2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

I suspect the Mets will make a move for a starting pitcher…not a star of course, but some vet who should be able to keep the Mets in games.  Their depth is just about gone now.

26 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Damn what a DP!

Yeah saw the replay...that was something else indeed!

Remind me again why, in spite of all of the Ks he racks up, that it's IMPOSSIBLE to trust Diaz.  He's that guy that you just KNOW is going to break your heart in infuriating fashion.  

On the one hand it’s not like they hit Diaz around, two infield singles and a SB, on another the two walks didn’t help although they got stranded as it worked out.

Again we see making contact matters. The only reason they got a run was making contact. The only reason they didn’t get more was two K’s

Edited by NJDevs4978

Some chatter here and there about the Mets being a possible suitor for Oakland starting pitcher Frankie Montas.  He is 29 but still has one year of arbitration left before he becomes a free agent.  His numbers are pretty good…and he’s only making about $5 million this year.  He certainly wouldn’t come for spare parts…Mets would have to part with at least one good prospect to land him.  

Already a quarter way through the season...Mets currently on pace for 105 wins.  No I don't think they'll win anywhere near that many...maybe 95 tops.  If I had to pick a number right now, I'd say 93.  They'd have to go 67-55 the rest of the way to get there.

The other teams in the East with any real chance (I consider that the Phillies and Braves...I can't take the Marlins seriously yet) would really have to pick it up to make that happen...to get to 94 wins, the Phils would have to go 76-48, and the Braves would have to go 77-47.

That being said, I learned my lesson from last season...I'm not going to lock in the Mets into automatically managing to play .549 ball the rest of the way...last season's disappearing act is still way too fresh in my mind.  I'm also not going to assume that either the Phils and/or the Braves won't ever go on a major surge.  The reason the Mets have been able to build such a solid cushion is that even though they have yet to go on a real winning streak, they've basically gone the whole season without any kind of losing streak...not so much as a three-game losing streak so for (and only once all season have they lost back-to-backs).  Gotta think a skid is coming at some point...especially without Scherzer in the rotation.  The question is when do the Phils and Braves start to get their seasons going?

Mets sign Trevor Cahill to a minor-league deal...he's now 34 and has had a decent major-league career (his best seasons have largely come with Oakland, most of them several years ago).  Hard to really know what the Mets will get out of him, if much of anything, but this is how it starts...look for warm bodies and options.   

One thing about the Mets is this year they have the manager, they have the division falling in their favor, and they do have the committed and dedicated owner with a full year under his belt ready to spend, and if need be, buy his way out of an injury rut. This is going to be a tough stretch to get through until one of Scherzer or deGrom is able to return. We've got 3 more games coming up in San Fran and the killer 10 game west coast swing (Dodgers/Padres/Angels) it's key that they don't fall into one of those 2 wins in 11 games type tailspins that have short circuited previous seasons.

If they want to make a move to Montas then go out and get him early if you can. Hopefully have him by early June and that rough part of the sched. There are other stopgap types that we can look at...Drew Smyly, Zach Davies. I would certainly call the DBacks about Bumgarner.

10 minutes ago, '7' said:

One thing about the Mets is this year they have the manager, they have the division falling in their favor, and they do have the committed and dedicated owner with a full year under his belt ready to spend, and if need be, buy his way out of an injury rut. This is going to be a tough stretch to get through until one of Scherzer or deGrom is able to return. We've got 3 more games coming up in San Fran and the killer 10 game west coast swing (Dodgers/Padres/Angels) it's key that they don't fall into one of those 2 wins in 11 games type tailspins that have short circuited previous seasons.

If they want to make a move to Montas then go out and get him early if you can. Hopefully have him by early June and that rough part of the sched. There are other stopgap types that we can look at...Drew Smyly, Zach Davies. I would certainly call the DBacks about Bumgarner.

I agree, Steve will HAPPILY try to buy the Mets out of any potential crisis.  I have no doubts about that at all.

And yeah, Buck is so the right guy for the Mets that it's almost scary.  Everything about him screams "manager".  

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I agree, Steve will HAPPILY try to buy the Mets out of any potential crisis.  I have no doubts about that at all.

And yeah, Buck is so the right guy for the Mets that it's almost scary.  Everything about him screams "manager".  

It actually reminds me of Parcells coming to the Jets tbh…right guy, right time for a franchise that lost their way. And yeah Bill couldn’t quite get the Jets over the hump but the Jets were for the most part a solid team for about a decade or so after his arrival.

Another DH tomorrow lol

• Like 1

Mets seem to attract DHs the way that Severson attracts minuses, heh heh.  At least they've managed to not to get swept in them as of late.

We're roasting in an inferno here meanwhile out in Colorado it's snow postponements in late May

Amazing that the Bartolo Colon rumors started up again. I mean he's what 48...49 years old. I think he did pitch last year in the Mexican league. Doubt he could do much in the pro's at this point as he was getting beat up pretty badly his final season in the bigs and that was four years ago. But seems like he's still hanging around waiting for a call

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Looks like our usual DH split is upon us, just keep on winning three of every five somehow - or four of every seven even for the most part, despite missing their top two pitchers.

9-7 in their last 16…doesn’t sound great, but then you realize that that translates to a 91-win season.  Hope they can keep that up for a while, though might be difficult, given the current rotation.  

Yeah even though the Mets have had some bad luck with injuries, on the field a hell of a lot has gone their way. They don’t really overwhelm anyone, but they keep finding ways to win series and rack up wins.  Now eight games up on both the Phillies and Braves.