Who's The Best?

Derek21

Just a FYI...

I'm going to wait one more day before tallying all the totals. There might be more votes on a Monday than today.

So, the plan is to wait till sometime tomorrow night to total everything up and then we'll have our first poll on who deserves to be ranked number one overall.

The most surprising aspect thus far is how many different players have been named for the number one ranking. But that's what happens when you ask for six names. You have a lot of varying opinions out there.

I think you'll see St. Louis finish in the top ten when we get there. The competition is great.

The most surprising aspect thus far is how many different players have been named for the number one ranking. But that's what happens when you ask for six names. You have a lot of varying opinions out there.

I think you'll see St. Louis finish in the top ten when we get there. The competition is great.

Oh mine wasn't in any order like that -- I just made a team for the fun of it. Sorry if that missed the point.

If you wanted to go number one player all around... well you can't! I'd say Brodeur just to be a homer even though I don't think it's true.

Two different methods...

Top 6 players:

1. Jarome Iginla --CALGARY FLAMES--

Has been putting up great numbers, and this past post season showed he can lead teams to glory... although he fell short this time around with a team having no business being there.

2. Jaromir Jagr --NEW YORK RANGERS--

Theres a reason why in the Q&A players mention Jagr as the toughest guy to defend... The guy has so much skill; yet has zero work ethic... If the players didnt give him the respect; I wouldnt... but honestly, if the players on the ice praise him to death... I can't help but do the same.

3. Scott Niedermayer --NEW JERSEY DEVILS--

Such a fluid skater; one of the few players in the leauge who can crash the net and get back on d without a huff; completely effortless skater; effortless skill; good scoring touch; and good leadership.

4. Martin Brodeur --NEW JERSEY DEVILS--

Brodeur is coming off his 2nd vezina year; and seems to be gaining confidence... Im predicting next season to be a great one, much like his first half last season. No other goalie in the history of the game has players moves down in his head... Not the all-star game when he predicted what each player would try against him... he was wrong once; and he was scored against on that one.

5. Bobby Holik --NEW YORK RANGERS--

The Rangers are starting to use him like they're supposed to. Talk about Madden all you want; Holik is the better version of Madden... A hard checking center who has a good scoring touch. The absolute best in his position, a-hole or not...

6. Markus Naslund --VANCOUVER CANUCKS--

Gritty, tough, and can score on you at the same time... He sticks up for his team mates; and is not afraid of taking a penalty... which to me is a plus.

-----------------

My Active Dream Team 1st Pairings

-----------------

Naslund-Forsberg-Iginla

Chara-Niedermayer

Brodeur

Edited by aylbert

Oh mine wasn't in any order like that -- I just made a team for the fun of it.  Sorry if that missed the point.

If you wanted to go number one player all around...  well you can't!  I'd say Brodeur just to be a homer even though I don't think it's true.

Well it's supposed to be fun PK. It didn't have to be in any order either. Just six players you think deserve to be up for the number one ranking overall.

It's good to see you're honest about the last part.

As a note: I'm surprised Martin St. Louis isn't gettin' more love. Going into the playoffs, many considered him to be the best player in the league, or at least within the top 5.

he had ONE good year, and a decent year the one before. how can anyone possible nominate im for top 10 let alone top 1. i think he gets wayy to much credit if you ask me.

he had ONE good year, and a decent year the one before. how can anyone possible nominate im for top 10 let alone top 1. i think he gets wayy to much credit if you ask me.

I don't think he should be penalized for how he rose to stardom. Three years ago, St. Louis was on his way to a career year and then went down to injury. So, he was in the process of already becoming good. He bounced back from injury and built on what he did.

This is not a one-dimensional player either. He can play well in all three zones. I've watched St. Louis a lot. And out of a ton of forwards, nobody can steal the puck better and then turn it into a goal like him. He is so underrated defensively. He plays in every situation and makes teammates better. That's the ultimate reason why he deserves to be considered for the top ten.

Just want to let people know that if you want to get votes in, you'll have until about 1 AM tonight before I make the final tallies.

Thanks to everyone for participating. I am looking forward to tallying and putting our first poll up.

Here are the final tallies. The top four made the cut due to one tie.

NHL RANKINGS (1 - 50)

Ranking # 1 Tally:

Accounted for: Derek21, ChicoisGod, Ice Thief, Devils731, MissionHockey, Max, insanity gallops, squishy, Swede, JesterDevil, Pepperkorn, JasonMacIsaac, aylbert, Zero and langsgirl

FINAL TALLIES:

Brodeur- 15

Iginla- 10

Sakic- 8

Naslund- 8

Lidstrom- 7

Forsberg- 7

Kovalchuk- 4

St. Louis- 3

Jagr- 3

Niedermayer- 3

Thornton- 2