Brodeur to lead favored Canada

Rock

Brodeur to lead favored Canada

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php?qstr=...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Monday, August 30, 2004

By TOM GULITTI

STAFF WRITER

The timing for the 2004 World Cup of Hockey is either very good or very bad.

With a lengthy NHL lockout expected to begin the day after the championship game Sept. 15 in Toronto, the 15-day tournament could be the last high-level hockey North American fans see for some time. So the World Cup, which traditionally brings out the best the game has to offer, either will be a big tease or a farewell gift from the NHL stars.

Play begins today in the European pool: Czech Republic, Finland, Sweden, and Germany. The North American bracket begins with a rematch of the 1996 final between Canada and the United States on Tuesday night in Montreal. St. Paul, Minn., will host North American games between the United States and Russia on Thursday and the United States and Slovakia on Friday.

It's been eight years, but Team USA is still the defending champion. Trying to recapture some of the 1996 magic, the Americans originally brought back 12 members of that squad until injuries and contract problems forced them to bring in some new blood.

"That says a lot for our players in a positive way, that we have still so many guys who have experienced that and will be able to share their experiences with other guys on the team," said Ron Wilson, who also coached the 1996 team. "And we've got a rallying cry now, '96, and we want to be able to defend our title."

Still, Canada enters the tournament as the favorite after beating the American NHLers for the gold medal at the 2002 Winter Olympics. The bulk of gold-medal team is back, including Mario Lemieux, Jarome Iginla, and Devils' goaltender Martin Brodeur and defenseman Scott Niedermayer.

Sweden, Finland, and the Czech Republic also should be strong. Slovakia originally had some of the best forwards in the tournament, but Ziggy Palffy and Peter Bondra are out with injuries. Several Russian players, including goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin, turned down invitations to play.

The United States has a huge void to fill in the net, with former Ranger Mike Richter, the 1996 World Cup MVP, retired. Philadelphia's Robert Esche, the Islanders' Rick DiPietro, and Edmonton's Ty Conklin should see action in the three preliminary-round games, but Wilson could have a tough time picking a No. 1 man.

The Americans have depth up front, but are thin defensively after losing Hal Gill (broken foot) and Jordan Leopold (concussion) to injuries and having Mathieu Schneider and Derian Hatcher pull out before training camp opened. Devils' defenseman Brian Rafalski also suffered an undisclosed injury during training camp, but is expected to be ready for the the tournament. Devils' teammates Scott Gomez, Jamie Langenbrunner, and Paul Martin also will play for Team USA.

I still can't make up my mind. As an American, I'm used to rooting for the USA, but I pulled for Canada in the last Olympics (Dad and I just couldn't root for Richter over Marty...my Mom couldn't understand it). I'm going to root for a USA vs. Canada final and then I'll be happy no matter who wins.

Oh, yeah, here's a big one to root for...NO DEVILS INJURIES!!!! :hail::hail::pray::pray::pray::hail::hail:

I'm not sure what I'll think IF I get to see it even...

The Olympics -- it was like being a Michigan fan... i was rooting for the US but just finding every reason to yell at the players. I was grumpy canada was winning but still thinking Well see THAT'S why the Devils are good.. except Sakic that was just disheartening all the way around :lol:

To me the Olympics were a little tougher because there was only one Devil on the US team, B-Raf. Now there are FOUR, including three of my favs in B-Raf, Langer and Gomer and Martin as well. That, coupled with some other stuff (Gretzky's little tirade during the last WC being one factor, off-ice political nonsense also factoring in too) makes it FAR easier to root fur the US this time.