From the World Cup...

Elias Sports Bureau

Let's see in between watching the hurricane the size of Texas barreling down on my family back home and winding up as the only cell phone able to get them and pass on information, we did have some highlights at the World Cup.

Before the first game we met Buzz Schneider at Reid's hockey bar... What a nice guy, didn't even mind me trembling a bit... talked with us for a while, told us his son who played him in 'Miracle' was auditioning for other movies... and that Jim Craig was gonna be there too! Now that man's eyes just dance. You can tell how he's made a career out of motivational speaking. Both of them are really really good at it and don't seem to be tired of people telling them how much their win meant to them... 24 years later.

We joke that because we "worshipped" at the Herb Brooks statue's feet, that we got to meet two '80s heroes.

Was really great to hear Wilson just praising all four Devils in interviews -- he didn't mention every guy on the team, but all our guys did get props. I have a feeling some day that a Wilson-coached NHL team will be picking up Rafalski. He really grooves on his play.

Oh, we actually saw Wilson on his way into the arena one day when we were heading to Herbie. My friend said "good luck tonight", he said "thanks" and I just grinned like an idiot.

It was handy to have our hotel right across from the arena and the other places we were visiting... particularly when I went back from one shopping excursion, only to pop back out and see one Doc Emerick on the cell phone! Didn't want to bother him, so I went back to get Sis -- who finally got out of Florida after missing the best game of the tourney (which she would have been at had their been no Frances).

Anyway, he had disappeared, so we darted into a bar for a soda ... and guess who's there? Doc. He was working on a interview with an ex-NHLer who is now 96 years old. And the people he was waiting for at the bar weren't there yet, so he sat at the table next to us and talked to us for about 15 minutes... I asked if he'd be broadcasting for NBC... he said he couldn't say anything official about it yet, but yes. But he won't be leaving the Devils to do so, it'll be 10-12 games. We talked about Athens and what that was like, but he didn't get to do too much sight-seeing. Every time he brought up Clement's name, I think I cringed but tried to hide it. We talked about Paul Martin and Doc was talking about how he has no fear, so he doesn't get tight in the stomach like other rookies might. We talked about the hurricanes. It was pretty nice and we left before his peeps showed up.

On the way to the last game, we met the parents of Scott Clemmensen. They had spotted my Parise jersey and the Rafalski jersey my sis was wearing and asked how big of Devils fans we are. We said VERY BIG. Mom Clemmy asked who the backup goalie is... I made a face, like what kind of question is that and said Clemmy!!! Then they said who they are -- even backing it up with Dad's drivers license. We talked about him re-signing and his best friend on the team (I actually answered my own question by saying Gionta, but then Mom told us about Nieds inviting Clemmy to Thanksgiving dinner when he first came up which was a very cool story.)

On the way back, we ran into them again in the glass elevator. We were bummed about the loss, but I made them (and the others crammed in ... and maybe those outside who could see in?) laugh when I checked my sis into the wall. She proceeded to squash me back of course.

They told us they'd tell Clemmy they ran into some great Devils fans. Couldn't ask for more.

Anyone, it was cool and strange to see our guys on the ice... esp. with some guys we root against regularly with every fiber of our beings.

That is so cool.  Even though the US lost, it sounds like you had a great time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that part we didn't like so well.

The two games the U.S. lost deserved to be lost. Blech.

My sis only got to celebrate one goal once she finally got up to Minny. After five days of 12-hour shifts and sleeping at the police station, I was hoping for better for her, but she enjoyed meeting the Clemmys and Doc.