Gionta stays on even keel

Rock

Gionta stays on even keel

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Wednesday, April 5, 2006

By TOM GULITTI

STAFF WRITER

WEST ORANGE -- Although Brian Gionta is only four goals away now, he continues to claim he is not thinking about the Devils' single-season record.

If you don't believe him, consider his actions in the Devils' 4-1 victory Saturday at Philadelphia.

Gionta was originally credited with a goal with 5:53 left in the second period that turned out to be the game-winner. Replay appeared to show Gionta deflecting Scott Gomez's shot from the right point with his stick. Gionta insisted he didn't touch it, however, and told the officials as much, so Gomez got credit for the goal, his 27th of the season.

Unselfish? No doubt.

But what will Gionta think if he falls one goal short of Pat Verbeek's team record of 46 established in 1987-88?

"If I had it, it wouldn't be legit," Gionta said Tuesday. "I can't take credit for something that wasn't mine. I'm trying to get Gomer to 30 also."

Gionta came back Sunday in Pittsburgh to score the winning goal in overtime, giving him 42 goals on the season. He needs four more in his final seven games to tie Verbeek, five to break the record.

The good news for Gionta, the shortest player in the NHL at 5 feet 7, is that he has another game against the Penguins tonight at Continental Arena. Gionta has seven goals, including three game-winners, in seven games against the Penguins this season.

Gionta's 42 goals already give him the fourth-highest single-season total in team history behind Alexander Mogilny's 43 in 2000-01, John MacLean's 45 in 1990-91 and Verbeek's 46.

Even Gionta, whose previous career best was 21 goals in 2003-04, admits he didn't expect to end up in such elite company.

"No, probably not," Gionta said. "You've got to be lucky. You have to have some things go your way for that to happen."

It might be because he doesn't want to ruin his good luck that Gionta downplays his pursuit of the record. It is consistent, however, with the Devils' team-first approach.

"Any individual accomplishment that's achieved is a compliment to the team and the player," Devils general manager and coach Lou Lamoriello said. "But that's something that happens. It's not something that's in a thought process."

Gionta, 27, undoubtedly has benefited from the rule changes that have opened up the game this season, but he says he's essentially the same player he was before last year's lockout.

"I'm basically just playing the same game with the exception of more power-play time than before," he said. "At even strength, it's probably about the same."

On that point, Gionta is correct. He played only sporadically on the power play in 2003-04 and didn't score any power-play goals. This season, he's set a team record with 21 power-play goals. His even-strength goal production is identical.

Still, Gionta has a confidence about him that he didn't possess before. It was evident last week in Ottawa when he was stopped on several early scoring chances by goalie Ray Emery, but came through to score his 40th goal in the third period.

"It's a matter of knowing you can go out and do it and not get frustrated if one or two don't go in," Gionta said.

BRIEF: The Devils signed undrafted free agent defenseman Andy Greene of Miami of Ohio. Greene, a 5-10, 186-pound native of Trenton, Mich., recently completed his senior season with the Red Hawks. "In our mind, he's one of the top college defensemen coming out this year," Lamoriello said.

Maybe I'll search later myself but if anyone has any info on Andy Greene already I'd love to see it.

2004-05 One of four RedHawks to skate in all 38 games ... named to All-CCHA First Team and was the CCHA's Outstanding Offensive Defenseman ... was a JOFA/ACHA Second-Team West All-American ... selected to the U.S. College Hockey Online All-American First Team and the Insidecollegehockey.com All-America Second Team ... tallied a career-high 34 points on seven goals and a career-best 27 assists ... was ninth in the CCHA in assists and led all league defensemen in scoring ... tied with teammate Todd Grant for fourth in the CCHA in power-play points (23) ... ranked fifth in the NCAA in points-per-game by defensemen (.89) ... opened the season with two points in each of the season's first three games ... had a goal and an assist in the season-opener versus Boston University (Oct. 8) and followed that up with a two-goal game versus Northeastern (Oct. 9) ... was named the CCHA Defensive Player of the Week (Oct. 11) ... added two assist in the first game of the Notre Dame series (Oct. 15) ... had two assists in each game of the St. Lawrence series (Oct. 29-30) ... after a four-game scoreless streak (Nov. 5-Nov. 20), went on a seven-game scoring streak (Nov. 26-Dec. 29) that included nine points, all assists ... snapped a 21-game goalless streak scoring once versus Northern Michigan (Jan. 15) ... earned back-to-back CCHA Defensive Player of the Week awards after tallying a career-high five points on two goals and three assists in the Lake Superior State series (Feb. 11-12) and then tying a career-high with three assists versus Alaska Fairbanks (Feb. 19) ... named Miami's Outstanding Defensive Player for the second year in a row ... was the recipient of the Gary DeLonge Most Valuable Player Award.

