My Laptop Died

LA03

My laptop of four years died last weekend (well just the monitor went thankfully so I can still get all my stuff off of it...which no I haven't been backing up at all) It was a Dell Latitude and Qpac made everyone get the same laptop freshman year. I am sort of sad about it .. especially since this is the LAST thing I wanted to spend money on. (I really wanted a new bag, but now that's not happening.) I'm pretty clueless about computers and my dad has been trying to help me decide, but we wind up arguing about it. Even though I'm the one paying for it. (For instance, I liked the Dell Inspiron because it comes in pink. He wants me to look at the thinkpads, but I think they're really ugly.)

Anyway I was thinking about getting the Dell Inspiron 1420 (the 14.1 inch/2GB of memory)

or maybe a Toshiba or maybe even the thinkpad. I don't know.

Orrrrr maybe even switching over and getting a Macbook. But that makes me nervous because I've never used a Mac in my life.

Really any insight would be great. Thank you.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My laptop of four years died last weekend (well just the monitor went thankfully so I can still get all my stuff off of it...which no I haven't been backing up at all) It was a Dell Latitude and Qpac made everyone get the same laptop freshman year. I am sort of sad about it .. especially since this is the LAST thing I wanted to spend money on. (I really wanted a new bag, but now that's not happening.) I'm pretty clueless about computers and my dad has been trying to help me decide, but we wind up arguing about it. Even though I'm the one paying for it. (For instance, I liked the Dell Inspiron because it comes in pink. He wants me to look at the thinkpads, but I think they're really ugly.)

Anyway I was thinking about getting the Dell Inspiron 1420 (the 14.1 inch/2GB of memory)

or maybe a Toshiba or maybe even the thinkpad. I don't know.

Orrrrr maybe even switching over and getting a Macbook. But that makes me nervous because I've never used a Mac in my life.

Really any insight would be great. Thank you.

I would suggest not getting a Sony whatever you do. I have had mine for two years and it has been nothing but problems. Between the DC jack falling apart, the sound suddenly not working, the mouse button refusing to function, and the hard drive dying twice, there has never been a time where everything on this computer works fine. I can't wait until this thing is just completely done so I have no choice but to buy a new one and take this thing out back and beat it with a hockey stick.

I'm another IT guy here and what South Jersey guy says is right.

Please please don't select your laptop based on looks. I know you may want to be trendy and all but if it looks good on the outside and sucks otherwise what's the point? If that is the point of conflict with your dad that's a bit silly on your part isn't it? If you want to customize it just put some stickers on it.

Definitely get as long a warranty as you can afford and as much RAM and Hard Drive space as you can afford but make the warranty a priority and as mentioned make sure it's onsite.

I used to work for Dell and their quality has certainly declined but they are still pretty decent. Nowadays I work with HP laptops (and have had one myself for the past four years) and have had no issues with them. The users I work with travel with them a lot and they see a lot of abuse so they're pretty durable.

BTW, let me ask you this, you said just the screen went out. Are you able to plug a monitor into the back and see everything? If so it may just be the "tube light" in there that's burned out. If it's the whole screen then that could be a pricey fix but it is pretty simple to swap out.

I agree with South...if you have the cash, go for a Thinkpad. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 right now and I'm not crazy about it. My computer before this one was a Thinkpad and the thing was a beast...that thing rattled around my book bag all through college and it ran like a champ.

Plus, Dells are know to run REALLY hot...if I leave mine on for an hour, you can fry bacon on it...

I'm an IT guy as well and if you have the cash right now, then the best thing is a Thinkpad.

I'm currently using the Thinkpad X40 (12 inch-er) from 2 years ago, and I haven't had one single problem with it. When it comes to reliability, stability, and battery life nothing really tops the Thinkpads. They are very simple, but they get the job done.

The fact that you can drop this thing a thousand times and it will still work is amazing. I've had my fair share of drops. The screen is cushioned and the hard drive has a fantastic protection feature.

We've had old Thinkpad R51's from 5+ years ago at work and we still lend them out to employees needing a laptop for traveling and what not.

If you want something ultra portable, get the X series. It comes with a 12 inch screen and weights about 2 pounds. If you want something bigger and more powerful, go with the T series.

It might be more money right now, but in the end it will save you.

I'm an IT guy as well and if you have the cash right now, then the best thing is a Thinkpad.

I'm currently using the Thinkpad X40 (12 inch-er) from 2 years ago, and I haven't had one single problem with it. When it comes to reliability, stability, and battery life nothing really tops the Thinkpads. They are very simple, but they get the job done.

The fact that you can drop this thing a thousand times and it will still work is amazing. I've had my fair share of drops. The screen is cushioned and the hard drive has a fantastic protection feature.

