UFAs of this season

Devil Fan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=160531&hubname=nhl

Canadian Press

3/29/2006 5:46:52 PM

The NHL playoffs may feel like the calm before the storm this year as likely the biggest crop ever of unrestricted free agents hits the market in July.

GMs and agents will be running up phone bills like never before.

Liberalized free agency in the new CBA saw the age drop from 31 to 29 for unrestricted free agents this summer. It drops even lower to 28 in July 2007 and finally 27, where it will stay, in July 2008.

''I think with this CBA, we're all going to work hard at keeping our core, but there's going to be a lot of movement,'' Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland said Wednesday.

Related Info

Huet to decide on future after the season

Holland points to the NFL, another salary cap league, where it's in the off-season that teams reshape their rosters.

''One of the best things you can have in this system is flexibility,'' added Holland. ''If things don't work out for you in one year, you'd like to be able to have contracts expire and be ready to make some changes.''

The exact number of free agents won't be known until July 1 depending on how many players don't have their option years picked up or how many more re-sign instead of testing the waters.

But as of right now, it's an impressive group, led up front by the likes of Joe Sakic, Doug Weight, Patrik Elias, Jason Arnott, Brendan Shanahan, Teemu Selanne, Sergei Samsonov, Mark Parrish, Anson Carter, Michael Peca, Peter Bondra, Marc Savard, Viktor Kozlov, Eric Lindros, Jason Allison, Jeff Halpern, Alyn McCauley and the Rangers' Czech trio of Martin Straka, Petr Sykora and Martin Rucinsky. And that's just the tip of the iceberg among the forwards.

An all-star group of blue-liners is slated for unrestricted free agency as of now, led by Nicklas Lidstrom, Zdeno Chara, Wade Redden, Rob Blake, Ed Jovanovski, Marek Zidlicky and Bryan McCabe, followed by a solid group behind them of Jay McKee, Willie Mitchell, Pavel Kubina, Ruslan Salei, Teppo Numminen, Frantisek Kaberle, Jaroslav Spacek, Hal Gill, Joe Corvo, Filip Kuba, Francis Bouillon, Danny Markov, Brian Pothier, Kim Johnsson, Brendan Witt and Nolan Baumgartner.

Need a goalie? Look no further than Martin Gerber, Cristobal Huet, Dominik Hasek (if he doesn't retire), Dwayne Roloson, John Grahame, Manny Legace, Curtis Joseph and Chris Osgood.

The question is how many of these players will reach July 1 without re-signing?

''If I've seen a trend, teams have been much more pro-active to try to negotiate so that it doesn't become an issue in July - more than I've seen in the past,'' said veteran agent Don Meehan, whose firm Newport Sports represents more than 100 NHLers.

Meehan has already removed some of his big names from the potential market. San Jose goalie Evgeni Nabokov and Los Angeles star defenceman Mattias Norstrom re-signed big deals earlier this season instead of choosing free agency this summer.

They weren't the only ones. Martin Brodeur, Marty Turco, Olaf Kolzig, Saku Koivu, P.J. Axelsson, Shawn Bates, Olli Jokinen, Phillipe Boucher, Chris Gratton, Manny Fernandez, Denis Gauthier, Derek Morris, Vesa Toskala, Mikael Samuelsson and Tomas Kaberle are among those who also re-signed this season and avoided unrestricted free agency.

Meehan and Holland have already met concerning Lidstrom, the three-time Norris Trophy winner en route to a fourth thanks to a sensational season.

''Don and I talked briefly, we have not exchanged numbers, and I'm not sure if we'll address it now before the playoffs or wait until the conclusion of the playoffs,'' said Holland. ''Nick's been here since 1991 and I'd like to think that he wants to be back here. We've had a great relationship and I don't think we've had any real issues in getting contracts done in the past.

''In my mind Nick is the best defenceman in the game and I think he should win the Norris Trophy this year. So we want to keep him.''

Both of Holland's goalies, Legace and Osgood, will be unrestricted as well.

''Both have played well for us,'' said Holland. ''Right now my feeling is that I'll make a pitch to try and re-sign them. I'm not going to bother them going into the playoffs, but at the conclusion of the playoffs, we'll sit down and talk.''

Look for Redden to re-sign with the Senators before July 1, as well as Sakic with the Avalanche and Huet with the Canadiens. And there will be others as well.

June may be a busy month for that reason, as clubs try to re-sign potential unrestricted free agents before they hit the market. Holland has a dozen or so in total.

''Obviously we had a really good year and a lot of them we want back,'' he said. ''But at the same time I don't know if we'll be able to afford everybody because there may be a better market place out there for some of them.''

And that's the exciting part for players, who for years had to wait until they were 31 to try it out the market.

''It's one of the favourable parts of the CBA for the players,'' said Meehan. ''It will generate more movement and generate more options.''

There are also names on the free-agent list that maybe people have forgotten. Defenceman Kenny Jonsson played in Sweden this season while his rights were owned by the Islanders but he'll be unrestricted July 1. Talented forward Alexander Morozov played in his native Russia and he, too, will be unrestricted this summer after deciding not to play for Pittsburgh this year.

Note: Players of any age with eight accrued seasons under their belt can also qualify for unrestricted free agency this summer. That means anyone who was 18 when they started their NHL career and whose contract runs out this summer is an unrestricted free agent at 26 years old. Accrued seasons, generally, mean seasons of 40 or more games. The lockout season counts as an accrued season. In 2007 and beyond the criteria drops to seven accrued seasons meaning players as young as 25 will be eligible for unrestricted status if they started at 18.

The top names who remain slated for unrestricted free agency as of Wednesday:

FORWARDS

First star:

Joe Sakic, Colorado

Doug Weight, Carolina

Patrik Elias, New Jersey

Jason Arnott, Dallas

Sergei Samsonov, Edmonton

Brendan Shananan, Detroit

Teemu Selanne, Anaheim

Second star:

Anson Carter, Vancouver

Petr Sykora, N.Y. Rangers

Martin Rucinsky, N.Y. Rangers

Martin Straka, N.Y. Rangers

Mark Parrish, Los Angeles

Viktor Kozlov, New Jersey

Jamie Langenbrunner, New Jersey

Eric Lindros, Toronto

Jason Allison, Toronto

Alyn McCauley, San Jose

Matt Cullen, Carolina

Peter Bondra, Atlanta

Alexei Morozov, Pittsburgh

Third star:

Jeremy Roenick, Los Angeles

Michael Peca, Edmonton

Jeff Friesen, Anaheim

Steve Rucchin, N.Y. Rangers

Radek Dvorak, Edmonton

Stephane Yelle, Calgary

Mike Grier, Buffalo

Jeff Halpern, Washington

Dallas Drake, St. Louis

Jan Hrdina, Columbus

Mike Sillinger, Nashville

Luc Robitaille, Los Angeles

Greg Johnson, Nashville

Dean McAmmond, St. Louis

Scott Mellanby, Atlanta

Scott Young, St. Louis

Marc Chouinard, Minnesota

Yanic Perreault, Nashville

Geoff Sanderson, Phoenix

David Vyborny, Columbus

Chad Kilger, Toronto

Mike Leclerc, Calgary

Eric Daze, Chicago

Fernando Pisani, Edmonton

Jan Bulis, Montreal

Oleg Kvasha, N.Y. Islanders

Petr Cajanek, St. Louis

Fourth-liners:

Donald Brashear, Philadelphia

Vaclav Varada, Ottawa

Brad Isbister, Boston

Georges Laraques, Edmonton

Marty Reasoner, Boston

Dan Hinote, Colorado

Shean Donovan, Calgary

Jarkko Ruutu, Vancouver

Niklas Sundstrom, Montreal

Eric Boulton, Atlanta

Ronald Petrovicky, Atlanta

Richard Park, Vancouver

Manny Malhora, Columbus

DEFENCE

First star:

Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit

Rob Blake, Colorado

Zdeno Chara, Ottawa

Wade Redden, Ottawa

Marek Zidlicky, Nashville

Ed Jovanovski, Vancouver

Bryan McCabe, Toronto

Second star:

Willie Mitchell, Dallas

Pavel Kubina, Tampa Bay

Jaroslav Spacek, Edmonton

Joe Corvo, Los Angeles

Danny Markov, Nashville

Brian Pothier, Ottawa

Kim Johnsson, Philadelphia

Nolan Baumgartner, Vancouver

Brendan Witt, Nashville

Hal Gill, Boston

Jay McKee, Buffalo

Kenny Jonsson, N.Y. Islanders

Third star:

