NHLPA scoring system revealed

sw61776

Report: NHLPA scoring system revealed

TSN.ca Staff with Star-Tribune Files

11/8/2004

Hockey fans love keeping statistics during the NHL season, but it appears that the NHL Players' Association likes keeping numbers of a different sort.

The Minnesota Star-Tribune has uncovered a computer system called NHLPA SCORE, a program designed for player agents to streamline data, exploit its legal rights and outduel the league and its team in salary negotiations.

The Tribune, with help from an anonymous player agent, was given a detailed tour of the program.

The main feature of the SCORE system is an E-File. According to the Star-Tribune, any agent can click on the E-File go to a home page for each of the players he represents. The home page features nine options, which include Player Profile, Marketplace Cluster and Searches.

Player Profile is a form that each agent must fill out for each of his clients during the season. The paper says the agent must explain his client's free agent status, the player's potential arguments in upcoming contract negotiations, his team's potential arguments; an analysis of his previous contract; his stats; an analysis of his place in the marketplace; and a recommendation of how much the player should make.

The NHLPA would then use this information to group players in a pool known as the Marketplace Cluster. Any qualifying offers made to players by general managers are posted here, as well as any additional club offers. That way, each agent would know where the market stands as he negotiates for his client.

The Searches aspect of the program lets an agent compare his client's statistics to those of comparable players and their salaries.

When a deal is completed for a player between the agent and the team, it becomes available on the SCORE system for any other agent to read.

The paper also added that the program allows the NHLPA to watch its agents. The program allots two full hours of viewing time for an agent, and the agent must ask for more time from the Players' Association when it runs out.

NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly told the paper that the league has used the same sort technology for a decade, but general managers are under no obligation to share information.

"It's an information-sharing network on restricted free agents," Daly told the Star Tribune. "We give tools and ultimately the clubs all act independently." Daly added that the NHL does not "group players on the contract tracking database....posting similar players, we don't do that."

The union is "faster than us," said Minnesota Will assistant GM Tom Lynn. "They're better at it. Teams are competing. They're less likely to share offers."

Daly also told the paper that the NHLPA groups free agents with arbitration rights into "three buckets: guys they want in salary arbitration, guys who are better to negotiate and guys in a third bucket in terms of withholding (services)," meaning the NHLPA chooses who goes to arbitration, who doesn't and who holds out.

Any hint of teams sharing such information could spark accusations of collusion, but not in the legal sense.

"A league management can exchange information about players," Minneapolis attorney Clark Griffith told the Star-Tribune. "It doesn't rise to the level of a crime until two or more teams agree" to act together to not sign someone or to price set.

Nevertheless, it did not stop the Players' Association from filing a grievance six years ago saying that the NHL could not share data and offers.

"We had one hearing before an arbitrator," Daly explained to the paper. "They couldn't articulate how it violated the CBA. They essentially withdrew the grievance. It went away."

NHLPA Exceutive Director Bob Goodenow was refused an interview request with the Star-Tribune, and public relations chief Jonathan Weatherdon accused the newspaper of "hacking" into the union's system.

Files from the Minnesota Star-Tribune were used for this report.

This just shows that it is very difficult for GM's to control salaries. No wonder the players like things just the way they are. Lock 'em out. Throw away the key. The longer this drags on the easier it gets. I have my Rats game in a couple of weeks. I have a feeling when the NHL returns with its "replacements" it won't look all that different. When they reopen, they will come. Those that really want to play more than they wants piles of money that is and I think that is the majority.

it sucks because it makes it all the easier for the agents hold the players hostage. I'm sure every player with an agent must know about this system. I'm sure they fill out and sign off on their player profile -- they just probably never gave it much thought. This is how Rheaume gets stuck on the Rangers.

it's nothing like collusion....except that it's collusion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that may be the most perfect choice of words for it that I've heard... it's ok for the PA to fix prices but if the owners do the same it's illegal ?? :noclue:

and they wonder why the league is falling to pieces :P

this is gonna be a LONG lockout

As to collusion -- this is a very unorthodox situation. I dont want anyone to touch this with a 10ft poll. In court your setting a precident that can be used to the Corporate advantage so easily. This shows how this Union can inflict so much harm on the blue collar working man with this stupid "taking a stand to continue to take advantage of the owners" crap and sayign we're all just jealous they found a way to pout the screws to the man. They dont see they are going to find a way to grant business owners loopholes by which to hang working stiffs who haven't even approached any negotiating advantage. And I also don't get what the union stands to gain in busting the league :noclue:

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww whatever. I just want to spend a nice cozy afternoon in bed with Scott Stevens. with a nose hair trimmer because langs girl wrote something that made me think maybe he's got a nose hair problem -- can anyone confirm this? I like my husband's nose hair! It keeps the hot little undergrads at bay! :evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn