Man pays in pennies; judge gets even

Devils731

http://www.washtimes.com/upi/20050802-070333-6707r.htm

A man who tried to get even by paying a traffic ticket with $120 in pennies got upstaged by a North Dakota judge who made him stay until they were counted.

Robert John Zukowski brought a garbage can full of about 12,000 pennies to Clay County District Court to pay his fine for speeding, the Fargo Forum reported. Court Administrator Jan Crossette lugged the bucket of change to a bank, which used a machine to count the money and gave her $120 in bills.

Zukowski got a few pennies back in overpayment.

Judge John Pearson told the newspaper he thought Zukowski's anger was misdirected.

"If the person is mad at the cop, why take it out on court administration?" Pearson asked. "They're punishing the wrong people."

I had this happen to me when i was at pathmark..in a much smaller denomination though...

i believe the bill was about 50 bucks and the lady gave me a roll of quarters, 2 dimes, 2 nickels anded a lot of pennies.. but i had to open and count them cause i didnt know if she might have shorted me...

pissed me off.

Right, so the guy should take out his anger on the cop? He's taking it out on the system!

If the judge really wanted to get even he'd have had the guy wait until they were counted by hand. Then again the guy probably wouldn't have minded as it would have taken up the courts time too.

I had this happen to me when i was at pathmark..in a much smaller denomination though...

i believe the bill was about 50 bucks and the lady gave me a roll of quarters, 2 dimes, 2 nickels anded a lot of pennies.. but i had to open and count them cause i didnt know if she might have shorted me...

pissed me off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you guys coordinate your posts?

Anyways you can get a measuring tool to see if they have the right amount in a roll.

well sammy.. i was at work.. i wasnt gonna go buy the measuring tool lol.

our job had one in customer service booth.. but the booth was only opened till 10 at night and this was on my overnight. so there was no one with a key to get in it

I thought it was illegal to pay over like a dollar or so in pennies ?? Maybe that's just a New York thing.. I remember a story about this years ago when the Power Company on Long Island upped the power rates, and a group of customers protested by paying their bills in pennies and they passed a law against it... maybe it's just an NY thing :noclue:

I thought it was illegal to pay over like a dollar or so in pennies ?? Maybe that's just a New York thing.. I remember a story about this years ago when the Power Company on Long Island upped the power rates, and a group of customers protested by paying their bills in pennies and they passed a law against it... maybe it's just an NY thing  :noclue:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I know, pennies are legal tender and must be accepted.

And for the the guy who sent back his junk mail, good for him and no way should he have been charged with harassment.

If it was illegal 8 years ago.. i certainly didnt know and since it was the overnight shift at most there was one other cashier there with me till 1:30am, chances are they didnt know either.

I worked with a lady a few years back who told me a funny story...

she had gotten a bill from the phone company and by accident when she wrote one of her checks she shorted them 6 cents. They didnt ever show it as a remaining balance.. so she never knew about it for 5 months. She moved from PA to NJ and had to cancel her phone and after paying off the balance she received forwarded mail from PA that was a bill for 6 cents.

They were frustrated that they had already closed the account and paid in full and then this random 6 cents shows up from months earlier. They ignored it, just because they felt it was ridiculous... and they received 3 other letters about it. She said she thought it was so crazy they were wasting all the paper and stamp on 6 cents, when it should have showed up on her bill the next month and she would have paid it..not 6 months later after the account is closed.

Well, she got a final notice with a warning about collecitons or something, and so her husband wrote a check...for 7 cents to them so that they would have to issue a refund check for 1 penny.

obnoxious.. but sorta funny.

Heh, good story.

BTW Liz, just because something is legal tender doesn't mean it has to be accepted. This is why you can hang a sign that says something like "No bills over $20". No business is required to make a sale to you so they can say how they want to accept payment.

I frequently send back the business reply envelopes the credit cards send with the "credit approved" letters. I just send them back empty. Its the credit cards 30cents. I figure they ought to go through some trouble- I have to shred the damned letters so some id thief doesn't get any info on me.

I frequently send back the business reply envelopes  the credit cards send with the "credit approved" letters. I just send them back empty. Its the credit cards 30cents. I figure they ought to go through some trouble- I have to shred the damned letters so some id thief doesn't get any info on me.

Haha, you made my night with that one Point. Some days I could cost Capitol one $1.20 with the amount they send me.

I think there is a law saying that the person owed can legally refuse payment in pennies for amounts over 25c. I think I read it in a stupid facts book years ago. So, by that reasoning, not illegal to do it, but you may be carrying those pennies round-trip.

-Dan