that Syndergaard can start to put things together and build off this performance.  He's been too maddening for me to fully believe he's not going to suck again in his next start.  And in deGrom's case, I won't be worried about him until I see him struggle for months at a time. 

Reds can pitch...or, at least they're off to a fine start in that regard.  Mets offense is really plummeting to Earth in a big way though.....that's now just 52 RS in their last 15 GP (3.47 RPG)...9 of which came in one game...43 in the other 14, which is really not good.  1 RBI in the last two games, and that one came from Syndergaard.  Immediate future seems a little iffy right now...yeah, the Mets are 16-15 and very much in the hunt in a slow-starting NL East, but it's kinda hard to feel terribly good about them. 

And since it hasn't been brought up...Familia to the IL.  I don't think this is as much about him being legitimately injured (yeah, he's got a bone spur, but I don't think he's truly "hurt"), as it is "Take this time to attempt to figure out how to stop being a complete fvcking disaster every time you take the damned mound!"  Who knows if Eiland can get him to at least be respectable. 

Well at least Thor put the big boy pants on today when the team needed it.  Nice to actually have the two aces pitch like it again although on the whole the 5-5 homestand was a bit underwhelming.

Alonso rookie of the month for April...good start for him, and backed up his talk last year about being ready.

Edited by NJDevs4978

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well at least Thor put the big boy pants on today when the team needed it.  Nice to actually have the two aces pitch like it again although on the whole the 5-5 homestand was a bit underwhelming.

Alonso rookie of the month for April...good start for him, and backed up his talk last year about being ready.

Hell of a month overall for Alonso, but he's cooled off considerably since completely shredding it earlier on...over his last 18 GP, he's slashing .231/.329/.431 (.760 OPS)...he also has 20 Ks in those 18 games, though he looks like he's the typical "new age" hitter who will strike out 200x or so and not even blink, so whether he's striking out or not will really not have much bearing on how hot or cold he is.

Now of course he wasn't going to continue being so insanely hot, and considering that he's a rookie, we'd probably take the last 18 games and say, "Well, at least he's generally holding his own...not bad for a kid who just made it to the majors."  But I think we'd all better be ready for some slower stretches from him...the overall numbers for April might have some fans blowing up expectations already, and I don't think that's fair.  I expect him to have a much quieter May. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hell of a month overall for Alonso, but he's cooled off considerably since completely shredding it earlier on...over his last 18 GP, he's slashing .231/.329/.431 (.760 OPS)...he also has 20 Ks in those 18 games, though he looks like he's the typical "new age" hitter who will strike out 200x or so and not even blink, so whether he's striking out or not will really not have much bearing on how hot or cold he is.

Now of course he wasn't going to continue being so insanely hot, and considering that he's a rookie, we'd probably take the last 18 games and say, "Well, at least he's generally holding his own...not bad for a kid who just made it to the majors."  But I think we'd all better be ready for some slower stretches from him...the overall numbers for April might have some fans blowing up expectations already, and I don't think that's fair.  I expect him to have a much quieter May. 

We do have to temper expectations for him. I mean right now he's projected for what...47hr 136rbi? That's probably not going to happen. When he looks bad he looks bad during an AB and chases anywhere and everywhere. I've seen pitchers have some success going up the ladder to him. If he can turn in a 35/110 I'd be elated. There are definitely holes in his swing that will be exploited. His power is absurd though. I mean he is strong enough to hit balls out that he's been fooled on and don't look like they are going out when seeing him make contact from the usual TV camera angle...and yet they make it over. He has very rare strength. It's not quite Stanton/Judge...but it's close

Oh man I'd be doing cartwheels if he turned in 35 HR and 110 RBI.  I think he'll wind up with less than 100 RBI and around 30 HR.  Like you've pointed out, pitchers are already adjusting to him.  Not saying that he won't adjust back, but hopefully the majority of Mets fans will be patient with him as things get to be more difficult.

Doesn't mean I'm not optimistic about his future...if he put up an .800-.850 OPS from here on out for 2019, I would happily take it.  That would mean he got through the rest of the season without often looking overwhelmed.  That would also put him firmly in the Rookie of the Year conversation I've gotta think. 

On another note, it's just about time for Tebow's dream of making it to the show to end.  Through 21 GP at AAA, he's slashing .143/.211/.186...with 27 K in 21 GP.  He has a career .660 OPS as a minor-leaguer.  Like I've said before, I give him credit for really trying and giving it his all, and for at least being respectably not good overall, as opposed to being a complete joke...hell, his numbers in AA were actually pretty passable (though of course the insane K totals said plenty about how much ability he really had).  I guess if the Mets want to keep letting him play in AAA, so be it, but please, no call-up to the Mets, even if they're out of the race...if he can't handle AAA, then I really don't need to see him get a "Because he's Tim Tebow!" free pass to the big club in September, and then watch him for 2-for-30 with 15 K or something hideous like that. 

So of course now that the Mets are starting to pitch, the bats go completely silent.  Same ol Mets.

You wonder how long they can stick with Rosario if he's going to be just meh offensively and god-awful defensively.  You need to be prime Nomar Garciaparra to play SS as a butcher, or at least HoJo in one of his 30-30 seasons lol, and Cano with another being Cano moment - figures, you would hope he'd at least keep it to the five-plus run games.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Nice Peter!  Damn...

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

You wonder how long they can stick with Rosario if he's going to be just meh offensively and god-awful defensively.  You need to be prime Nomar Garciaparra to play SS as a butcher, or at least HoJo in one of his 30-30 seasons lol, and Cano with another being Cano moment - figures, you would hope he'd at least keep it to the five-plus run games.

Yeah I’m starting to think Rosario is overrated...lots of ribbies this year, but that seems fluky and unlikely to continue.  

In some ways, Cano might even be a bigger fat cat than Cespedes...scary thought.  At least he does seem to have some desire to be on the field though.  Guy does play a lot.

fvcking Rosario...I’m really getting beyond fed up with him.  

Won’t come as any great shock when the Brewers finally win this thing.  This could go 20+ and this team won’t score.