Philly In The Hunt For Iginia

DevilMinder

I think Calgary would be crazy to trade him.

Definitely. But we all know they're not in the greatest of shape financially. It's quite possible they would trade him for salary dump (the theme around the league at present, it seems).

How's his defense?

I'm just concerned that, were he to come here, he'd have trouble adjusting to a defense-oriented system that could result in lower stat totals for him (kinda like the rumors flying around Tverdovsky)

insanity, if they trade him, why should Calgary be an NHL franchise :P

Teams like that can't give up all its stars.  They won't survive.

don't blame Calgary for the inflated Player salaries that the league now has....but I bet you know who we can blame.

Calgary dumping a young star like Iginla is another glaring exanple of why we need a CAP!!

I also do not see Lou jumping in to block the Flyers. If Philly obtains them they will have to give up plenty....and that team is still struggling to find an identity.

Personaaly I think that teh Flames wait until the offseason to move Jerome if at all.

I do think that Philly will pull the trigger on another move...Clarke is getting desparate.

Two Things:

The Devils do not need to pull of a mega blockbuster to get a guy who is earning a ton of money, and will cost you valuable prospects and NHL talent in return therefore weakening a strength to patch a weakness that people think exists when in reality our scoring is fine.

Also, if the Devils did somehow make a trade and acquire a player like that, that player might actually blossom or become reinvigorated in a plyoff race. The Devils system produces lots of scoring chances and tons of shots which often favors shooters, but again this team seems to have enough of a balanced offense.

The question is: Is it really worth it?? We needed Mogilny, but I dont think the way Lou has structured this team, it is that much of a need? No?

It's not Lou's style to block trades. The Devils would have to give up a lot to get Iginla. The Flyers have the ability to pay him, but will probably have to strip a big part of their future to obtain him, as would any team. The Devils are doing very well right now, I don't see Lou dismantling the team to get a major star. On radio, coming home from the game Velishek (sp?)pointed out that in the last 16 games out of a possible 32 points the Devils got 28!!! That's without a so called superstar mentioned in trade rumors. Why ruin a good team to get one player?

Just thought I'd add this little blurb from Spectors on something Strachan wrote in the Toronto Sun:

The Calgary Flames would like to move Jarome Iginla, but only for three players who can step into their roster and contribute right away, which makes a deal unlikely.

Spector's Note: Way to go, Strach! Two in a row! Nice to see he's staying away from the truly bizarre rumours he used to report, like Eric Lindros going to Boston because the Bruins needed a marquee name.

I'd absolutely love to have Jarome Iginla on the Devils! He's a great young guy off-ice as well and would be a plus for this organization. But as I've said before, I just can't imagine Calgary letting him go unless they're just completely throwing in the towel.

For Calgary's sake - I hope they don't do it.

Puck and Derek -

Exactly how would a cap help keep Iginla in Calgary? If you put the cap at $45 or 50 million, what does that do? If Calgary can't afford to pay Iginla, cap or no cap, they will trade him. Igilna was going to get paid his $7 million last year, regardless of where he wound up. A cap will just keep the higher end teams from spending out of control. The Calgarys and the Edmontons will never come close to the cap number.

Getting Iginla would certainly make Philly more dangerous.

But they still couldn't beat NJ in a best of 7 playoff series.

I'm not so sure about that. Iginla spells trouble if he winds up with the Flyers. True, the Devils can still beat the Flyers, but I dont like some of the matchups created by having Iginla on that team.

Come on, it's the FLYERS in the playoffs!

It doesn't matter who they have.

Legion of Doom, Adam Oates, JR, Hextall, Waterboy, Cechmanek...

There's always something major missing in their playoff run.

Either their goaltending sucks OR

When their goaltending is good, they can't score!!!

The Flyers, as talented as they may be on paper, cannot beat NJ in the playoffs.

Come on, it's the FLYERS in the playoffs!

It doesn't matter who they have.

Legion of Doom, Adam Oates, JR, Hextall, Waterboy, Cechmanek...

There's always something major missing in their playoff run.

Either their goaltending sucks OR

When their goaltending is good, they can't score!!!

The Flyers, as talented as they may be on paper, cannot beat NJ in the playoffs.

we shall see. i hope you are right. :unsure::unsure:

Pro sports teams have a strange way of slapping you back to reality just when you think you have them figured out. The past is the past and plays no role in the present. Once the playoffs start, the slate is clean and I would prefer to face the Flyers without Iginla or some other goal scorer added to their team.