Paul Kariya Might Be Available At The Deadline

Blackjack

What would you give up to have a top line of Kariya-Elias-Gomez?

Or you could do it like this

Elias-Nieuwendyk-Friesen

Kariya-Gomez-Brylin

Jay Maddenbrunner

Bash line

Odd man out is Gionta. He could replace Friesen or Pandolfo

One thing to remember is that we almost certainly wouldn't get him because he makes around $10 million per year. At least he wouldn't be a rental though, as he's only 28.

First off, the Devils would have to trade away ATLEAST Elias to get Karyia, so Elias definetly wouldn't be on the Devils. Karyia is Anahiem's current/only franchise player, and they won't let him go for just Nieder and 10 draft picks, they would want serious fire power in return. But, since the Devils and Dicks have traded before, maybe they would do again.

If we were to get Karyia, we would have to dump alot of salary to pay for this ridiculus expenses.

Newy makes about $5.5 million, I would think about trading him maybe. Nieder makes about $3.8 million. That would free up about $9.3 million to pay for Karyia.

But, how would you feel about trading Kenny "Rocket Slap-Shot" Danyko. Dano's salary is about $2 million. For his age, and game level, he is way over-payed.

So, the only way I could see Karya coming here is this...

To Anahiem...

Elias+Newy+Dano

To NJ....

Karyia+Cullen+Vishnevski

I don't think I would do that trade. Even though it is Karyia and I would love to have him on the Devils, I don't think I would do it.

Plus, I don't think Karyia line mates would be able to keep up with him.

Interesting topic

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...y.php3?pid=2640

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla....php3?pid=21469

Elias is only 2 years younger then Kariya. Plus, if Lou would trade Arnott for Newy, I don't think age factor is really an issue.

Put Karyia with Newy or Gomez, and his stats will REALLY shoot up. Gomez and Friesen are the only players that would be able to keep up with Karyia.

Also, the only reason Kariya is payed so much is that he won't become a FA. That's the only way Kariya would stay on the Ducks.

Put yourself in Anahiems position...

Karyia is your franchise player, equivalent to Brodeur and Elias being the franchise players on the Devils. Would you trade Elias for a 2nd line winger, a 3rd defensman, and 5 draft picks? Would you trade Brodeur for a 2nd line winger, 3rd defenseman, and 5 draft picks? I don't think so.... You would want serious fire-power in return.

The same goes for Anahiem. They won't trade their 28 year old franchise player for (38?) year old Newy, White, 5 picks. The Dicks would want a player like Elias in return.

So now it would be a case of who would you rather want... Elias or Kariya?

Elias, he's half as much money, younger, and I think he's a little better defensively. But look at the Bure and Jagr deals; they were salary dumps as well. Elias for Kariya would be a marginal upgrade and we would be paying twice as much money for a player two years older. Now that the Ducks have other guys that can score, like Sykora, Chistov, and Leclerc, I could see them moving Kariya for a package of players, prospects and picks.

Of course age plays a role. Do you think Dallas would've done the Arnott trade if Nieuwendyk is 26 instead of 36? I don't.

All of your speculation is a bit off base. The Devils would not have to give up as much as you might think for Kariya. I live in the anaheim area and attend quite a few Ducks games and I know for a fact that Kariya is expendable. In fact, he almost hurts the team. Granted there is not a single player on that team that can match Kariya's skill but he is treading water. The biggest mistake that franchise made was trading Selanne. Kariya has never really recovered from that. After the Nashville game the other night I had a chance to meet several of the players including Sykora (which was a thrill, he signed my Elias jersey and took a picture my my daughter and I.) Kariya snubbed us. Kariya has a bad attitude.The fans love his ability to score but hate him as a person. They call him "Captain Gutless."

I strongly believe with another player like a Gionta we could of landed Kariya and not Friesen in the big trade. The Ducks are even more "fiscally resposible" than the Devils. They need and want to dump salary.

Elias, he's half as much money, younger, and I think he's a little better defensively. But look at the Bure and Jagr deals; they were salary dumps as well. Elias for Kariya would be a marginal upgrade and we would be paying twice as much money for a player two years older. Now that the Ducks have other guys that can score, like Sykora, Chistov, and Leclerc, I could see them moving Kariya for a package of players, prospects and picks.

Of course age plays a role. Do you think Dallas would've done the Arnott trade if Nieuwendyk is 26 instead of 36? I don't.

