Your Top 5 Rated Hardcore Bands...

LOULAM1

Yes, this is a top 5 of the hardcore bands that you think influenced other great bands. I'm so old I remember seeing alot of these bands live, with the exception of the Pistols.

The beauty is there are no WRONG answers here! Just bringing back good old memories and add links or fav vinyl if you want to throw them into your top 5.

Please keep it to 5 as we could all look back and add 10 more just from the NYC alone (Murphy's Law) :clap:.

Bad Brains. To many bands to count that have followed their great status as one of the best (If not THE best) ever!

Minor Threat. I love Fugazi.

Sex Pistols. "Never Mind the..." influenced who?

SNFU. Canadians took it to the next level in Edmonton back in 82'.

Husker Du. Again, we're talking about who made an impact on other great bands? I think they still own Minnesota!

I love Minor Threat. I would throw Madball on that list though.

Pick up their live dvd from the 9:30... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minor-Threat-Space...l/dp/B0000E69IY

Also includes Buff Hall, Camden NJ! Great Ian dives from all over the stage! Madball is Ag Front's front man? I WILL LOOK THAT UP!!!!

Also Kraut, what we used to call as kids "the Black Album"! All Twisted was the single but the whole album just ripped! Great influence on the NYC scene.

http://www.myspace.com/kraut69

3 more bands from you bro!

Ever heard of a band called Days in Grief?

I just went to their website to check them out. Doesn't let you get a quick demo of their songs and to answer your original question, no not until you mentioned them.

I'll go to their myspace and check them out at work. Time for bed!!!!!!!!!!!!! Peace.

Yes, this is a top 5 of the hardcore bands that you think influenced other great bands. I'm so old I remember seeing alot of these bands live, with the exception of the Pistols.

My five:

- Bad Brains

- Minor Threat

- Agnostic Front

- Bad Religion

- Dead Kennedys

Ever heard of a band called Days in Grief?

Just checked them out last night but didn't get to post. Great band as they are melodic and the drummer can shred! Hints of Helmet every now and then as far as the guitar is concerned. Listening to "The Time for You Will Come" as I write this and like it but just wish they would concentrate on more of the straight ahead (just finished with Breathe) guitar playing as this guy can play.

This band is so talented I think they are somewhat confused as to where the song writing should go. Sometimes they'll lay into a great riff only to drop off and throw you into a melodic bliss. I know they're talented enough to go mainstream, but it sounds like they don't want to leave their punk roots behind... still better than 95% of the sh^t you hear here in Phillthy and NJ/NYC.

I see they are playing Germany for the next couple of months, but I would love to see them live at a small venue like the North Star Bar in Philly where I'm chillin right now (not the bar, I'm in Ardmore this weekend).

Thanks for turning me on to the band!

forgot some links :)

cro mags - we gotta know (live). one of the greatest intros ever

the entire gorilla biscuits cbgb's reunion show

i grew up on youth crew hardcore, kevin seconds is one of my idols

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hl0dxxYZ-sA

Great bands and thanks for the cro mags stuff! Did you ever hear of a band called Underdog? I think you'll be in for a treat if you have not (Check them out below)! Thanks for the biscuits to as that was fun to watch! I also grew up with the drummer for the band below in Belmar NJ AND PROUD OF IT! Enjoy friend!

http://www.myspace.com/underdognyc

Im 45 and grew up on punk and hardcore.Ive seen most of the bands listed close to 20 times each,all in the NY/NJ area.Best live bands.....

1-BAD BRAINS-One of the greatest live bands ever.period.

2-BLACK FLAG-soundtrack for a riot,as theyve been described.Greg Ginn on guitar was just unreal,his intensity is still for the most part unmatched.When Rollins first joined w/ Dez Cadena on 2nd guitar was my fave lineup.Just some killer shows in this area,Mudd club,peppermint Lounge,Fast Lane,Ritz etc.

3-DEAD KENNEDYS-Lots of unreal area shows,dont even bother to see this band without Jello.I remember a packed Irving plaza just going apesh!t with loads of DC punks on hand for the show.

4-MINOR THREAT-were only around for a couple years but the shows at CBGBs were just great,very intense.

5-MISFITS-Live shows were always short due to broken equipment and fights but for 30 min they were tough to beat,Great fun were the Halloween shows at the poish hall on St.marks place where they would set up bedsheets and play horror movies on them.

Hon mention--MINUTEMEN,FEAR,ROCKET FROM THE CRYPT,REO SPEEDEALER

Saw a great show this week at the brighton bar. THE DWARVES Check out THE DWARVES MUST DIE

Im 45 and grew up on punk and hardcore.Ive seen most of the bands listed close to 20 times each,all in the NY/NJ area.Best live bands.....

1-BAD BRAINS-One of the greatest live bands ever.period.

