How short of a leash will Cory Schneider have this year?

Jerry Lundegaard

Going into this season, it's hard not to be extremely pumped up about every acquisition. But I have kept myself super reserved because of the goaltending situation. Blackwood was very promising last year, although he went through funks. But goalies becoming legitimate in their late 20's isn't a rare occurrence, so I hold out hope for that. Corey's preseason definitely was promising, but how can devils fans not be hesitant to trust the guy to take us to the playoffs? He's been dreadful for the last two years. When I hear fellow fans saying he could have a bounce back year, I have trouble not picturing them in a Rangers jersey and substituting the word Schneider for Lundqvist. 

So my question is, if we're 10 games into the season, and Cory is 2-4-2 with a 3.57 GAA, .890 sv pct., he's has to ride the pine correct?

I was pretty disheartened when the Devils didn't make an attempt at Varlomov, but Shero has been dead on in his tenure here, so let's hope for the best.

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

All depends on how he plays. If he plays he'll be the main starter. If he sucks Blackwood will definitely get more starts and have the ability to steal the starting position. 

Yes, I think Hynes has demonstrated that he'll go with the hot hand (or not go with the cold hand) in that situation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jerry Lundegaard said:

Yeah I threw that 10 game scenario out there. So we're in agreement, short leash? Lol

I think that's a fair number. 

A different question, if he is playing well, how many games does Cory get? I would start out with the concept of Cory playing 55 games (roughly 2/3 of the schedule), and adjust that up or down based on how he is feeling, how he is playing, and how well Blackwood does. 

I worry about Cory's health if he plays 60+ after playing 40 and 26 the last two years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerry Lundegaard said:

Yeah that's a great question. And I think the answer to that is how well Blackwood plays. If after 25 games Blackwood is 4-6-1 with a 3.01 GAA & .902 sv pct., I would play him maybe every 4-5 games. 

Sounds right.