8.9 Earthquake rocks Southeastern Asia

NJayDevil

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've really been weighing my options in terms of making journalism my career or not. It seems that my love for writing may just not be enough anymore. I can't go into something that I question, it'll always haunt me in some way or form for the rest of my life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not attempt to be a successful ETHICAL journalist? Very sad that's such a novel concept in this day and age. :( Anyhow the field need MORE people like you!

Unfortunately, this is true. It's always a huge con that has me NOT wanting to go into the journalism field. It's a huge problem for me, ethics wise. In fact, within the past few months, I've really been weighing my options in terms of making journalism my career or not. It seems that my love for writing may just not be enough anymore. I can't go into something that I question, it'll always haunt me in some way or form for the rest of my life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are still, even in this day and age, mainstream writers that are well-respected and accomplished writers at the same time. It's not impossible to be both, although I understand it's getting harder these days because everyone and their grandmother wants sensationalized news. Like PK said, just be concerned with who you are as a writer, and not of everyone else's stereotypes of the profession.

I understand though having your own personal reservations for going into a field that's becoming increasingly dirty. You could always get into writing that isn't terribly mainstream like local news or maybe other types of writing altogether like novels, short stories, children's books, whatever. It would combine something you love and leave out the pressure of having to sensationalize the news.

here is some links with pictures and video

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE DEAD BODIES OR ANY VIDEO BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY SH*T ABOUT THIS SITE BECAUSE I DIDN'T MAKE YOU CLICK ON THE LINK:

http://forum.ogrish.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47366

http://www.ogrish.com/

Edited by Satans Child

Now the total is 114,000...to put it in perspective for us to all consider...for those of you who know Edison, NJ (faily big area), the population as of the last census is 100,138, imagine everyone there dead and themsome.....very disturbing

Another site with videos of the waves coming in...

http://jlgolson.blogspot.com/2004/12/tsunami-video.html

It's such a shame there were no warnings cause in these videos you can obviously see people going toward the beaches to see what the heck is going on. Then once it just rushed in, and I mean it CAME in, it was too late for most of them.

Now the total is 114,000...to put it in perspective for us to all consider...for those of you who know Edison, NJ (faily big area), the population as of the last census is 100,138, imagine everyone there dead and themsome.....very disturbing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah good point.

If you want to get a better idea for towns down here near the shore. Everyone from Seaside Park to Pt. Pleasant and Toms River (which is about 87,000 alone) would have been wiped out so far. Yikes...

Just imagining all the water rushing into this area freaks the crap out of me. The island island from Seaside to Pt. Pleasant would be absolutely ruined and probably completely underwater for a long time.

Oh man...

I hate that we keep posting articles from Drudge Report, but I think I need to post this one:

Indonesia Needs Help, Death Toll Expected To Exceed 400,000

Thu Dec 30 2004 12:52:01 ET

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 30 (Bernama) -- The death toll in Acheh, the region worst hit by last Sunday's tsunami, may exceed 400,000 as many affected areas could still not be reached for search and rescue operations, Indonesia's Ambassador to Malaysia Drs H. Rusdihardjo said Thursday.

He said the estimate was based on air surveillance by Indonesian authorities who found no signs of life in places like Meulaboh, Pulau Simeulue and Tapak Tuan while several islands off the west coast of Sumatera had "disappeared".

He said the latest death toll of more than 40,000 in Acheh and northern Sumatera did not take into account the figures from the other areas, especially in the west of the region.

"Aerial surveillance found the town of Meulaboh completely destroyed with only one buiding standing. The building, which belonged to the military, happens to be on a hill," he told reporters after receiving RM1 million in aid for Indonesia's Tsunami Disaster Relief Fund here Thursday.

Rusdihardjo said there were about 150,000 residents in Meulaboh, which was located 150km from the epicentre of the earthquake while Pulau Simeuleu had a population of 76,000.

The contributions were from several corporate giants.

Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB), represented by Chairman Tan Sri Ahmad Sarji Abdul Hamid, gave RM200,000; Guthrie, represented by Chief Executive Officer Datuk Abdul Wahab Maskan, gave RM200,000; Golden Hope Plantations Berhad, represented by Group Director for Corporate, Legal and Public Affairs Norlin Abdul Samad, gave RM200,000; Maybank, represented by Head of Public Affairs Wan Norhiyati Ibrahim, gave RM200,000 and Sime Darby Group's Motor Division, represented by Director Yip Jon Khiam, also gave RM200,000.

Ahmad Sarji also handed over a PNB contribution to Utusan's Tsunami Disaster Relief Fund, which was received by Utusan Melayu (Malaysia) Executive Chairman Tan Sri Hashim Makarudin to help Malaysian tsunami victims.

Ambassador Rusdihardjo said a combination of earthquake and tsunami had left 80 to 100 per cent of infrastructure in Acheh province, such as hospitals, health centres, transport and communication networks and homes, destroyed.

"Looking at the scale of destruction, it's difficult to say when the search and rescue operations can be mounted in all affected areas," he said.

He said rescue efforts were hampered by transportation difficulties and lack of fuel.

Rusdihardjo said that at this time international help, especially in the form of medicines, clean water, food and clothing, were desperately needed by Indonesia to aid survivors in Acheh.

"Now we are worried about the outbreak of diseases such as cholera, the work of disposing corpses and the absence of clean water following the contamination of water sources," he said.

It would take years before the situation returned to normal, he said, adding that the Indonesian government was not able to estimate losses caused by the tragedy as yet.

He expressed his gratitude to Malaysia's help although the country itself was hit with 66 lives lost so far and property to the tune of millions of ringgit destroyed.

"We are deeply touched," he said.

Rusdihardjo said Indonesia was also seeking Malaysia's cooperation to mount search and rescue operations from its shores because of the close proximity of the two countries.

-- BERNAMA

Developing...

http://drudgereport.com/flash5.htm

Oh god let that be completely wrong.

How many Americans are missing/dead? Watched the news but there was none on this. Britain has lost 50 confirmed with hundreds still missing. The Scandanavian countries have thousands missing still.

And to think that my friends were in Thailand a few weeks ago, backpacking. Thank God they got to NZ when they did.

How many Americans are missing/dead? Watched the news but there was none on this. Britain has lost 50 confirmed with hundreds still missing. The Scandanavian countries have thousands missing still.

And to think that my friends were in Thailand a few weeks ago, backpacking. Thank God they got to NZ when they did.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The last I heard it was 12, with hundreds feared missing. Not sure what the latest totals are though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The last I heard it was 12, with hundreds feared missing. Not sure what the latest totals are though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I know those are the latest numbers for Americans. I haven't seen any updates.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There were about 20.000 Swedes in the area when the disaster struck. thousands are still missing.

There were about 20.000 Swedes in the area when the disaster struck. thousands are still missing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is a much more popular tourist destination for Scandinavians than it is for North Americans. I think we tend to go to the Caribbean this time of year for a tropical vacation. It's closer, it is past hurricane season and our time off just isn't that long so the trip makes more sense. But nobody would ever have expected THIS.

In 2 hours 40,000 people came back to life?

As I put in another thread, 200,000 people is a fraction of how many third-world children die of measles each year. I'm confused why so many people are distraught by a tsunami, but care little about other needless, completely avoidable deaths.

And RD says that I'm callous.

But to that point, Canada is actually INCREASING it's immigration and has called people back to work from their holidays to process people to allow survivors to come into the country to be with their families. I think we will see a huge surge of immigration and refugee claims from the affected areas... these places were suffering from extreme poverty before - why rebuild to continue suffering. So many survivors just want to move on.