2-BLACK FLAG-soundtrack for a riot,as theyve been described.Greg Ginn on guitar was just unreal,his intensity is still for the most part unmatched.When Rollins first joined w/ Dez Cadena on 2nd guitar was my fave lineup.Just some killer shows in this area,Mudd club,peppermint Lounge,Fast Lane,Ritz etc.

3-DEAD KENNEDYS-Lots of unreal area shows,dont even bother to see this band without Jello.I remember a packed Irving plaza just going apesh!t with loads of DC punks on hand for the show.

4-MINOR THREAT-were only around for a couple years but the shows at CBGBs were just great,very intense.

5-MISFITS-Live shows were always short due to broken equipment and fights but for 30 min they were tough to beat,Great fun were the Halloween shows at the poish hall on St.marks place where they would set up bedsheets and play horror movies on them.

Hon mention--MINUTEMEN,FEAR,ROCKET FROM THE CRYPT,REO SPEEDEALER

Saw a great show this week at the brighton bar. THE DWARVES Check out THE DWARVES MUST DIE

Couple of questions, do you think Bad Brains shot themselves in the foot with the whole "gay" thing that they caught up in? I know they are all very religious, but my brother and I were talking about this last night as Husker Du has two gay members (I know pun) and who the F cares if they are gay as they are one of the best bands ever!

Did you ever see the Meatmen and Tesco Vee? One of tightest bands I have ever seen (I'm sure you did) and great people also. "Super Super... Simple as that..." :rofl: Toolin for A^us!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=49859765

Last.. is Buff Hall located on the Rutgers Camden campus? Minor Threat played there and don't know where the F it is? Also her's a gift from Tesco... FUNNY AS SH^T!!!!!:

Edited by LOULAM1

Couple of questions, do you think Bad Brains shot themselves in the foot with the whole "gay" thing that they caught up in? I know they are all very religious, but my brother and I were talking about this last night as Husker Du has two gay members (I know pun) and who the F cares if they are gay as they are one of the best bands ever!

Did you ever see the Meatmen and Tesco Vee? One of tightest bands I have ever seen (I'm sure you did) and great people also. "Super Super... Simple as that..." :rofl: Toolin for A^us!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=49859765

Last.. is Buff Hall located on the Rutgers Camden campus? Minor Threat played there and don't know where the F it is? Also her's a gift from Tesco... FUNNY AS SH^T!!!!!:

Buff Hall was a venue in Camden.weddings, concerts etc. To be honest i dont remember any "gay" issues with the bad brains.I know their religous beliefs didnt help the music career and they had other issues.Oh well..."The candle that burns brightest burns for half as long".

Saw the Meatmen once,pretty funny.I have both of the original singles...will get them up on ebay at some point.

Buff Hall was a venue in Camden.weddings, concerts etc. To be honest i dont remember any "gay" issues with the bad brains.I know their religous beliefs didnt help the music career and they had other issues.Oh well..."The candle that burns brightest burns for half as long".

Saw the Meatmen once,pretty funny.I have both of the original singles...will get them up on ebay at some point.

http://www.30underdc.com/bands/badbrains/

Thank's for the info on buff hall. This should give you some insight as to what my brother and I were talking about last night concerning Bad Brains. Also, this is one person's view and like you stated, "The candle that burns brightest burns for half as long".

"The tour was well-recieved, the band were making friends across the country, and the future of the Bad Brains and Bad Brains Records looked bright until they hit California. In an interview with Flipside they showed some disturbing sentiment: HR complained that there were "too many faggots" in San Francisco, and said that their behavior, "disturbs me, makes me want to go and shoot one of them."

The Brains fled to Texas, where they showed that their homophobia was nothing, if not consistent. In Austin they played a show with the Big Boys and Dicks. They were also staying with the Big Boys' singer, Biscuit, who was an openly gay man. The story of what followed has been repeated hundreds of times, and doubtless there's exaggeration on both sides, but what it boils down to is this:

Biscuit buys the band some marijuana, with a promise of repayment from the Brains. The Brains (or more specifically, HR) learns Biscuit is gay. There are then two confronations, the first between Biscuit and HR, the second between the Bad Brains and MDC.

There was a shouting match on Biscuit's front lawn, and in place of money to pay for the marijuana Biscuit had bought them was a note saying, in effect, "Burn in hell, bloodclot jerk." The band also destroyed two posters hanging on Biscuit's walls--one featuring the pope, the other a naked man.

Around the same time MDC embarked on their national tour and devoted time to discuss the Bad Brains in every interview they did, as well as writing a song about them (Pay to Cum Along). Some of what they had to say was valid criticism, but a lot of it just seemed to be an excuse to spew some bile--in Canada, their interview with No Cause for Concern degenerated into such a nasty rag-fest that even now, 20 years later, NCFC won't publish the unedited transcript.

Darryl playing from Now What 0

The sentiment against the Bad Brains was building steadily, and even the Meatmen, namely Tesco Vee and Mike Achtenberg, had a negative story to share:

TESCO) They played with us two nights at Bunches. They used our equipment and didn't even offer us a dime. They stayed at Mike's house!

