8.9 Earthquake rocks Southeastern Asia

NJayDevil

According to BBC News:

Tribe shoots arrows at aid flight

By Jonathan Charles

BBC News, Andaman Islands

The island group is home to a number of tribal peoples

An Indian helicopter dropping food and water over the remote Andaman and Nicobar Islands has been attacked by tribesmen using bows and arrows.

There were fears that the endangered tribal groups had been wiped out when massive waves struck their islands.

But the authorities say the attack is a sign that they have survived.

More than 6,000 people there are confirmed as either dead or missing, but thousands of others are still unaccounted for.

The Indian coastguard helicopter was flying low over Sentinel Island to drop aid when it came under attack.

A senior police officer said the crew were not hurt and the authorities are taking it as a sign that the tribes have not been wiped out by the earthquake and sea surges as many had feared.

The Andaman and Nicobar archipelago is home to several tribes, some extremely isolated.

Officials believe they survived the devastation by using age-old early warning systems.

They might have run to high ground for safety after noticing changes in the behaviour of birds and marine wildlife.

Scientists are examining the possibility to see whether it can be used to predict earth tremors in future.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4144405.stm

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just saw the top 3 donating countries... impressive numbers.. im glad to hear all are helping out

810 million - Australia

675 Million - Germany

500 Million - Japan

oh and i sorta had to chuckle.. although its very kind.. that they are talking about Bush writing personal checks totalling 10K to differnet funds

when people like sandra bullock and Leo and many other famous people have donated 100k-5 million a piece...

im not knocking him for doing it..just seems like a funny story to run right after saying sandra bullock donated a mill.

For those interested, Taking Back Sunday is playing a benefit show for the tsunami victims. The show will be held in New York City in the near future, the date and actual venue along with other bands performing will be announced shortly. I think I might attend this myself, it's for a great cause.

The government of Canada employees are having fundraising drives and CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) has agreed to match everything that we donate. However, the money will all go to UNICEF... I'd rather be able to choose who I give to (thus far I've given to OXFAM and Red Cross).

Read an article in the newspaper today saying basically what I said last week... how is it that we can find this money for the tsunami victims, but we can't find a fraction of this money to help the 200,000,000 children that are starving to death. And even I am guilty of this - while I have two foster children and regularly donate to OXFAM, I've donated $100 thus far ($104 including my federal government contribution) to the tsunami victims which is more than I gave to OXFAM all last year. It's sorta the "in" thing at the moment.

The newspaper columnist went on to say that such thinking is self-defeating. If you start condemning generosity and asking "why were you generous this time and not here, there... everywhere...?" people won't give anything anywhere.

I dunno. I'm confudled.

Edited by Don

Read an article in the newspaper today saying basically what I said last week... how is it that we can find this money for the tsunami victims, but we can't find a fraction of this money to help the 200,000,000 children that are starving to death. And even I am guilty of this - while I have two foster children and regularly donate to OXFAM, I've donated $100 thus far ($104 including my federal government contribution) to the tsunami victims which is more than I gave to OXFAM all last year. It's sorta the "in" thing at the moment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We actually had a discussion about this today in my law and society class. My teacher agrees that most people are donating to the tsunami victims because it's just what everyone else seems to be doing. Someone brought up the point that you don't hear about the starving children in the media, so people don't really know how to help, or just don't even know anything about them. Then suddenly, we have this huge tsunami caused by the largest earthquake in 40 years, so it's on the news constantly and everyone finds out about it.

We actually had a discussion about this today in my law and society class.  My teacher agrees that most people are donating to the tsunami victims because it's just what everyone else seems to be doing.  Someone brought up the point that you don't hear about the starving children in the media, so people don't really know how to help, or just don't even know anything about them.  Then suddenly, we have this huge tsunami caused by the largest earthquake in 40 years, so it's on the news constantly and everyone finds out about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The second part of that is very true...people that die from measles and such are just another statistic to most people but when there's a sudden, unexpected tragedy that's newsworthy and in front of everyone's face well it seems more important. Just like the Laci case seemed more important even though tens of thousands of murders and domestic abuse happen every year, but that one was the one that got reported :P Or AIDS wasn't all that important to most people till Magic Johnson got it.

For those interested, Taking Back Sunday is playing a benefit show for the tsunami victims. The show will be held in New York City in the near future, the date and actual venue along with other bands performing will be announced shortly. I think I might attend this myself, it's for a great cause.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More information:

Wednesday, Jan. 12th

Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance, Coheed and Cambria, Senses Fail +More

Starland Ballroom, Sayreville New Jersey

Doors 6pm

Sunday, Jan. 16th

Midtown, The Starting Line, The Early November, Underoath, The Youth Ahead +More

Starland Ballroom, Sayreville New Jersey

Doors 2pm

Tickets on sale January 7th at 3pm

Tickets: $25

Limited edition t-shirts and posters will also be on sale at each show, proceeds from shirts and ticket sales will benefit the tsunami victims.

The government of Canada employees are having fundraising drives and CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) has agreed to match everything that we donate. However, the money will all go to UNICEF... I'd rather be able to choose who I give to (thus far I've given to OXFAM and Red Cross).

The newspaper columnist went on to say that such thinking is self-defeating. If you start condemning generosity and asking "why were you generous this time and not here, there... everywhere...?" people won't give anything anywhere.

I dunno. I'm confudled.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Plenty of people donate plenty of money to other causes - not enough, it's never enough, of course - but it's just that it's done quietly and not in the news. Big things like this and 9/11 cause *everyone* to think about the world around them. I know a lot of people who "adopt" kids from Africa & South America and support them. I know a lot of people who make donations to orphanages, etc. through their church organizations. I try to support our local needs, as I feel that's the place to start, and we make lots of contributions - money, clothing, food, etc - every year. The last time I donated to a "big" cause was 9/11. And now this one.

So yes, we shouldn't wait until huge disasters like this, but my point is that many, many people don't wait. The media just doesn't usually cover the religious organizations that a lot of people use, and their $ figures aren't brought into the equation a lot of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadnt been listening to much on this anymore.. the last time i had heard anything it was like 160,000 dead... and then just now the news said 226,000.

that was a big quick jump :( I figured it would slow down after the first 2 weeks