Brian Leetch, Boston

Keith Carney, Vancouver

Ruslan Salei, Anaheim

Teppo Numminen, Buffalo

Frantisek Kaberle, Carolina

Glen Wesley, Carolina

arlis Skrastins, Colorado

Filip Kuba, Minnesota

Francis Bouillon, Montreal

Eric Desjardins, Philadelphia

Niclas Havelid, Atlanta

Andreas Lilja, Detroit

Ken Klee, New Jersey

Tom Poti, N.Y. Rangers

Aki Berg, Toronto

Alexander Khavanov, Toronto

Seventh defencemen:

Jiri Slegr, Boston

Cale Hulse, Calgary

Chris Chelios, Detroit

Jason Woolley, Detroit

Dick Tarnstrom, Pittsburgh

Daniel Tjarnqvist, Minnesota

Andrei Zyuzin, Minnesota

Todd Simpson, Montreal

Joel Bouchard, N.Y. Islanders

Luke Richardson, Toronto

Sean Brown, Vancouver

Eric Weinrich, Vancouver

GOAL

Dominik Hasek, Ottawa

Curtis Joseph, Phoenix

Martin Gerber, Carolina

Cristobal Huet, Montreal

Dwayne Roloson, Edmonton

John Grahame, Tampa Bay

Manny Legace, Detroit

Brian Boucher, Calgary

Chris Osgood, Detroit

Brent Johnson, Washington

Patrick Lalime, St. Louis

Martin Prusek, Columbus

Wade Flaherty, Vancouver

I know its very unlikely, but as your sig says above, let's reunite the A line. They are all UFA.

Just a crazy thought. :whistling:

Imagine this:

A-line

gomez-Gionta-Mogilny

Two dangerous scoring lines with speed and skills. Arnott can be a lethal power-play point man as the Devils struggle in this area.

As for the defense, I hope Mitchell will return and hopefully, one of the two, Lidstrom or Chara, would wear a Devil uniform.

A guy like Parrish could be huge for this team. A natural goal scorer who lives around the net and plays the RW. Defensively responsable, good skater, and knows how to play in the eastern confrence. Yes he is streaky, but we are in desperate need of guys that can put the puck in the net.

Devils won't be adding a big-name defenseman, so that fantasy can be put to bed. If anything, they'll pick up someone like Lilja or Corvo. White-Martin is our shutdown pairing now (and is it just me, or does Martin look noticeably bigger than before?), Lukowich-Rafalski should hold up fine, and then you've got Hale-_______ (sayanora, Klee).

As for forwards, it obviously all hinges on Elias - and whether NJ has to foot the bill for Malakhov & Mogilny. Should there be cap room to spare, I would be ecstatic about signing Parrish (as some may have picked up on from the trade deadline threads) and Chouinard.

Edited by insanity_gallops

Lou's not reuniting the A-Line. Have we forgotten what Lou said about the A-Line in the 2003 Cup DVD? They were becoming bigger than the team itself, and that's not how the Devils work -- so bye-bye Arnott, bye-bye Sykora.

And let's not open up this can of worms again. Maybe I should just bump an old thread about this debate and spare us the trouble, heh.

Lou's not reuniting the A-Line. Have we forgotten what Lou said about the A-Line in the 2003 Cup DVD? They were becoming bigger than the team itself, and that's not how the Devils work -- so bye-bye Arnott, bye-bye Sykora.

And let's not open up this can of worms again. Maybe I should just bump an old thread about this debate and spare us the trouble, heh.

The same reason why he let Niedermayer goes???

I don't see how people think we would have the money to re-unite the A-Line. Arnott can feasibly run $3-$4 Million, while Sykora will assuredly be making over $2 Million. That's $6 Million while not really addressing any other needs or concerns. Not happening.

This team will have in the area of $3 Million to spend depending on what happens to players like Langenbrunner and Brylin. No real major signings will come, unless something drastic happens within the team.

Edited by Voros19

I don't see how people think we would have the money to re-unite the A-Line. Arnott can feasibly run $3-$4 Million, while Sykora will assuredly be making over $2 Million. This team will have in the area of $3 Million to spend depending on what happens to players like Langenbrunner and Brylin. No real major signings will come, unless something drastic happens within the team.

Kozlov is an UFA as well. Without him, the team can free up 2+ million.

The same reason why he let Niedermayer goes???

I dont see offering a UFA the max contract letting him go, but to each his own.

