GDT: Devils @ Washington: Round 2 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

On 3/27/2021 at 6:50 AM, Lateralous said:

You’re welcome.  Since you claimed to have seen many teams rebuild and “we are by far the worst”, it seems like it was needed.  I’m not even sure why you think the rebuild is going that poorly, because we’re not in the top half of the standings yet?   Would you prefer we were more like the Rangers where the vets are doing all of the scoring and yet they’re still out of a playoff spot?

Unfortunately Nico has been out all season but I’ve seen major progress from Hughes, Zacha, Smith, Wood and Blackwood, Bratt has been trending in the right direction lately and Bastian, Sharangovich, Maltsev and Kaokkannen all look like solid young pieces.  Hell, even McLeod, who was probably a bad pick from day 1 is contributing more than I ever thought he would.   All while literally having no meaningful practices since the holidays, which for a young team can’t be stated enough.  

Given where Lou left this team 6 years ago in terms of young assets, where do you think we should be at this point?  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying we’re Chicago or Tampa yet either.   To me, next year is the one where we need to see a jump and that includes management starting to fill in the roster with more veterans that aren’t total sh!t like Palmeiri, Vatanen and Johansson (Crawford?) have all been this season.   

Hey man, sorry for not responding sooner. Never been a big stats fan. My post you rebutted was mostly emotional. I agree this team looks promising but seeing same crappy mistakes over and over can piss anybody. I do watch other teams when I get a chance. I guess seeing McDavid and other young super stars kinda blindfolds and you lose track of a team's progress. I didn't even expect the Devils to make the playoffs this year so I'm not disappointed. I'd like more consistency but then again this damn covid break has definitely affected them and Nico got injured...and most of all I hate the teams that have our number lol. We seem to find the recipe against Boston. Hope they'll return the favor to Caps and Isles. LGD.

Edited by Devs64
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Devs64 said:

Hey man, sorry for not responding sooner. Never been a big stats fan. My post you rebutted was mostly emotional. I agree this team looks promising but seeing same crappy mistakes over and over can piss anybody. I do watch other teams when I get a chance. I guess seeing McDavid and other young super stars kinda blindfolds and you lose track of a team's progress. I didn't even expect the Devils to make the playoffs this year so I'm not disappointed. I'd like more consistency but then again this damn covid break has definitely affected them and Nico got injured...and most of all I hate the teams that have our number lol. We seem to find the recipe against Boston. Hope they'll return the favor to Caps and Isles. LGD.

That’s fair, I just get frustrated when people think that since we’ve been doing this for 5-6 years, we should be challenging for playoffs and division titles by now.  My main point was that most rebuilds don’t happen that quickly and Lou left us in a particularly bad position when it came to young assets and veteran players of value that could be sold for additional assets.  Other than Larsson, Severson and Henrique, we were basically starting from scratch.   

It’s now only been 6 drafts since Shero came on board and 5 since we kicked Conte’s ass out.   Obviously we’re not getting any NHL production out of the 2020 class yet but early returns on our picks are promising.   That leaves us with Zacha, Blackwood, Bratt, McLeod, Bastian, Maltsev, Hischier, Boqvist, Smith, Sharangovich and Hughes all playing some amount of time at the NHL level from the 5 other drafts.  6 of those players can probably be considered core guys.  I know you can debate the McLeod and Zacha picks in particular but overall, that’s actually quite good.   Also, if you’re just comparing the guys who were realistically considered for the top pick the two years we had it, we took the right guy with our two most important picks of the entire rebuild.  It’s not the Devils fault there was no Crosby or McDavid the year they had the top pick.

Friday night sucked, I agree but overall, It could be a lot worse.  I’d rather have Blackwood, Smith, Bratt, Zacha, Severson Wood and Hughes being our best players for the most part rather than Vatanen, Subban, Zajac, Crawford and Palmieri carrying the team.  We’ve also played basically the entire season without the best of the young core in Hischier.  

Hang in there, I think next year we’ll see noticeable improvement.   

Edited by Lateralous