We've had old Thinkpad R51's from 5+ years ago at work and we still lend them out to employees needing a laptop for traveling and what not.

If you want something ultra portable, get the X series. It comes with a 12 inch screen and weights about 2 pounds. If you want something bigger and more powerful, go with the T series.

No one here put their Note book thru the abuse I do.

But like Crash said Thinkpads are purdy salty but the hold up.

I just broke one of the steel hinges on mine. :(

No one here put their Note book thru the abuse I do.

But like Crash said Thinkpads are purdy salty but the hold up.

I just broke one of the steel hinges on mine. :(

When I was at Dell we were sent a picture of a notebook from the parents of a soldier in Iraq. I can't remember the details of how it happened but the one corner was all melted and disfigured and it looked like a tank had run over it but when he picked it up and tried to use it it still worked. Battle tested baby, try and beat that with your cem...concrete adventures! :evil:

When I was at Dell we were sent a picture of a notebook from the parents of a soldier in Iraq. I can't remember the details of how it happened but the one corner was all melted and disfigured and it looked like a tank had run over it but when he picked it up and tried to use it it still worked. Battle tested baby, try and beat that with your cem...concrete adventures! :evil:

I use to ride around in a Ford truck with it mounted on a Jotto Desk.

Driving a Ford is like going to battle only worse :P

But all kidding aside no one seemed to have as good a support group as Lenovo/IBM.

Definitely not Dell

True, Dell support is pretty crappy and after I left it got crappier! :P

Hell, they spent millions and it still didn't improve much.

But in the grand scheme of things I am sure plenty of people have Lenovo/IBM/HP/Gateway/Etc. horror stories to tell.

True, Dell support is pretty crappy and after I left it got crappier! :P

Hell, they spent millions and it still didn't improve much.

But in the grand scheme of things I am sure plenty of people have Lenovo/IBM/HP/Gateway/Etc. horror stories to tell.

This is true but I've only heard horror stories about Dells support people :P

Thanks for the advice guys... I have a lot to think about. I've been reading reviews online, but since I don't know a lot of the "computer lingo" I'm a little confused on some things. My Dell worked fine for the four years I had it. I never had a huge problem. (Freshman year the battery stopped working so they sent me a new one. And uh I had the keyboard replaced once because I ripped a few of the keys off... hah.)

LA--I do this for a living (run a IT consulting company outside of Philly) and there are a few basic concepts that will keep you out of trouble:
  1. Get at least a 3 year onsite warranty--it is really worth the extra $$ at time of purchase--also don't get a "depot" warranty which means you would have to send it away for a repair
  2. At this point you should be getting a processor that is called dual-core either Intel or AMD are fine
  3. 2GB of RAM at this point is recommended especially if you get Windows Vista
  4. If you've never owned a MAC I wouldn't go that route--it's a whole different world

Hope that helps....

The inspiron I was thinking of getting comes with the 2 year warranty and then I figured I'd pay extra for accidental/theft warranty since knowing me ---I might drop it.

if you go Dell let me know... I get coupons once a month B )

Oh thanks! I'll let you know.

ht.

Please please don't select your laptop based on looks. I know you may want to be trendy and all but if it looks good on the outside and sucks otherwise what's the point? If that is the point of conflict with your dad that's a bit silly on your part isn't it? If you want to customize it just put some stickers on it.

Definitely get as long a warranty as you can afford and as much RAM and Hard Drive space as you can afford but make the warranty a priority and as mentioned make sure it's onsite.

I used to work for Dell and their quality has certainly declined but they are still pretty decent. Nowadays I work with HP laptops (and have had one myself for the past four years) and have had no issues with them. The users I work with travel with them a lot and they see a lot of abuse so they're pretty durable.

BTW, let me ask you this, you said just the screen went out. Are you able to plug a monitor into the back and see everything? If so it may just be the "tube light" in there that's burned out. If it's the whole screen then that could be a pricey fix but it is pretty simple to swap out.

Haha my dad knew I was joking about wanting the Inspiron just because it came in pink and I wouldn't choose a laptop based on looks alone no worries.

I'm the last of my friends to still have this laptop..... so I'm lucky that mine last this long. My friend had this same problem at the end of the year and it was confirmed that her monitor was completely dead and for the price of the new monitor it made more sense to get a new laptop. To be honest I don't know if my monitor is completely shot or if it's just the "tube light". The day before it went it started flickering and now I can turn it on for a minute before it goes to black. I'm just assuming the monitor is shot. In order for me to get my stuff off my hard drive I'm going to have to hook it up to my mom/dad's desktop.

HP is another option for me at the moment, but the Dell Inspiron 1420 seems to the be most reasonably priced with the "e-value discount" feature they have going on right now.

