Decade by Neil Young

Story of the Clash, Vol. 1

Chronicles by Rush

Steve Miller Band - Greatest Hits 1974-1978

The Ultimate Yes

Kettle Whistle by Jane's Addiction

Cars - Complete Greatest Hits

Message in a Box: The Complete Recordings [bOX SET] The Police

The Who: The Ultimate Collection [LIMITED EDITION] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]

Led Zeppelin [bOX SET]

decade is...i don't know. i don't like greatest hits in the first place, but i don't feel decade does him justice anyways.

2 songs from tonights the night are tired eyes and the title song? come on baby let's go downtown, world on a string, and mellow my mind are all significantly better. but to be fair tonights the night is an album that is just so much better as a full album then random songs here and there.

2 songs from on the beach, neil's finest album. ambulance blues is a top 5 neil song. the entire second side of that vinyl is pure freaking bliss.

i just have a lot of issues with this album.

but perhaps the biggest gripe is the fact that there is one song from zuma on there. zuma is just a terribly underrated album, imo neil's 3rd or fourth best. and the only one they have is cortez the killer, yes i realize most people identify the album with that song, but if more people would hear dangerbird they'd be swung.

there's just a lot of problems i have with decade, what i've said so far is just a tip of the iceberg. the one thing i did enjoy a lot about it though was how it ends with "long may you run"

though to be perfectly honest, throwing together a bunch of random neil young songs from every album is a pretty decent formula for a great album.

well onto the actual topic.

pearl jam's greatest hits isn't that bad....

bruce's greatest hits isn't great...but the inclusion of blood brothers and murder incorporated makes it worthwhile.

all of bob dylan's greatest hits suck.

Edited by bruins4777

i pretty much have the same stance as three stars...though i'm somewhat of a completist with certain artists, so i get everything, even if it's a stupid greatest hits i know i'll end up criticizing.

greatest hits helped me out with bruce though. i didn't really know where to go with him, so i found his greatest hits and worked my way from there and now i'm a pure bruce addict.

so i guess greatest hits can work in that sense.

I get what you are saying. For artists that I love, I always find the greatest hits albums lacking because there are always those personal favorites that weren't big hits, but moved you personally. And it's those songs that mean more to you.

One example for me, is Don Henley - "Actual Miles" is still one of my favorite "Greatest Hits" albums, mostly because there are a couple good new songs added to it and a cover of Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows". But after listening to "Actual Miles" I'm left feeling like it's incomplete with "Gimme What You Got", "Johnny Can't Read" and "A Month of Sundays".

On the other hand, there are artists who I can ONLY listen to their Greatest Hits. For example, Kate Bush. I just can't get into her other albums. Some of my rather snooty friends stick their nose in the air about "The Whole Story" saying that I'm not getting the context, the flow of listening to these songs in their original order as they were meant to be heard. That and I don't know what I am missing with all her other wonderful songs. But I just really can't get into it.

Given the caveat that my top 20 greatest hits albums does in not fully reflect my favorite artists (except #1 and #9). For many of the artists listed, I have no album EXCEPT the greatest hits. Note that I couldn't filter down "rock" because I can never figure out what is rock and what isn't. Is John Mellencamp "rock" or "pop" or "country" or "folk" or "alternative" or....

(1) Waiting for a Miracle - Bruce Cockburn

(2) Billy Joel - Greatest Hits

(3) Gorden Lightfoot - Gord's Gold Volume I (didn't like Volume II except "Wreck")

(4) David Bowie - Best of Bowie

(5) Marilyn Manson - Lest We Forget

(6) Reba McEntire - Greatest Hits Volume II

(7) Billy Idol - Greatest Hits

(8) Diana Ross - Millennium Collection

(9) John Lennon - John Lennon Collection

(10) Joni Mitchell - Hits

(11) Melissa Ethridge - Road Less Travelled

(12) Roy Orbison - All Time Greatest Hits

(13) Reba McEntire - I'm a Survivor (Greatest Hits Volume III)

(14) ZZ Top - Chrome, Smoke and BBQ

(15) Sloan - A-Sides Win

(16) Murray McLachlan - Murray McLauchlan: Greatest Hits

(17) Rob Zombie - Past, Present and Future

(18) Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits

(19) John Mellencamp - Words & Music

(20) Supertramp - The Very Best of Supertramp

Honourable mention goes to: Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet, Hole - Live Through This and Faith No More- The Real Thing. :)

Hrm. I expanded to a top 20 and still feel that it is incomplete without Smashing Pumpkins -"Rotten Apples", Anthrax - "Persistance of Time 1990-1998", BNL - Disc One, Black Sabbath's "We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'N' Roll", Spirit of the West - "Hit Parade", Bond - Explosion and as mention previously, "Actual Miles".

Edited by Don

I get what you are saying.