The situation with the A line was quite different in how Sykora and Arnott especially pouted about the line breaking up instead of trying to make the best of their new lines and still working hard. It was obvious back early in that season that the line didnt ahve its magic again, yet they refused to try something new. It first resulted it Arnotts trade to dallas. Then Sykora's questionable performance in the playoffs year got him shipped off as well.

I dont see offering a UFA the max contract letting him go, but to each his own.

The situation with the A line was quite different in how Sykora and Arnott especially pouted about the line breaking up instead of trying to make the best of their new lines and still working hard. It was obvious back early in that season that the line didnt ahve its magic again, yet they refused to try something new. It first resulted it Arnotts trade to dallas. Then Sykora's questionable performance in the playoffs year got him shipped off as well.

I don't like both trades involving Arnott and Sykora because the main ingredients (Friesen, Nieuwendyk and Tverdovsky) in this deal are gone. so, we just gave up something without anything in return.

I don't like both trades involving Arnott and Sykora because the main ingredients (Friesen, Nieuwendyk and Tverdovsky) in this deal are gone. so, we just gave up something without anything in return.

We have a rather large banner.

We got a 3rd rounder for Friesen, btw. And I think Anaheim got a 3rd and a prospect for Sykora.

Putting the A line back together would be unlikely, and I'm not sure it would work as planned (cough Mogilny, Malakhorrible). It would be cool to have the A line and the AA line though ;)

A guy like Parrish could be huge for this team. A natural goal scorer who lives around the net and plays the RW. Defensively responsable, good skater, and knows how to play in the eastern confrence. Yes he is streaky, but we are in desperate need of guys that can put the puck in the net.

"A natural goal scorer who lives around the net ..." Amen brother! Who was the last Devs "natural" goal scorer who played the PP and delivered in FRONT of the net 5 on 5 as well? I think it was Arnott. He freed up so much space for everybody around him on the PP while other great players like Gio don't command as much when it comes to the physical aspect of clearing space in front of the net.

You can also say Nieuwendyk, but Jason was the last, great player who took it to the net. Give me Parrish!

Sykora takes less to come back, IMO, he has man-love for Elias. (2.1ish/yr)

Redden is my dream. (5.5/yr)

but, Kubina(4.2/yr), is more likely.

I expect Langs to get resigned at about 1.8-1.9.

Elias 5.2, for 4yrs.

Gomer at 3.25 for 3yrs.

Gio at about 2-2.5yr.

And I don't think the raises are as much across the board as Voros19 does, but Kudos to him for making the spreadsheet, very helpfull.

I would like Lou to extend Raffy for 3yrs. at 3.4ish, that drops his number next year by about 800k.

Marshall, Weimer, Klee, and Assmuffin go away. Far away. I like Marsh, but the team has waaaay too many fourth liners on it that can be filled with inexpensive talent from the A at minimum wage.

Parise-Gomer-Gio

Elias-Sarge-Sykora

PanMaddenBrunner

Janssen-Ryznar-Tallackson/Vrana

Redden-Martin

Whitey-Raffy

Luk-Matvi

Hale

Sykora takes less to come back, IMO, he has man-love for Elias. (2.1ish/yr)

Redden is my dream. (5.5/yr)

but, Kubina(4.2/yr), is more likely.

I expect Langs to get resigned at about 1.8-1.9.

Elias 5.2, for 4yrs.

Gomer at 3.25 for 3yrs.

Gio at about 2-2.5yr.

And I don't think the raises are as much across the board as Voros19 does, but Kudos to him for making the spreadsheet, very helpfull.

I would like Lou to extend Raffy for 3yrs. at 3.4ish, that drops his number next year by about 800k.

Marshall, Weimer, Klee, and Assmuffin go away. Far away. I like Marsh, but the team has waaaay too many fourth liners on it that can be filled with inexpensive talent from the A at minimum wage.

Parise-Gomer-Gio

Elias-Sarge-Sykora

PanMaddenBrunner

Janssen-Ryznar-Tallackson/Vrana

Redden-Martin

Whitey-Raffy

Luk-Matvi

Hale

I like this and it's well thought out but Brylin can't be a second line center...we need one..physical, skillfull, something...hardworking just doesn't work with aging talent that Brylin is...he, if he fits in this equation should be fourth line...or third line with Madden and Pando...I like this though...but there is probably little to no chance Lou would have Sykie come back...

Edited by UnderDogX