I was thinking about getting something 12 inches, but I thought it might be too small. Honestly I really haven't looked at too many of the thinkpads, but I'll check them out now.

Okay let me tell you.. the on-site warranty is expensive. A 2 year costs another $139 and the three year is $219. Why not do the depot? And do you think it's important to get the protective warranty against accidental stuff like spills etc because that's ANOTHER $249 for the onsite.

And for the hard drive do you think 80GB is sufficient?

Because this Thinkpad T61 that I just customized with:

2GB Memory

80GB Hard Drive

4 cell battery

2 year onsite upgrade + 2 year Thinkpad protection

This would cost me $ 1,422.00

Eeeeeek.

The Dell Inspiron 1420 with:

2GB Memory

120GB Hard Drive

9 cell battery

2 Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor, 24x7 Phone Support

Added Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 2Yr Warr.

This would cost me $1,267

DAMN RIGHT I am special !!! :P

LA, for the $150 if you could I'd say go with the thinkpad... I'll have to dig up my stuff (just got back from my geekfest at Gen Con so my place is a larger disaster !!)

I can tell you if you dim the screen proper you can get about 5 hours from the thinkpad battery from experience... I dunno how the Dell works....

I'm also an IT guy, everyone gave great advice on the first page.

I think first you should look into getting the monitor fixed, if you really don't want to buy a new one - it sounds like either the tube light, or a loose wire. It should be relatively easy for someone to diagnose whether or not it's easily fixable.

I've always had Dells, i have the 9300 (17 inch widescreen) that i LOVE, but it sucks for traveling - the thing is ginormous. It's a great desktop replacement, though.

From the two you picked out, I'd definitely choose the Dell - better specs for a cheaper price, why not? Also, the tech support is good, and in-home service is awesome...a few months ago a guy came to my house to replace my motherboard, instead of me having to ship my laptop to like India.

I've seen the thinkpads, I'm not too impressed...seem kind of gimmicky if you ask me...doesn't one of them have some sort of fingerprint sensor? Not something I need in a laptop.

80 gigs seems like a lot, but can go fast - but if you're not big on games, or downloading a lot of songs/movies, then it should defintely suffice. Also, if you do play games, get a halfway decent graphics card.

12 inches for a laptop is pretty small...I'm not sure if you said what your old laptop was, but definetly don't go smaller than what you previously had. Again, I have hte 17 inch and love it, but its a pain to take it anywhere. Also, it may be a bit overboard for some.

If you have any other questions feel free to give me an IM (screenname's on facebook).

Boy we must all be polite, helpful types. No 12 inch jokes yet at all.....(sorry, couldn't resist)

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the additional accident coverage as you can always be a little creative when you call for help ;) add a year and stick with the onsite plan

Compare against the HP's too while you are price shopping.

Edited by South Jersey Devs Fan

The Dell certainly does look like the better deal. How often did you have to call Dell in the four years you had the previous laptop, other than the two times you mentioned?

On Site warranties can be expensive, yes, but they are worth it. And good thing you brought up the accidental policy. That can be a lifesaver! Dell's CompleteCare was awesome. If you accidently break just about anything on your computer it will be replaced under warranty. You can even back your car over it as long as it was by accident. I guess others have that type of warranty too but for a while they didn't. BTW, that warranty doesn't work in Florida as far as I know.

CRASHER, I'm pretty sure Dell's have a way of adjusting screen brightness, even in the BIOS if if I remember right. Now that I think about it its usually set to a lower setting because I remember some jackass calling and complaining about it "Wahh it's too dim!"

As for the Depot warranty, it's a hassle, and you really don't want that hassle. You will be without your system for at least a week and there have been stories where it gets lost and such. Say you had to get something simple replaced, you'd have to send it to Ohio (not India, metallidevils :P ) and it's overnight one way, then overnight back but then a few days in between. Not worth it.

Boy we must all be polite, helpful types. No 12 inch jokes yet at all.....(sorry, couldn't resist)

Oh I was gonna, (hey, it's me!)...but thought I'd get the serious stuff out of the way first but it appears we now know why LA03 appears to be single and looking...even 12 inches is too small! :o:lol:

Edited by sammyk

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the additional accident coverage as you can always be a little creative when you call for help ;) add a year and stick with the onsite plan

Actually, it's better to get the accidental plan and be creative with it. I have seen where people will call in with a "blank screen" issue where an LCD was replaced and the one that came back is cracked. They are charged for the screen at that point. So not worth it as it'll wind up costing you more than the warranty. Perhaps LA03 is a good liar but who knows? I'm sure she doesn't want to get stuck with an $800 bill for an LCD panel in case she gets caught.

Oh and speaking of LCD panesl, LA03, please don't call it a monitor, just call it a screen. :)