Nash nets three as Canada downs Latvia

Rock

Nash nets three as Canada downs Latvia

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_story.asp?id=123381

Canadian Press

4/30/2005

INNSBRUCK, Austria (CP) - Rick Nash scored three goals and Canada's power play was perfect in a nervy 6-4 victory over Latvia on Saturday to open the world hockey championship.

Brendan Morrison, Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau also scored as two-time defending champion Canada went 4-for-4 with the man advantage.

Aleksandrs Semjonovs, Girts Ankipans, Janis Sprunkts and Karlis Skrastins replied for Latvia, which had a huge throng of maroon and white-clad fans among the near-capacity crowd at the 7,140-seat Olympiahalle.

The chanting and drum-beating reached a fever pitch in the third period as Latvia, down 5-2, got a power-play goal from Sprunkts at 6:16 before Skrastins blasted a shot past Martin Brodeur at 9:00 to close the gap to one goal.

But Nash banged in Thornton's pass from behind the net at 14:17 to complete the hat-trick and secure the win.

Canada outshot Latvia 46-25 and chased starting goaltender Edgars Masalskis at 17:14 of the middle period after Nash's second goal. Arturs Irbe took over in goal.

The hard-working Latvians kept pace with Canada early by playing a tight defensive game, stringing four men across their blue-line to stop Canadian rushes.

And they took advantage of defensive lapses after Canada's first two goals to tie the game twice.

Morrison opened the scoring 2:55 into the game on a power play when he moved in from the left point and beat Masalskis to the top corner with a slapshot.

Only 34 seconds later, a turnover in Canada's zone let Aleksandrs Nizivijs slide a pass across the crease for Semjonovs to bang into an open side.

Nash caused the turnover that let Simon Gagne set up Thornton for a power play goal 7:49 into the second frame.

But Canada was caught napping again as Arkipans finished a three-way passing play with a shot on which Brodeur appeared to make a spectacular glove save at 10:55. A video review found that Brodeur's glove was inside the net when he made the save and the goal was counted.

Nash converted a sweet diagonal pass from Ed Jovanovski on a power play at 14:00 and Marleau banked one in from the side of the net with the man advantage at 15:32.

After Nash took a two-line pass and crashed the net with the puck to score at 16:50, Masalskis came out and Irbe went in. Canada opened last year's world championship with a 2-2 draw with lowly Austria, but went on to win.

Stupid game. I got called in to work around noon when it was 5-4. I told the fellow who called me that I thanked him for pulling me away from that embarassment.

Even though the first goalie let in 4 goals and then Arturs played REALLY well during the second half of the game to keep things from getting out of hand.... Canada's defence SUCKED MAJOR ASS. Redden was always out of position. Phillips looked like he was picked 600th overall, not 1st. And Brodeur let in 4 goals on just 25 shots. That's PATHETIC. Horrible, horrible, horrible. AGAINST LATVIA. This wasn't a powerhouse team.

:rant:

i usually root for the team with the most devils(canada usually) but thiis time its USA all the way baby. marty doesnt need to prive hes the best anymore, i hope USA once again proves that altho its canadas gm, that the US can still be the best in it(besides the fact that its not near the no 1 sport in our country.)