2024 New York Jets Season Thread

Cuts and free agency starting up soon...predictably they haven't signed or tagged Bryce Huff, typical.  They haven't developed a pass rusher since John Abraham (who they also binned off), finally do and they draft Will McDonald to replace him because he's too expensive now.  After all the money they threw around last offseason on Aaron Rodgers and junk, not to mention other expensive deals like John-Franklin Myers for mid-guys.

Oof...Patriots to deal Mac Jones to the Jags for just a 6th-round pick.  Pats clearly aren't the only team in the AFC East to draft a QB in the first round and have it not work out...ouch.

Looks like Mac is already being tabbed as a permanent back-up type to boot, despite being only 25.  

Knew it was coming but it still stings (kind of feels like losing Hugh Douglas when he went to Philly and played pretty damn well) when Huff was called upon to get to the QB he did. Outstanding player and a tough loss for our D.

Eagles are an upper echelon franchise, ended last season on a very sour note and wasted no time retooling.

Edited by '7'

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oof...Patriots to deal Mac Jones to the Jags for just a 6th-round pick.  Pats clearly aren't the only team in the AFC East to draft a QB in the first round and have it not work out...ouch.

Looks like Mac is already being tabbed as a permanent back-up type to boot, despite being only 25.  

If Mac Jones (who has had about 1000x more competence at the position than Zach Wilson) went for that, then Wilson almost seems absolutely worthless. One is a trade and the other would be a signing but if that's the value of Mac Jones then Wilson must be looked at as a fringe practice squad QB/long term project by the rest of the league.

Jones can craft a long career as a back up and sometimes decent starter when called upon. I don't think Zach could even be trusted to do that

16 minutes ago, '7' said:

If Mac Jones (who has had about 1000x more competence at the position than Zach Wilson) went for that, then Wilson almost seems absolutely worthless. One is a trade and the other would be a signing but if that's the value of Mac Jones then Wilson must be looked at as a fringe practice squad QB/long term project by the rest of the league.

Jones can craft a long career as a back up and sometimes decent starter when called upon. I don't think Zach could even be trusted to do that

What’s funny is that apparently Mac wasn’t that far from being released, but there was just enough interest in his services that the Jags were willing to offer SOMETHING for him before someone else got him on the open market.

It’s insane how quickly things can change…not so long ago Mac was looking like a solid QB, as he was helping to lead his team into the playoffs.  Now is he not only already gone, but he’s in a position where he clearly has NO shot to be in some mix to become a starter.  I’m kinda surprised only because it’s not like he’s done NOTHING in the NFL.  But when you lose your job to Bailey Zappe (and look plenty bad doing it) I guess your stock can indeed fall that far that fast.

• Like 1

Finally the Jets land a competent backup QB in Tyrod Taylor. He has his limitations but he's a veteran who you can trust, very well liked by his teammates, mobile, and is a lot smarter/careful with the ball in terms of decision making. He does not throw many INT's. Exactly the backup you want behind Rodgers

As stupid as Rodgers is, I don’t think he’s THAT stupid when it comes to football at least. Missing a season and likely ending his career for a spoiler campaign for president would be comparable to what Mark Gastineau pulled.

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

As stupid as Rodgers is, I don’t think he’s THAT stupid when it comes to football at least. Missing a season and likely ending his career for a spoiler campaign for president would be comparable to what Mark Gastineau pulled.

What's scary about Rodgers is that he's one of those really stupid guys who thinks he's actually brilliant.

One thing I'll say about him:  I've rarely seen someone who's so good at finding new and different ways to be as annoying as possible.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

As stupid as Rodgers is, I don’t think he’s THAT stupid when it comes to football at least.

I hope he is. It would be hilarious 🤣

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What's scary about Rodgers is that he's one of those really stupid guys who thinks he's actually brilliant.

💯💯

Thrilled about Tyron Smith. Didn't think they would be a realistic landing spot for him but they got it done. The O line has been significantly retooled. It was a must for Douglas to address

I hope we have better injury luck than the past few seasons...we're kinda due for that.

Smith is hurt every year and hasn't played more than 13 games since 2015. He will be hurt again this year and we have to prepare for that. The question is how badly and for how long.

If the Jets get 12 or 13 quality starts from Tyron Smith I feel it will be worth it

I feel like with the teams that have come into the league, and the injuries...finding competent linemen is becoming more and. more difficult so you see a lot of older guys hanging around and hanging around longer than they normally would. Recently look at guys like Jason Peters (41) Whitworth (40). Giants brought Justin Pugh back last year. Trent Williams at 35. Lane Johnson and Kelce's bro who just retired were both well into their 30s but still valued guys

Edited by '7'

Mike Williams also on a one-year deal.  This is more the kind of stuff we should have been doing last offseason, but better late than never?  At least if (when?) this season blows up they won't be committing much damage to the future cap, for the next GM.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2024 at 8:03 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One thing I'll say about him:  I've rarely seen someone who's so good at finding new and different ways to be as annoying as possible.  

This post could also apply to Kyrie Irving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

At least the Jets made the responsible pick and not the luxury pick (Bowers) at a position that never works out for us early in the draft 

Pats did what pretty much everyone expected.  Every single thing pointed to Maye being their guy.

That being said, the two biggest wastes of time, re:  the draft...mock drafts, and draft grades.  Mock drafts have always been a joke, because so often some move happens that no one sees coming, which throws the other picks out of whack, and the only picks that are usually gotten "right" are the extremely obvious.  And draft grades are also a joke...until these guys get ON THE FIELD, who knows for absolute sure what's going to happen...especially when it comes to QBs?

I'm obviously hopeful with Maye...the Pats figure to be so bad next season that I won't be surprised if Maye sits for the upcoming season, while the Pats take their lumps with Brissette and win 3-5 games, get another Top 5 pick, and hopefully by the end of 2025-26 begin to have enough of a young nucleus to begin a climb to respectability.  I'm actually OK with Maye not being rushed, if it turns out that he needs time before he's thrown to the wolves.  Pats have a TON of holes to fill; a rookie QB on a bad team isn't going to move the needle much.  

12 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

This post could also apply to Kyrie Irving.

The one big difference is for all of Rodgers’ off field ills he hasn’t yet quit on a team or missed games because of selfish, indulgent reasons the way Kyrie has, at multiple stops.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The one big difference is for all of Rodgers’ off field ills he hasn’t yet quit on a team or missed games because of selfish, indulgent reasons the way Kyrie has, at multiple stops.

Yeah Rodgers actually does want to PLAY.  Guys like Cespedes, Irving, Simmons, Harden…not so much.

That being said, some guys retire and basically enjoy the newfound quiet and almost disappear.  That won’t ever be Rodgers.  He won’t know how to deal with not getting enough attention.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah Rodgers actually does want to PLAY.  Guys like Cespedes, Irving, Simmons, Harden…not so much.

That being said, some guys retire and basically enjoy the newfound quiet and almost disappear.  That won’t ever be Rodgers.  He won’t know how to deal with not getting enough attention.

I’m sure he’ll eventually find his way to one of the pregame studios so that he can subject all of us to more of his antics.  Terry Bradshaw won’t live forever, and Rodgers has just the right mix of arrogance and obnoxiousness to take his spot.

Edit: I’m not making light of Terry’s recent health issues, merely pointing out the obvious.  Rodgers can’t not make everything about himself, so he’ll jump at the chance to have cameras on him every week.

Edited by ButlerBulldog
  • Like 2