(1) Waiting for a Miracle - Bruce Cockburn

(2) Billy Joel - Greatest Hits

(3) Gorden Lightfoot - Gord's Gold Volume I (didn't like Volume II except "Wreck")

(4) David Bowie - Best of Bowie

(5) Marilyn Manson - Lest We Forget

(6) Reba McEntire - Greatest Hits Volume II

(7) Billy Idol - Greatest Hits

(8) Diana Ross - Millennium Collection

(9) John Lennon - John Lennon Collection

(10) Joni Mitchell - Hits

(11) Melissa Ethridge - Road Less Travelled

(12) Roy Orbison - All Time Greatest Hits

(13) Reba McEntire - I'm a Survivor (Greatest Hits Volume III)

(14) ZZ Top - Chrome, Smoke and BBQ

(15) Sloan - A-Sides Win

(16) Murray McLachlan - Murray McLauchlan: Greatest Hits

(17) Rob Zombie - Past, Present and Future

(18) Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits

(19) John Mellencamp - Words & Music

(20) Supertramp - The Very Best of Supertramp

Honourable mention goes to: Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet, Hole - Live Through This and Faith No More- The Real Thing. :)

Hrm. I expanded to a top 20 and still feel that it is incomplete without Smashing Pumpkins -"Rotten Apples", Anthrax - "Persistance of Time 1990-1998", BNL - Disc One, Black Sabbath's "We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'N' Roll", Spirit of the West - "Hit Parade", Bond - Explosion and as mention previously, "Actual Miles".

Don, I wish I owned your collection! I forgot my David Bowie, ELO and Supertramp is a great call! I know you understand what I'm trying to get at here. I'm 40 years old and own many "albums", for me to upgrade has cost me a fortune! So for bands that I love and "sorta" love (like the CCR), greatest hits albums have been great.

I just picked up Blink 182's greatest for my Ipod for 10 bucks and that was a steal! Thanks for the head's up on Petty and Supertramp as I'm going to Amazon as we speak!

I just picked up Blink 182's greatest for my Ipod for 10 bucks and that was a steal! Thanks for the head's up on Petty and Supertramp as I'm going to Amazon as we speak!

Gotta love Blink 182! I have all their albums so I didn't bother with the greatest hits. And it so sucks that they broke up, I am not digging Tom's new band Angels and Airwaves either. Mark's band Plus 44 isn't bad though. Still love Blink though!

I love certain greatest hits albums as they let you get to the best of a marginal band that didn't have deep albums but had some great stuff sporadically.

For example: Simple Minds: Glittering Prize

ABBA Gold

Berlin: Best of

Def Leopard: Vault

Loverboy: Classics

Squeeze: Singles

Steve Winwood: Chronicles

Blondie: Best of

Bob Marley: Legend

There are other best of CDs that are just good music from start to finish that IMO are great to have even though you have all of the albums that support the best of such as

Billy Joel's Greatest Hits

Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits

Clash on Broadway

Elvis Costello: Girls Girls Girls

Cure: Staring at the Sea

Duran Duran: Decade

Paul Simon: Negotiations and Lovesongs

Edited by devilsadvoc8

Easy. I deleted half of "INXS: The Greatest Hits" while I played "Who Made Who" so many times that the cassette tape snapped. Heck, I remember making a 60 minute tape of "DT" and put it in a auto-flip cassette deck and played all-nighters of "Test Drive" when I was in high school.

Now that everything is on the iPod, I did remove "Ride On" as it didn't fit in with the rest of the Brian Johnson. But other that, it's almost a perfect album. Besides, I preferred the way that AC/DC replaced their dead lead singer. :)

Easy. I deleted half of "INXS: The Greatest Hits" while I played "Who Made Who" so many times that the cassette tape snapped. Heck, I remember making a 60 minute tape of "DT" and put it in a auto-flip cassette deck and played all-nighters of "Test Drive" when I was in high school.

Now that everything is on the iPod, I did remove "Ride On" as it didn't fit in with the rest of the Brian Johnson. But other that, it's almost a perfect album. Besides, I preferred the way that AC/DC replaced their dead lead singer. :)

Lol... I'm not a big INXS fan but was just looking for a great selling Aussie band that stands up against one of the greatest rock bands of all time!

The Little River Band doesn't cut it! :lol:

There is only one Australian band I listen to more than AC/DC. Midnight Oil.

Great call. I remember the lead singer was actually a politician and or a member of Parliament. Owned Diesel and Dust or one of their earlier recordings but I forget. Nice call.

damn midnight oil. blue sky mining is a top 5 album for me. i always forget about them, because i don't have any of their other stuff. everybody keeps on telling me how good diesel and dust is..still haven't gotten around to that though.

holy crap how did i forget wave of mutilation by the pixies. thats the best of record i listen to more than any other. i listen to that album more than any other pixies album for that matter.

Edited by bruins4777

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine

Devin Townsend - Terria

Strapping Young Lad - City

Clawfinger - Clawfinger

Ac/Dc - Black Album

Gun's N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Rammstein - Reise/Reise & Sehnsucht

Sepultura - All

and for the last, a mix of lot of album (Sick of it all, Slayer, Machine Head, Queen of the Stone Age, Sisters of Mercy, Joe Satriani, Prodigy, Paradise Lost, Oomph!, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica of course... and many more !)

damn midnight oil. blue sky mining is a top 5 album for me. i always forget about them, because i don't have any of their other stuff. everybody keeps on telling me how good diesel and dust is..still haven't gotten around to that though.

holy crap how did i forget wave of mutilation by the pixies. thats the best of record i listen to more than any other. i listen to that album more than any other pixies album for that matter.

Look into an album called Head Injuries by Midnight Oil. Its a bit harder/punkish from their early days but its my favorite cd of theirs. Diesel & Dust and Blue Sky Mining are good as well.

I'm not a big fan of Greatest Hits albums, but there are a few that I own...

Bob Segers Greatest Hits

Jackson Browne - The Very Best of

Patsy Cline - 12 Greatest Hits

Roy Orbison - In Dreams (Greates Hits)

Buddy Holly - From the Original Master Tapes

Thats about it, I guess they are not all rock, but I enjoy them.

chris