'Jeopardy's' Jennings sets record

Weekes Head

According to CNN.com:

'Jeopardy's' Jennings sets record

Champ now all-time game show winner

Thursday, November 4, 2004 Posted: 8:49 AM EST (1349 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Quiz-show king Ken Jennings has broken another record on "Jeopardy!"

Jennings won $45,099 on the episode that aired Wednesday, bringing his total earnings to $2,197,000 to make him the top TV game show winner ever.

He beat the previous record of $2,180,000, set by Michigan engineer Kevin Olmstead on ABC's "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" in 2001.

Jennings, a 30-year-old software engineer from Salt Lake City, began his 66-appearances-and-counting streak on the episode that aired June 2. Since then, he has richly profited from a rule change made only last year, at the start of the syndicated game show's 20th season, that removed its five-appearance limit. Now a contestant can continue playing as long as he wins.

On the "Jeopardy!" episode that aired September 15, Jennings broke the record for longest winning streak on any television game show.

Where might it all stop? No one's confirmed it, but TV Week reported in September that Jennings lost after his 75th straight win, amassing a total of about $2.5 million. "Jeopardy!" episodes are taped in advance.

During the streak, Jennings has appeared on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," presented a Top Ten list on "Late Show with David Letterman," and been a "Person of the Week" on ABC's "World News Tonight."

He has defeated 130 challengers and given more than 2,000 correct responses, including Wednesday's Final Jeopardy question, for which the clue was: "This king was the great-grandfather of France's King Louis XV."

Jennings sweetened his day's total take by $7,499 with his reply: "Who is Louis XIV?"

Besting Olmstead's record had been Jennings' goal "for a while," he told host Alex Trebek, adding, "I actually know Dr. Olmstead a little bit, and he's been very supportive."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/04/t...d.ap/index.html

Where might it all stop? No one's confirmed it, but TV Week reported in September that Jennings lost after his 75th straight win, amassing a total of about $2.5 million. "Jeopardy!" episodes are taped in advance.

How did he lose, did he tank out of boredom :P The guy's a frigging machine, man I watched a couple of shows and it's over after the first two and a half categories. This guy does deserve a lot of credit for what he's done but man it is time for someone to beat him :lol:

I bet he loses on some pop culture category. Hell, ask him some questions on hockey, doesn't seem like the 'sporty' type...maybe golf...damnit, the bastard can't know everything! :rant:

I bet he loses on some pop culture category.  Hell, ask him some questions on hockey, doesn't seem like the 'sporty' type...maybe golf...damnit, the bastard can't know everything!  :rant:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That reminds me, a few weeks back there was actually a hockey category! The questions were insanely easy though (and it was DOUBLE Jeopardy!)...I got every single one right. I forget what the questions were now, but it was mostly hockey terminology, aside from a question regarding the great Islanders of the 80's.

i saw him answering college football questions earlier this week.. he knew all but one in the category.. well.. someone rang in on the other so he may have known that too...

he amazes me cause i have yet to see a category that he doesnt knwo an answer it.. he knows everything.

Jeopardy's questions are too easy anyway. You get like $300 for naming "what volcano erupted in Washington in the 80s...yada yada"

I don't know if anyone here watched "Win Ben Stein's Money" but the questions were 5 times as hard you only got like 50$ on some of them. You were lucky to leave with $2000

At PT last night the show was on and there was this one topic that no one even attempted. It was medievel type stuff, even the guy didn't attempt to try to answer any of the questions.

I did find it kind of funny when the woman on the show last night couldn't compete in Final Jeopardy because she had nearly $3,000 in NEGATIVE dollars :P I always thought they should make the contestants OWE that amount if they end up negative :rofl: ...I'm just messing, but it would be funny as hell!

yeah it was about knights.. and they answered the first one and then saved it to the end.. and then didnt answer one of the rest.. and that lady must have been embarassed.. she didnt actually buzz in till double jeopardy i dont think. and then when she did she got 2 correct the whole night.. even sitting on the couch i beat her.. and im horrible at jeopardy.

I did find it kind of funny when the woman on the show last night couldn't compete in Final Jeopardy because she had nearly $3,000 in NEGATIVE dollars :P I always thought they should make the contestants OWE that amount if they end up negative

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: I've always thought that too!

yeah it was about knights.. and they answered the first one and then saved it to the end.. and then didnt answer one of the rest.. and that lady must have been embarassed.. she didnt actually buzz in till double jeopardy i dont think.
Edited by Devils731

yeah it was about knights.. and they answered the first one and then saved it to the end.. and then didnt answer one of the rest.. and that lady must have been embarassed.. she didnt actually buzz in till double jeopardy i dont think.
Edited by langsgirl

Edited by Devils731