2003-04Paced all Miami defensemen for the second straight year in points with 7-19-26 in 41 games ... recorded his first career two-goal game with two power-play markers at Lake Superior State (Oct. 24) ... registered assists in back-to-back games in a weekend split at Northern Michigan (Jan. 9-10) ... tallied his second two-point game with a goal and assist at Ferris State (Jan. 16) ... scored two points, including a shorthanded goal, in a 7-1 win against Nebraska-Omaha (Jan. 24) ... scored a goal and handed out two assists for his first three-point game of the season at Michigan (Feb. 14) ... blocked five shots in a 5-2 win over Western Michigan (Feb. 28) ... named to the All-CCHA First Team after finishing second in the league among defensemen with 21 points ... notched his second two-assist game of the season with two in a 4-0 win over Lake Superior State (March 12) ... scored a goal and added an assist in a two-point outing against Northern Michigan (March 20) ... named to the CCHA All-Tournament team after being the Super Six's second-highest scoring defensemen with three points. HONORS & AWARDS: Named to the All-CCHA First Team and All-Tournament Team ... named Miami's co-Defensive Player of the Year.

2002-03 Led all defensemen with 23 points and 19 assists ... his 19 assists were second on the team ... his +10 rating was tops among Miami defensemen ... notched his first career point with an assist in 12-1 win over Air Force (Oct. 4) ... scored his first career goal and added an assist for two points versus St. Lawrence (Oct. 11) ... tallied his first career two-assist game, and second two-point game at Findlay (Nov. 15) ... notched two assists in 6-2 win over Alaska Fairbanks (Nov. 23), and was +1 en route to being named CCHA Rookie of the Week ... scored one goal and handed out two assists for his first career three-point game against Clarkson (Dec. 28) ... netted his third career goal on the power play versus Nebraska-Omaha (Jan. 11) ... his fourth goal of the season was the eventual game-winner on the power play in 5-3 win at Michigan State (Jan. 31) ... tallied two assists for the fourth time against Sacred Heart (Feb. 22) ... recorded a career-high three points with three helpers versus Lake Superior State (March 7). HONORS & AWARDS: Named CCHA Rookie of the Week for the weekend of Nov. 22-23 against Alaska Fairbanks ... selected to the CCHA All-Rookie Team ... named Miami's Rookie of the Year.

Prior to MiamiScored 16 goals and added 29 assists for 45 points in 53 games to lead all Ambassadors' defensemen ... helped lead Ambassador's to second NAHL championship in the last four years ... led all NAHL defensemen with 11 power-play goals ... named the NAHL's Most Valuable Defensemen ... also named to the NAHL All-League first team.

PersonalMajoring in education ... born October 30, 1982 ... son of David and Linda Greene ... brothers Matt and Shawn played hockey at Western Michigan and Lake Superior State, respectively.

http://muredhawks.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey...ene_andy00.html

Edited by Elias26

Did anyone else notice The Record's front page booted Sports fromt he right side and now has Entertainment/Living. They also still have Mike Piazza in the top Sports banner. I think it's time for them to change the website.

FYI: I ordered the record to Ithaca, NY and it took them a week before they e-mailed me and told me I was out of the area.

I love the Record, maybe because I was in it for HS Sports, but they really need to chenge their website.