BEER

TrentonDevils

It kills me to admit this, but Philly's the best place I've been to for breweries. Triumph is great (though I've been to the New Hope location, and I've heard they're better). Nodding Head's an amazing brew pub. Had the sampler. Everything was good, one ale (forget which) was amazing. Yards is great as well. They have a cool series of beers based on recipes from the founding fathers. Totally worth visiting just for the beer. One of my best friends moved down there, which works for me.

It kills me to admit this, but Philly's the best place I've been to for breweries. Triumph is great (though I've been to the New Hope location, and I've heard they're better). Nodding Head's an amazing brew pub. Had the sampler. Everything was good, one ale (forget which) was amazing. Yards is great as well. They have a cool series of beers based on recipes from the founding fathers. Totally worth visiting just for the beer. One of my best friends moved down there, which works for me.

I just had a bottle of their Thomas Jefferson Tavern Ale last night that I got from Oak St. Very tasty I must say.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the Sly Fox 2011 Christmas ale. Really solid. Good balance of the winter spices and beer flavor.

Has anybody been to Defiant? Me and my brother are thinking of checking it out while he's in town.

Edited by mouse

Just had the Sly Fox 2011 Christmas ale. Really solid. Good balance of the winter spices and beer flavor.

Has anybody been to Defiant? Me and my brother are thinking of checking it out while he's in town.

Defiant in Pearl River, N.Y.? I've been there a few times with my friend and his brother. It's a decent brewery, pretty bare bones, nothing fancy. Draws a young crowd on weekends.

I just bought a bunch of winter brews to sip over the holidays: Harpoon Winter Warmer, Long Trail Hibernator, Troegs Mad Elf Ale, Weyerbacher Winter Ale, and River Horse Belgian Freeze.

Defiant in Pearl River, N.Y.? I've been there a few times with my friend and his brother. It's a decent brewery, pretty bare bones, nothing fancy. Draws a young crowd on weekends.

I just bought a bunch of winter brews to sip over the holidays: Harpoon Winter Warmer, Long Trail Hibernator, Troegs Mad Elf Ale, Weyerbacher Winter Ale, and River Horse Belgian Freeze.

Nice.

I picked up Delirium Noel and Rogue Christmas Ale.

How is the river horse Belgian freeze? What kind of style is it?

How is the river horse Belgian freeze? What kind of style is it?

It's a Belgian Dark Ale. I liked it, although maybe not as much as I had hoped I would, considering that I REALLY like some of the other River Horse brews.

Also, I mentioned the Harpoon Winter Warmer a few posts back. In case anyone was wondering, that stuff tasted god-awful! And the Weyerbacher Winter Ale was only OK, but barely.

However, the Long Trail Hibernator was awesome, and I liked the Troegs Mad Elf Ale too.

Also, the guy working at the liquor store I went to the other day turned me on to Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout, which I enjoyed very much.

Edited by 95Crash

It's a Belgian Dark Ale. I liked it, although maybe not as much as I had hoped I would, considering that I REALLY like some of the other River Horse brews.

Also, I mentioned the Harpoon Winter Warmer a few posts back. In case anyone was wondering, that stuff tasted god-awful! And the Weyerbacher Winter Ale was only OK, but barely.

However, the Long Trail Hibernator was awesome, and I liked the Troegs Mad Elf Ale too.

Also, the guy working at the liquor store I went to the other day turned me on to Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout, which I enjoyed very much.

Had the Mad Elf at my local brew pub and it was very tasty. Suprising as I'm not the biggest fan of winter beers as they often overdo it on the spice.

I used to love Yuengling years ago, but now I find it to be a beer I go to when there is nothing else better around. Still a decent beer though.

Yea I feel the same way, I was just saying if it's for beer pong or something of that nature I would at least go to Yuengling before resorting to Miller Lite or similar atrocities.

My boss got me an Arrogant Bastard, Three Philosophers, and Corsendonk for Christmas. Big step up from the $5 gift card to Dunkin' Donuts I got from him last year haha.

Also I don't remember if this beer has been mentioned yet in this thread, but Celebration by Sierra Nevada is definitely a hugely underrated IPA. If anyone here who likes IPAs hasn't had it yet and finds it still on shelves, definitely pick it up. It comes out every year around late November/early December.

And has anyone had Old Man by Southern Tier? I got this for Christmas as well. BeerAdvocate has it listed as an old ale, but it tastes very different from the only other old ale I've had, which is North Coast Old Stock Ale. I find it to be very good, and I must have overlooked it in stores a hundred times for whatever reason. North Coast Old Stock Ale is much better, but it's also pretty expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Driving up to Hyde Park with the fiancee today, hoping to try a sampler from Hyde Park Brewing Company. Will post when I get back.

Had the Rouge Hazelnut Brown Nectar the other day.....freaking awesome.

rogue-hazelnut-brown-nectar.jpg?w=470

I actually drank it while eating fish and chips which worked out pretty well. Then again, anything deep fried with any beer is usually a safe bet.

I love Rogue!

Went to Hyde Park Brewing Co yesterday. They had some decent stuff. The porter was okay, but nothing to write home about. I liked the red lager a lot. Their special right now is a decent dunkel. In general, they tend to make more lighter stuff; they had a good variety of lagers. Overall, solid, fundamentally sound brew pub, worth going to if you end up that far (poor word choice, because it's not actually really far away) upstate.