Kariya is payed twice as much as Elias just that Kariya won't leave Anahiem. If Kariya played on NJ, he would be payed as much as Elias. If Elias played on Anahiem, he would be payed as much as Kariya.

The Devils got enough defense, all they need is scoring, that's why we're talking about Kariya. The thing is Anahiem can afford Kariya, it's just that they realized that Kariya alone can't take Anahiem to the playoffs.

Dumbest topic yet? We're not getting Kariya. Who on offense could we possibly trade to get even a 30 goal scorer? Elias, that's it, and Lou isn't trading him. Colorado is off to a slow start, I heard Blake is expendable and all they want is Madden and a 5th round pick. Detroit wants a little more for Lidstrom... and Federov. They want Brylin and a 3rd round pick. Let's do it! Man I could be a GM today! Calgary isn't that hot, they're shopping Iginla. I'm sure Pandolfo would secure us him. Call up Wahington, we could get Jagr right now for Turner Stevenson. Holy sh!t, with me at GM we'd have a hall of fame team. It's that easy.

If Kariya is traded, there's no way he returns Elias.

There's also no way the Devils are interested.

I doubt Anaheim would do it, but if they do, expect the Leafs to come in with a package of Antropov, Colocaivo, and Boyes for starters.. a package the Devils cannot match.

Devs need a scoring RW, not left wing.

Dumbest topic yet? We're not getting Kariya. Who on offense could we possibly trade to get even a 30 goal scorer? Elias, that's it, and Lou isn't trading him. Colorado is off to a slow start, I heard Blake is expendable and all they want is Madden and a 5th round pick. Detroit wants a little more for Lidstrom... and Federov. They want Brylin and a 3rd round pick. Let's do it! Man I could be a GM today! Calgary isn't that hot, they're shopping Iginla. I'm sure Pandolfo would secure us him. Call up Wahington, we could get Jagr right now for Turner Stevenson. Holy sh!t, with me at GM we'd have a hall of fame team. It's that easy.

:lol: That's why Deals discussed here never will come true. Cause everyone proposed deals like those posted by DW666. Yeah, lets trade Gionta, White, 5 picks for Kariya so they can dump salary.

Come on, would you trade Elias (for the sake of arguement, ELias's salary is $10 million) for Cullen just to dump salary? I didn't think so. So what makes you think Anahiem would trade Karyia for a bunch of 3rd liners. The only way Kariya is to come to NJ is if all these come true...

1.) Elias is headed to SoCal with Sykie..

2.) The Devils trade/waive their highest payed players just to free up salary..

3.) beat out every other team probably offering more to Anahiem then NJ...

4.) beat out the Rangers before they offer Kariya $20 million dollars

In other words, this is an interesting topic for the sake of arguement, but it NO WAY will happen.

Kariya will never be a Devil. For all we have to offer, almost any other team in the league can best us in that department.

I wouldn't trade Elias for Kariya.

Anaheim wouldn't take Nieuwendyk because they have no need for him. Oates is a true assist man and Rucchin is playing great now that he's healthy. If Nieuwendyk were 30, they'd maybe consider it; then again, if Joey were 30, we wouldn't shop him.

We really couldn't offer them a top package that they would think was a fair swap for their franchise player.

Fun to think about though... hmm, maybe in NHL 2003... :uni:

I think that is 100% BS. What professional athlete truely wants to play on a team like the Ducks. They'll never win anything, they have like 20 fans, they are named after a Disney Movie, they are a joke. If Kariya truely means that, he's got to be a moron.

Uh... maybe he wants to finish his career with the organization because he knows they're building their teams around him, he's a fan favorite, he likes the area, he likes the possibilities that lie in the future of the organization.

Oh yeah, and he's also played his whole career there. That's not something many professional athletes accomplish.

On the other side though, it's quite possible that he wouldn't mind being on a playoff team that had a legit shot at the Cup. But I think that if he really wants the cup that badly, he'll wait until his contract expires and then test the free agent market again, and maybe take less money to play on a contending team (ala Hasek).

Besides, if Anaheim moved Kariya, they would upset almost all of their fanbase. He's a great player and I'm pretty sure he's quite active in the local communities, too.

Kariya is an invitation to losing.

I am sure his acquisition would make the Devils as successful as Anaheim.

We would lose far much than we would gain to acquire him.

He is not worth trading any of our players and with his contract is another liablility.

We don't need an overpaid speed midget.