MIKE) Yeah, for a week.

TESCO) Yeah, that's typical Bad Brains, yeah, phone bills and sh!t and the whole reggae philosophy...

KATIE) Jah provides.

TESCO) Yeah, Jah provides and gives us your money.

MIKE) And they did that thing to the Stains (MDC) in Texas too...

TESCO) And they ripped off the singer in the Big Boys because he was gay and they took his money and said we're not going to pay you back "you bloodclot jerk" and all that sh!t. The Meatmen talk about homos and attack homos because they're weak and defenseless, not because we genuinely hate them. We joke about them and call them sissies and stuff, but that's because homos can't fight back. Just like crippled children can't fight back, that's why we wrote that song and uh, I don't know...

Steve Miller, of the Fix (Mike's roommate) had a different recollection when I talked with him in 2005, "They were great house guests--the cooked for us, they cleaned, they played ping pong with us--we had a great table downstairs, and every night we'd play ping pong, and they were just terrific guests. [...] I would continue to run into them over the years and they were always terrific, always remembered me, they were just great. It's funny, I must be one of the few that's had nothing but great experiences with them."

The band's tour continued, but were dogged by constant criticism from fans. Their shows were also uneven, with HR pushing the band to drop the hardcore and play all reggae and the band often going along--sometimes playing thirty or forty minutes of reggae and five or six minutes of hardcore before abruptly walking off stage.

After the tour, Bad Brains records fizzled, and their first album finally saw release on ROIR (or maybe it was released just before the tour, but didn't start moving until afterwards? I'm kinda unclear on the chronology here). The hardcore compilation they'd been working on was shelved, as were the Bad Brains singles and EPs that were planned.

The ROIR cassette received favorable reviews, but most were offset by a disclaimer stating that it was the music the reviewers liked, not the attitude of the band. Even Steve Albini, who's infamous for his sometimes vicious gay-baiting, asked, "Is it okay to like the Bad Brains' music, even if they are dicks?"

Despite all that, the band managed to carry on touring, and the ROIR cassette sold well, as did tickets to their gigs (though they were not always met with open arms--one Philly punk referred to a Bad Brains show as a "confrontation with Jah's soldiers").

Ric Ocasek (of new wave poppers the Cars) was impressed enough with the band and produced their watered-down second album, Rock For Light, in 1983. The band split in 1984, and HR started a solo career in the funk/reggae vein he had been pushing for.

The band has reformed and split several times since then and released a number of singularly unimpressive albums. HR is still playing music, still a Rastafarian, still homophobic, and from all accounts, twenty years of drugs has taken its toll on his mental health."

Just checked them out last night but didn't get to post. Great band as they are melodic and the drummer can shred! Hints of Helmet every now and then as far as the guitar is concerned. Listening to "The Time for You Will Come" as I write this and like it but just wish they would concentrate on more of the straight ahead (just finished with Breathe) guitar playing as this guy can play.

This band is so talented I think they are somewhat confused as to where the song writing should go. Sometimes they'll lay into a great riff only to drop off and throw you into a melodic bliss. I know they're talented enough to go mainstream, but it sounds like they don't want to leave their punk roots behind... still better than 95% of the sh^t you hear here in Phillthy and NJ/NYC.

I see they are playing Germany for the next couple of months, but I would love to see them live at a small venue like the North Star Bar in Philly where I'm chillin right now (not the bar, I'm in Ardmore this weekend).

Thanks for turning me on to the band!

Anytime, I have the albums, if you want them let me know :)

I don't know much about hardcore or even that many hardcore bands (I'm more of an old school metal guy) but I've seen Hatebreed at Ozzfest this past summer and Throwdown and Madball the summer before that at Sounds of the Underground. Hatebreed was pretty good, Throwdown was fun but I'm not really into their whole straight-edge thing, and Madball was just awesome, they're probably the only hardcore band I really listen to.

Is there a real distinction between metal and hardcore these days? Like which would Lamb of God be classified as?

Edited by devilsfan26

A couple notes about the Bad Brains' discussion...

Apparently, the song "Don't Blow Bubbles" ("Quickness" LP) was pretty homphobic. I did a quick search and couldn't find the lyrics, but I found this blurb online:

"'Don't Blow Bubbles' may or may not be a slightly homophobic cautionary tale for the age of AIDS."

Also, WikiPedia had something about how H.R. was a pretty unstable guy overall, which goes along with some of the actions described. Apparently (?), they were going to have the opening slot on a tour with U2, and right during the tour negotiations, H.R. walked out and never returned. He uttered not a word. Just up and left. Opening for U2...and he essentially turned it down... :blink:

Is there a real distinction between metal and hardcore these days? Like which would Lamb of God be classified as?

I don't think so, man. I think the only thing we have to go on is how the band classifies themselves. I think it's good in a way. I mean, so long as you like the music, who cares what it's labeled as?