Islander Retires After Neck Injury

Rock

Islander Retires After Neck Injury

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/25/sports/h...r=1&oref=slogin

By BLOOMBERG NEWS

Published: February 25, 2006

New York Islanders center Jason Colley said yesterday that his playing career was over because of a broken neck sustained during a Jan. 31 game, his 16th in the N.H.L.

Colley visited the team's practice rink in Syosset, N.Y., yesterday and said he was "blessed that I am able to walk."

Colley, 27, had four hours of surgery on Feb. 2, two days after fracturing his fifth cervical vertebrae when he crashed head-first into the boards during a game against Washington. Doctors stabilized his spine from the back in another procedure on Feb. 7 and removed the halo brace he was wearing.

"When you consider that Kevin gave everything he had every time he stepped on the ice, it's especially sad," Mike Milbury, the Islanders' general manager, said in a statement. "The good news is that Kevin is going to lead a healthy and productive life."

Colley had no points and 52 penalty minutes in 16 games this season, his first in the N.H.L. after six years with 11 minor league teams.

IT'S KEVIN COLLEY jesus christ how do they say Jason Colley than later have a quote saying Kevin gave everything. I saw Kevin led the Bullies to the Kelly Cup Championship back in 03 and I was so happy to see him playing well with the Islanders, too bad this happened to him but at least he can walk cause I didn't think he would even be able to get up after taking that hit.

OMG, I was watching the game where this happened and when it did I just KNEW it was bad.. that really sucks for him.. at least he's ok though

Oh yeah. I thought the same thing about it when it happened. It's ashame for the guy. :(

He went for a hit and missed and was in a fragile position. What's still amazing to me is he skated off on his own power. Wow.

I saw Kevin led the Bullies to the Kelly Cup Championship back in 03 and I was so happy to see him playing well with the Islanders, too bad this happened to him but at least he can walk cause I didn't think he would even be able to get up after taking that hit.

I recall that, too. I think KC (wore #9) was the MVP of the Bullies for the 2003 Kelly Cup Playoffs. He was my son's favorite ACBB.

Edited by hattrick