Devils' power plague

msweet

LINK

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

By TOM GULITTI

STAFF WRITER

WEST ORANGE - The Devils' need for a point man to help their dreadful power play has become so desperate that even the usually tight-lipped Lou Lamoriello admitted Tuesday that he probably has to make a trade.

Lamoriello, the Devils' general manager and interim head coach, initially said, "I think the personnel for the power play is here."

In the next breath, however, he conceded otherwise.

"We're relying on two people quite a bit at the point and we have to maybe do something about that," he said.

With the NHL's holiday roster freeze expiring at midnight Tuesday, Lamoriello is free to seek help outside the organization. In preparing Tuesday for tonight's game against Washington, however, he explored a new in-house option, using left wing Patrik Elias at the right point in practice.

Elias is getting close to completing his long road back from hepatitis A, but won't be in uniform tonight.

"Let's put it this way," Lamoriello said, "he's as close as he's ever been."

Elias didn't sound as optimistic.

"I'm not going to be much of a help if I don't feel good enough out there," he said. "When I feel comfortable enough that I feel that I can help the team out, I'll be out there."

Elias didn't look out of place at the point. With their power-play ineptitude reaching an unthinkable 4-for-103 with a 0-for-6 effort in Monday's 2-1 defeat in Toronto, the Devils had little choice but to dedicate their entire practice to it - again.

Lamoriello repeatedly stressed getting shots through from the point and having players stationed in front of the net - and not just to the side of it. Being more active on-ice than in any of his previous practices as coach, he stopped action at least four times to correct positioning or stress the importance of getting the open point shot.

When defenseman Vladimir Malakhov left the team last week, Brian Rafalski and Paul Martin were left to carry much of the load at the point. Right wing Alexander Mogilny played the right point during five-on-threes against the Rangers on Dec. 20, but otherwise the Devils have stayed away from using a forward back there since Jason Arnott and Petr Sykora.

Elias doesn't have as hard a shot as Arnott, but his playmaking skill could help because it appears defenses are taking away the plays down low and daring the Devils' point men to beat them.

"I'm not taking anything out of this," Elias said. "I'm just looking at it as I got a little bit of practice at it. That's all."

If not Elias, then who else? Even with Elias about to return, Lamoriello has some wiggle room under the salary cap with Malakhov's $3.6 million no longer counting and Dan McGillis and his $2.2 million eligible to be sent down to the minors after clearing waivers Dec. 17. He would have to give up some salary, though, to swing a deal for Chicago's Adrian Aucion, who's in the first year of a four-year, $16 million deal, or former Ranger Brian Leetch, who has a one-year, $4 million contract with Boston.

Bringing back Sykora also might be an option, with Anaheim trying to dump his $3.1 million salary.

Lamoriello didn't get into names. Even acknowledging the possibility of the trade was big for him.

"Maybe we have to look into that," he said. "We'll see when Patrik comes back if that's something that can be solved."

BRIEFS: Toronto's Darcy Tucker received only a $2,500 fine and no suspension from the NHL Tuesday for the match penalty he received during his fight with Cam Janssen on Monday. Tucker was assessed the match penalty, which requires an automatic league review, for taking off Janssen's helmet and hitting him in the head with it. ... Martin Brodeur will be in net again tonight, but backup Scott Clemmensen is expected to make his first start since Dec. 6 on Thursday in Pittsburgh.

E-mail: gulitti@northjersey.com

"Elias doesn't have as hard a shot as Arnott, but his playmaking skill could help because it appears defenses are taking away the plays down low and daring the Devils' point men to beat them."

The other team shave got the Devil's number.... no hard point shot... and they don;t fear us.

I'm not sure why Brown and White can't unload more... both of them have hard shots.

The problem is that no one one-times pucks. They stop the puck, look up for an opening, look back down and take a shot (IF they actually do shoot). This team needs a full day of one-timer practice. I counted a few games ago and there were around 20 flubbed or completely missed one-timers. Honestly, I lost count over 15. And the majority of them were on the PP. One day of one timer practice and then they can say who can pass and who can shoot and line up a good PP.

Another thing I've been thinking about is just laying it up for a point shot. Over and over and over again. Let the lead defender get pelted a few times and he'll start to back off a bit. If only we had someone that could rifle the puck... What's Malakhov doing now...

-Dan

The problem is that no one one-times pucks.  They stop the puck, look up for an opening, look back down and take a shot (IF they actually do shoot).  This team needs a full day of one-timer practice.  I counted a few games ago and there were around 20 flubbed or completely missed one-timers.  Honestly, I lost count over 15.  And the majority of them were on the PP.  One day of one timer practice and then they can say who can pass and who can shoot and line up a good PP.

Another thing I've been thinking about is just laying it up for a point shot.  Over and over and over again.  Let the lead defender get pelted a few times and he'll start to back off a bit.  If only we had someone that could rifle the puck...  What's Malakhov doing now...

-Dan

This is a 10 year old problem.... paging Brett Hull